UK Politics Thread (Part 2)

The biggest difference is how buildings are designed.

In hotter climates people consider the location of the sun, natural wind flows etc They design their homes to purposefully to keep cool.

That’s everything from reflective paints, external blinds, windows that create air flow, and just simply materials which either reflect heat or absorb it during the day and release at night.

A well designed building can be comfortable in the extreme conditions without air conditioning. A poorly designed one can be like a sweat box used as punishment in the Bridge over the river Kwai.

3 Likes

modern class rooms are now built for the climate and are conditioned.

i think we used to go home at 35 degrees or something…

doesnt happen now in my experience (there probably is an official threshold somewhere though) because of modern classrooms…but more importantly, most families have two working parents…

finally…hows the logic in taking us out of our shaded classroom and telling us to walk or ride home in the blistering sun…LOL…

i cant even imagine the logistics to it back then…‘when you get home tell your parents you were sent home…dont go straight to the beach and hang out with your mates…’

2 Likes

Yep, In Queensland back in the 90’s we would go home at 35 degrees.

I believe that that has changed recently as most classrooms are better ventilated and air-conditioned. But I can confirm that trying to concentrate and study in that sort of temperature is fucking hellish

1 Like

should be noted that 35 degrees from the closest meteorology beacon to a work site is the CFMEU (union) bargained official tempreture for work sites to knock off.

if you reckon school kids look excited when they get to go home before the bell…

to be fair, some worksites are hazardous at that tempreture…mainly outside or full glare trades…should be able to relocate…fitting off a cool and shaded bassment and going home because its hit 35 degrees on a beacon somewhere…ehhh

No.

1 Like

Except in the south of France where some stupid git in Paris (northern France) has designed all the houses for ‘us’ in the south. Great door windows facing south which leads to other smaller windows faceing north so when the mistral blows your furniture ends up outside. Freezing in winter, well damn cold and hard to heat, and very hot in the summer (30°C in my sitting room right now at 11o’clock in the evening.
One of the big mysteries to me is if EU integration is so great why can’t we have an Italian idiot based in Rome designing our houses for the south of France?

1 Like

Really? My understanding is that air conditioning is almost universal in Singapore.

Air-conditioning, helping global warming since it was invented.

Solar panels?

1 Like

:rofl:

We’ve all felt like that at some time or another.

Schools like universities definitely. For lower level schools like primary and secondary ones under government have a growing number of airconditioned classrooms but not prevalent as compared to such schools that are independently funded.

1 Like

Actually government schools still not many are airconditioned but there are a few who are and are marketing it as a advantage to parents. But beyond government funded schools, the independent ones alot of them have airconditioned classrooms from what I understand.

1 Like

We had air-conditioning in our school back in the day before it was even in regular use… It was called broken and smashed windows at the time… It was also the first lead free school in Liverpool also, although I can’t remember what the going rate was per ton for the lead flashing from the scrap man back then.!
Just shows we were ahead of our time eh :0)

2 Likes

How much asbestos?!

The cost of that stuff is imaginable.

I’ve come a cross it a fair bit now and I’m constantly dismayed at where it crops up and understanding what the likely process was for it being put in places.

For example. I’ve seen concrete slabs built with steel beams and then asbestos sheeting laid in between the beams to create a soffit onto which the concrete is poured. Great idea but just the wrong material especially when you realise some poor carpenter was probably cutting that stuff with a hand saw (no mask, gloves or anything) before dropping it into place. They just didn’t know and it was the wonder material.

1 Like

No Aircon in my kids old primary school in SE Qld either. To explain, their primary school was a large number of individual prefab buildings so it was probably difficult to do. The main reception building was air-conditioned though.:roll_eyes:

The kids never went home in high temperatures either and I recall many days above 35 (only just above. Maybe one day at 38). Also my son plays roller hockey and he trained in mid 30’s temps in Gympie in a tin shed, with nothing but a standard fan blowing.

I totally agree about the discussion from redalways about acclimatisation as well. Once you are used to heat, when the temperature drops below 15 degrees I remember feeling freezing to the bone. (I do wonder if there’s is something related to cold + humidity making it feel colder?)

Now back in UK and 15 is still pleasant.

2 Likes

It’s also about the leaking of refrigerants unfortunately… Most refrigerants used in air-conditioning have worse global warming potential than CO2.

I think you raise a good point regarding acclimatisation.

Even in Dec/Jan, I’ll offen duck down to the local Co-Op (about 2-3 minute walk) in t-shirt, shorts and thongs. But before moving to UK, I had a massive Liverpool puffer jacket that I bought at Carrara Markets that I would wear whilst still in double figures

1 Like