UK Politics Thread (Part 2)

AMT? Am I being thick?

Ah, Trevelyan?

1 Like

Yes, Ann Marie Trevelyan I think. The two others to have missed committees are Priti Patel and Kwasi Kwarteng.

1 Like

She may end up the winner in the long term. Whoever wins this time faces a winter of discontent and may well lose the next election.

1 Like

Nige could be on his way back…which could mean further problems for the Conservatives…

Why is Farage attractive?

Should edit to avoid the question being too open:
Why is his message so attractive and is it still?

Blaming foreigners is always a vote winner.

2 Likes

Anyone know if Kwarteng’s missed committee meetings coincided with when Truss had a gap in her diary?..

:rofl:

I saw it was being rumoured that he skipped the meeting to be at the announcing of the last round of the leadership vote results

I don’t think it is that clear cut. I think his messaging appeals to people who are disgruntled, including the moaning middle classes of all hue, and also to the point you mentioned.

Yes to some extent still attractive. Those who liked his messages first time round will see that little has happened so far for the better and may be afraid that a new PM will reverse course. Nigel is quite charismatic and smarter than those who followed him as leader of UKIP.

Minford at least was a very serious economist, his rational expectations model for the UK was ahead of his time and effective at a time when orthodox UK economists really had no traction on what was happening in the 80’s.

1 Like

I think Liz as PM would make for better TV.

Absolutely. From what I can tell the issue with Minford amongst the economist fraternity appears to be largely around his failure to adapt his models since that period (particularly regarding trade).

I was fortunate to see him in a debate with Paul Foot for a school trip when doing A level Economics. Obviously the debate was somewhat manufactured, but still fascinating.

So its quite obvious that you guys, at least most of you here, do not fancy any of the 2 remaining candidates. But who would be the lesser evil here, since you all would have to live with one of them as PM for at least a period of time. OR would there still be a plot twist?

That would make sense, the ‘Keynesian resurgence’ of the late 2000’s (Krugman and similar) shared some of the same analytical foundations as the RE work but comes out to a very different place.

All that said, Truss’ policy formulations don’t make any sense at all. If Minford is endorsing the universality of the Laffer curve, he has essentially become an ideologue.

1 Like

Paul Foot the late journalist, I presume, rather than the comedian?

Yes :rofl:

1 Like

At first I was thinking, no way is redfanman that young :rofl:

As much as dislike Sunak’s world view, and think he has been a poor chancellor, I think of the two he is the more principled and competent candidate, so I would prefer to see him be PM than Truss.

I’d never heard of the comedian, my first thought was that you were referring to one of the chuckle brothers :rofl: