UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

Quite a few…this is why I said rules may have changed…

Surely the market solution to this is for care homes and fruit farms to improve working conditions and pay? Or does capitalism not apply here?

6 Likes

I don’t disagree, but I suspect the supermarkets have the farmers by the danglies so they can’t easily increase wages. But maybe that’s the way it goes. EU labour isn’t excluded by the way, just heavily restricted now. Shorter visas and a gap before they can return

I get the feeling that the UK is at the start of a large economic reset, and it’s going to hurt.

Completely agree.
To answer you and @Noo_Noo in one post.
There is no Dane Plan, but nice try at poorly constructed humour.

It was a simple suggestion that if the country is short of fruit pickers or other non skilled disciplines, then able bodied people, without mental health issues, on unemployment benefit, should be offered the chance to take up that work.

I get that circumstances vary, same as I get there are serial Loose Women watchers.
Everyone knows of a lazy benefit scrounger, same as everyone knows of someone who’s suffered from mental health issues which stop them working and lots more.
It’s not rocket science who need to be targeted.

Darn it, didn’t think it was that bad. Still I felt I had to call it something.

In principle I agree with your points. My point on travel is that I don’t think there’s a fruit / veg farm within 2 hrs of me here. Not one that demands hand picking I think. So that option isn’t really viable but there are other jobs that could be done.
Worth noting it is that kind of stuff that gets offered by job centres etc. Shit paying jobs that demand maybe 2hrs travel each way. You can’t blame people for not taking it up. Jobs being seasonal may also not suit. Loads of that round here too.

If my memory serves me right, a few years ago before Brexit, when the fruit pickers etc, came from Europe, the fruit farms provided mobile homes, mobile kitchen areas, washing facilities etc…if this system was used again people wouldn’t have to travel…
I’m sure other people have seen this, but if I’m mistaken, pls let me know…

All they needed was a crystal ball and ambivalence about parenthood?

This forum does provide insight into what it must be like to be completely devoid of empathy

1 Like

https://twitter.com/michaelglasper/status/1678449360185565198?s=20
:rofl:

this has always been my point.

we have same issues here in Aus, and people always use the default ;

‘if we do that we wont be able to afford the food’

but when you look at all the costs involved in getting a punnet of strawberries from the paddock to the plate i very much doubt paying the mug that picks them a few dollars more an hour would significantly impact the price point…and if it does, and you cant afford them, then maybe a pint or two less after work, or one less gucci handbags is the answer.

business can be a whinging bitch like that at times…its almost as if capitalism is only a driving force if it benefits the shareholders…

4 Likes

Ah, fair play to them. Something at least.

So this popped up the other day.

Basically Dowden quoted a figure that a Labour government would “cost” the UK. Now you’d normally think that this would come from some policy analysis or something similar. Fear not, it was a number dreamed up by Jeremy Hunt.

2 Likes

I agree…but praps it only worked for me…in a nutshell… 1st married for 5 years…hubby turned out to be a bit of a control freak…so no children to him…next 8 years(single) continued in my low paid council job, but took on part time bar work for extra income, so knew I couldn’t afford children…met mester wilkored08, but he had just started a new business, so income was tight…so no children as we knew we couldn’t afford them…then it’s too late…I thought it through and realised I couldn’t give children the childhood and life I had had…doesn’t work for everyone, but praps more should think…I know people on TAN will all have there opinions…but this is just my story…

3 Likes

The junior doctors strike that starts today, and will potentially be the longest one history, is getting very little mention, be it support or condemnation in the press -
Seems as though the Government have a magic wand they use to shut-down any news they decide against being put out there eh

“Today marks the first of a five-day walk-out of junior doctors, the latest in their increasingly bitter pay dispute with the government. If they complete the strike, it will be the longest in the history of the NHS.”

“Soon there will be no one left to see your friends and family when they show up at A&E.”

“For Dr Alireza Esfandiari, the crisis in the NHS is existential. The 35-year-old orthopaedic surgeon joined his fellow junior doctors on the picket line outside the Royal Liverpool Hospital today to fight for the very future of the nation’s health service.”

“No one wants to be here,” says Alireza. “I love my job. All we are asking is to be paid fairly for what we do. We make high-risk decisions every day. I am the main surgeon in most of the surgeries that I do.”

“The British Medical Association is demanding a 35% pay rise for junior doctors, which it says would restore pay levels to where they were in 2008 - with increases since that point wiped out by inflation. But talks with the government have broken down.”

AS Carol Vorderman has already stated, backed with her evidential trail of corrupt lobbyists that extracted billions of pounds from the PPE scandal - If the Government recovered these funds that were awarded under false pretences, the doctors could have the money they are ‘RIGHTFULLY’ justified in asking for

4 Likes

Bit of a grammatical error there, should read fighting for more money.

1 Like

We drool over the idea. And smaller government.

Just not through pissing off 99% of the population. If you don’t like your salary, do a different job.

Rishi Sunak is demanding ‘restraint’ on pay - what a joke (msn.com)

And they are. Good for them. The main problem is that because the NHS is struggling to recruit, the staff making a career change piles on immense pressure for the remaining health care workers who end up on leave due to stress, which then piles on further misery on any staff left.

We’ve seen this play out in local government already so it’s not terribly surprising to see this service failing due to being gutted by the Tories.

4 Likes

Fixed for you while I’m in a particularly mischievous mood