UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

No, Nunez is cupable of that on more than an occasion or 2 as well!

Epic level mental gymnastics to come up with that conclusion.

I can’t help think it’s election driven and possibly by some faction within the Conservative Party.

Just weird.

It is. Bringing back a supposedly “moderate” Tory (er, has everyone forgotten about austerity?) is meant to prevent the government from haemorrhaging seats to the Lib Dems in the next general election.

Good luck with that.

3 Likes

It’s a weird hill for anyone to die on, given it’s an entirely performative statement and it has absolutely no impact on the situation. Israel aren’t going to stop bombing Gaza because of an amendment in the UK Parliament.

All Starmer had to do was say it was a free vote. All the rebels had to do was abstain. Now, between them, they’ve caused damage to the Labour Party on it way to a massive general election. And the end result whichever way the vote went was that Isreal are going to keep bombing Gaza. It’s batshit politics from all concerned.

5 Likes

I’d imagine about this.

Which just shows the full spectrum insanity of the Conservative Government. Legislating that Rwanda is a safe country? You can’t just legislate to make things you want to be true. Rishi might as well introduce legislation that he is six inches taller than he is.

3 Likes

I saw something reported by Robert Peston yesterday which was even more batshit crazy. Essentially, they wanted to allow Rwanda to send back any asylum cases that they didn’t like the look of to the UK. So essentially like picking teams at school except the first captain gets to choose all the best players.

In essence, Rwanda gets all the genuine refugees and the UK has to deal with the blaggers, murders, rapists and awkward cases.

1 Like

Isn’t it the genuine refugees who need the shelter and protection from a thuggish regime?

1 Like

Well, in fairness, they wouldn’t be in Tory Britain.

1 Like

Brilliant. So Rwanda have basically called out the Tories on their scam?

And yet they’re going to , apparently. We’ve entered a new dimension.

1 Like

‘Not surprisingly, this all started with Johnson. A year and a half ago, he made the announcement that anyone entering the UK illegally could now be “relocated” to Rwanda. The central African state, he said, was “one of the safest countries in the world, globally recognised for its record on welcoming and integrating migrants”. There would be no cap on the numbers of asylum seekers affected and Rwanda would have the capacity “to resettle tens of thousands of people”. The policy was “fully compliant” with the government’s legal obligations.’

I wonder who dreamed up the idea in the first place? Clearly wasn’t Johnson who is clearly not able to go through any thought process on his own.

Needs a next level of cuntishness to think it up in the first place.

Also in the Politics live feed that the Grauniad was running yesterday, they pointed out that the declaration of Rwanda as a safe country was also that idiot’s idea.

1 Like

There are apparently other countries that had sent asylum seekers to Rwanda before we had. Someone mentioned it yesterday following the court decision - apparently that country was unhappy that Rwanda had cheated on its agreed deal in some way, can’t remember the details.

Israel.

If I recall correctly, it’s precisely that the Rwandan government was engaging in refoulement, which was essentially the key point in which the judgment was decided. Refoulement of asylum seekers is illegal under international law, and the Rwandan government did that, or at least engaged in actions they knew were likely to result in that, despite international law, and the agreement they made with Israel.

3 Likes

1 Like

JRM? PP? SB? RS?

There are plenty of options who fit the boot

He’s not very imaginative. I can think of dozens of instances of legislatures deciding what is ‘fact’ against all evidence.

Surprised the government has not negotiated that the camps are effectively embassies. British land in foreign country.

Or even simpler use a one of those islands far north of Scotland that no one lives on. They could have achieved the same heartless result without all the difficulty. Made their far right happy and provided same messaging.

Far better than building a big boat or jumping through hoops.

1 Like

They want rid of them pure and simple. Once gone they can be forgotten, whether they are a genuine refugee or not.

The government has zero intention of actually processing asylum applications. They believe that they are all illegal and there’s no such thing as a refugee that’s travelled from wherever, through France to get here. They know better of course, they just aren’t saying it.

More difficult if they’re still on UK soil I guess. That doesn’t cover the embassy angle though.