UK Politics Thread (Part 2)

The UK’s response to a car crash is … a bus crash!

1 Like

Speak for yourself.

2 Likes

She’d have been a t’riffic PM

She has also achieved nothing while in office and is a compulsive liar. She is also prone to gaffs - having to re edit a number of times. It is noticeable her polling was highest when few really knew anything about her and had since fallen down.

I dont think being a brexiter will count for all that much at the next General Election either.

2 Likes

Mordaunt comes across as more human than the other two. Sunak could be reptilian and Truss could be an android.

2 Likes

I think there is substantial recent evidence to suggest that the British public will fall over themselves to vote for a compulsive liar!

I am assuming that the key ‘battle grounds’ in the next election will be the seats that the tories have recently won from Labour, Brexit was very emotive in those areas and I think still will be. People will more likely align with a fellow brexiteer and will trust them more to ‘make the most of Brexit’ (Jesus wept).

2 Likes

I think the Tories and their media friends will go hard on the ‘culture wars’ to win next election. They’ll ask every Labour politician for their definition of a woman

3 Likes

At first I laughed, then I realised you were probably right. They’ll prob make sell identification a big issue as well. A lot of traditional labour voters are fairly socialy conservative.

3 Likes

For a second I thought that was death…

Just his pencil.

Yes, the pencil is mightier than the scythe…

2 Likes

It’s a point that many people seem to miss. Particularly the Labour party. That’s not to say that they can’t support socially liberal causes but they don’t need to be on page one of the manifesto.

I’m trying to remember who said it but it pays for a mainstream party to leave contentious issues to the backbenchers. I think the example given was the Abortion Act which was introduced as a private members bill by David Steel (a backbench Liberal MP at the time) but was supported by Wilson’s government who allowed a free vote.

5 Likes

I think this became much clearer after the last general election, and explains why Starmer is taking the positions he is.

1 Like

Minford was the economist that the hardline brexiteers were using to support their economic arguments on Brexit. So it isn’t much surprise that Truss is mentioning him here (whether or not he is indeed advising her :rofl:).

That’s such an arse about face way of doing this.

We need someone to support our crackpot (and secretly 1% approved) ideas so let’s roll out someone as an expert witness.

As opposed to the vast majority of economists (including the BoE lot) who vehemently said otherwise

2 Likes

I hadn’t heard of her either so got this from Wiki… :rofl:

To be honest just watched a video of her and she’s still better than 99% of the shit out there now being classified as music :joy:

Penny isnt going away quietly either!

3 Ministers have refused to appear in front of the parliamentary committees this week…