UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

Alternative headline: Keir Starmer swallows bit of sick while doing something that seems to be necessary to win an election in the UK.

As I think you had to do to type that. We’re talking about a person whom many on the left consider to be the literal incarnation of the devil. The person to whom he’s just sold his soul.

I’ll rightly get flamed for this but at least she had a balanced economic plan. This lot have nothing, especially after Truss went full maniac.

Other stuff yeah, no real words to describe her.

I found this a fascinating interview

2 Likes

Its more than that, its not just a lack of credible ideas but they’ve deliberately moved away not just from social conservatism but even Thatcher’s brand of free market conservatism which saw a lot of the initial shift in working class votes away from labour in the 80’s.

There is a real risk of further alienation of the left of the Labour party in doing this, obviously, so it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Yeah, they’ve moved to something but I’m not convinced even they know what it is, or where they’re going right now.

Hence the poor predicted growth figures.

The same economics guy in the interview above examines the recent Autumn statement. I haven’t watched that yet but I don’t think he’s overly excited about it shall we say.

Blair said exactly the same. Unless Starmer has had a Damascus conversion to Thatcherism late in life, it doesn’t chime with his previously expressed opinions.

Just screams opportunistic hypocrisy. As you know. And he’s writing in the Telegraph?

Utter sell out.

And funny as Goldbridge when United lose again.

It only becomes ‘necessary’ if they start doing it. No way in hell that he needs to do this to be considered electable.

2 Likes

Yeah. It’s a huge sign of weakness.

1 Like

If anything, it might cost him votes with traditional Labour voters.

1 Like

True but centre ground is where elections in the UK are won. Sadly UK is pretty much centre right on the political scale so Starmer’s going for that.

It’s a shame that many that would normally look at voting labour in a left of centre sense are pretty disconnected from voting.

Trademark politician, making whatever hollow statements are necessary to entice gullible voters.
The man is a fucking wet blanket, and despite there being an incumbent wet blanket in number 10, this idiot would outdo the current one in wet blanketry

3 Likes

I don’t think he does either. But he thinks he thinks he does, which is the issue. Honestly, Starmer has been a Labour Party member and activist since he was a kid. There is no way is instinct is to praise Thatcher. One of his advisors has told him it would go down well in the Tory heartlands if he throws a bit of praise at their cult leader.

1 Like

Maybe he had crossed his fingers behind his back?

Starmers strategy, piss off the left of the party then rally the right of center of some other party, with his fingers crossed behind his back all the time. :rofl:

1 Like

I think cognitive dissonance stalks the corridors of Labour HQ right now. And some members of this forum.

And yet :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::joy::joy::joy::joy:

In which case he’s throwing out everything he knows and believes on the advice of some policy wonk.
Hardly inspires confidence.

I don’t for one second think that Starmer is a Thatcherite, but it’s a sound bite to try to win some votes on the right side of the middle.

He doesn’t have the same charisma, but it’s not unlike Tony Blair dragging Labour to the right (relatively speaking) in order to be electable.

1 Like

The difference being Tony blair was a very good politician, Starmers a stuttering imbicile in comparison!
Thankfully Starmers up against real hard core imbiciles!

1 Like