UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

Valid.

Just wanted to comment on this part, if I may.

There is definitely a sense where this is solid advice, especially for a small group of people who are on benefits and they have many children. I think that’s where the comment is coming from, and ideally, people in this category would be able to count the cost beforehand, not just financial cost, either.

Beyond that, I think about the overwhelming majority of parents when they have kids. There’s almost always a sense that you can’t afford them. Life will be disrupted and changes are coming. And the financial cost? There are loads of studies saying that having a kid costs hundreds of thousands of pounds, when you factor in everything you provide for them, to see them through to adulthood.

Against such a backdrop almost nobody could afford to have a kid.

Yet they do, and they manage! And, without going all soppy about it, it is one of the marvelous things about the human condition. The next generation is brought in, raised up, and released to hopefully change the world and do a bit better than their own parents.

Reducing the magnitude of that to an economic transaction makes it sound a bit like, “If you can’t afford the car payment, stick with the little runabout.”

I know where you are coming from, and it is sound advice for people to count the cost before having kids, but the whole enterprise is much bigger than the economics, and most people who have kids, to their immense credit, find a way.

3 Likes

Kids are hugely expensive, no question. We ‘re struggling with the cost of residential dance camps over summer for Jnr. But if you can’t afford the basics, don’t have them and more importantly, don’t expect me to pay for them.

No Way Reaction GIF

You are going to trigger @cynicaloldgit.

Isn’t the heart of the problem the fact that a substantial number of children are not exactly products of robust decision-making, and at a societal level we will end up paying for them one way or another? A school milk program is a fraction of the cost of incarceration.

That points to the surprise for me about Labour’s position on a cap of two children for benefits. I think of any household getting benefits for children as probably having made some poor decisions (quite possibly because it was never really a ‘household’ per se). I know it is a right wing bĂȘte noire, but women having more children to increase benefit payments have proven to be so apocryphal as to be a poor basis for social policy. There are undoubtedly some, but the vast majority of such situations are cases where women simply don’t have control over their own lives.

3 Likes

The leadership have all been quite vocal in the past about the negative impact of the policy that it caught quite a few by surprise when Starmer said he would not change it.

I don’t believe for a second that a Labour government would not change the rules, or provide an alternative form of support to effectively replace it even if it is kept in name only.

There are some elections coming up and it appears that his stance may have been an effort to appear financially responsible ahead of this. From what I have read this cap on benefits is fairly popular across both the main two parties (with I think about 50% of members in each party in favour).

I’m sure there could have been a better way of phrasing what he said though.

1 Like

Should the 12+ be a compulsory filter - 75% or more and you’re good to carry on?

No big deal, nothing to see here.

1 Like

Funny how suddenly when a pathetic snowflake gets dropped by his private bank it’s a crisis that needs such urgent intervention, but when it’s the environment, starving people, public sector crises, nothing.

Not to mention that the article also quite clearly states that the review of that snowflake’s account was triggered because he fell below the threshold which was required to maintain an account with them, and they felt that on the balance of things, the reputational risk that he brought to the bank was not worth the business he was giving them.

In other words, someone using his five minutes of fame to wrangle special treatment for himself. Colour me surprised.

6 Likes

Whilst it was terrific to see the Lib Dems’ demolition of the Tories in Somerton and Frome, as well as Labour’s record-breaking turnaround in Selby and Ainsty, the fact that the Conservatives narrowly (by a mere 495 votes) held on to Uxbridge and South Ruislip was depressing.

Of course, Sadiq Khan’s plan to extend the Ulez zone is being blamed for Labour’s inability to win Bozo’s former seat, when in fact it’s the shortsightedness of the voting public that’s really to blame. Planet fucked? So what? I can’t be bothered walking/cycling/using public transport.

1 Like

That’s discrimination though.

No it isn’t. Reputational damage is something brands have to take seriously. Look at Adidas and Kanye West, for example.

1 Like

Can’t believe you’re having to explain that to a self-proclaimed successful business owner

1 Like

I think the situation is also a strategic mis-step by Labour. They didn’t have a solid line on it, and went into the situation largely on the defence. The candidate started out already trying to make himself neutral and unseen on the issue (reminiscent of the leader of the party on any issue, perhaps), and only trying to take a clearer stand when it became clear that the Conservatives were trying to make the by-election all about that issue.

Instead, they should have been out campaigning on the spectre of health issues, and how the Conservative government (including under certain previous prime ministers) has been systematically underfunding the provision of public transport, and neglecting the NHS, resulting in a double whammy of the reliance on a car producing negative health effects (read cancer, adverse effects on the brain, etc), which then will not be treated by the NHS because they’ve been starved of funding.

Sadly, Labour just went with “ULEZ bad” despite being a Labour mayor’s policy. Pathetic effort, really.

2 Likes

Who the fuck said successful??? I might run a business or two but that doesn’t mean they make money.

Yes, they’re refusing to provide goods and services based on his political views. We’ve had this before. Can’t do it on ethnicity, colour, sex, race (none of which are views) or religion (which absolutely is)

Could always go into dog breeding like your neighbour :grimacing:

1 Like

Those bloody creatures