UK Politics Thread (Part 2)

2 Likes

then we’ll agree to disagree. because looking at the statistics of who died, it’s pretty clear it’s the elderly and the weak.

still doesn’t supposed the number of 180,000 people being thrown around that were supposedly killed by Covid. pretty simple math dictates that the numbers just don’t add up.

We don’t disagree on this.

We just disagree on whether COVID killed them or not. You seem to think that it didn’t. But the reality is that all diseases pick off the weak and elderly first, because that’s where you find people with weaker immune systems. That’s why vaccines are being targeted at them, and the immunosuppressed first.

You’re still harping on this but not explaining how your “simple math” shows that it doesn’t add up.

EDIT: Our World in Data’s estimate is 141k, just for clarity.

1 Like

Penny and Kemi come across very blue and very cold… not getting any warm and fuzzy from those two (as per the bbc web commentary)…

Tom is far and away the best candidate and thus has no chance.

4 Likes

2 Likes

I still expect Tugendhat to be knocked out on Monday though.

2 Likes

I wonder if this poll will sway Conservative MP opinions, one way or another?

He’s the Rory Stewart of this contest. He’ll be thrown out of the party and driven out of town by pitchfork wielding, blue-rinced members of the women’s institute. How dare he show an iota of intelligence!

1 Like

I doubt it but it does serve to further show the divide in opinion over the different groups. From what I can see the cabinet favour Truss, the Tory MPs favour Sunak, the wider Tory party favour Mordaunt, but when you get down to brass tacks - a bit of honesty and straight talking from Tugendhat is what the party actually wants and needs.

2 Likes

If it wasn’t for the bloody fptp system there would be a moderate party of the Tugendhats and Stewarts who would have a strong role in government.

4 Likes
2 Likes

What we are not catching yet is the people who die long after covid, but with a clear path to what killed them. A friend of mine (52, ffs) got hit hard in February 2021. No particular complications in his health history, decent shape, not overweight, just got slammed by Beta (or perhaps an early Delta). Recovered, was back at work, felt basically fine in his own narrative. His resting heart rate was 8 bpm higher, however.

He died of a massive heart attack this Spring. Was it a covid death? Would never be recorded as one, but it seems very likely to have been a condition brought on by covid.

At the end of the day, excess deaths are the only real metric we can use.

4 Likes

So sorry to hear that.

3 Likes

Yeah, really the one death I am struggling to get my mind around. I keep forgetting he is dead and tell myself that we need to make plans.

6 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

Just out of interest how many screenshots of my posts have you in your library? :joy:

1 Like

You have so much more faith in these people than I do!

1 Like

Is this the flat earth group? :crazy_face:

Btw the flyer looks like something Le Pen would be pleased with.