UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

Major certainly did negotiate and there was a ceasefire. My understanding is that various members of his party were against any compromise on prisoner release which stalled the peace process.

3 Likes

It was Mo Mowlam that ā€˜had the ballsā€™ to talk to paramilitaries, and build genuine relationships on both sides of the divide.

Blair just stepped in at the end to take the glory. Mowlam famously remarked ā€œIā€™m just the tea lady around hereā€ when Blair took credit for her work.

Bastard has made a fortune boasting about it round the world since, whitewashing his Middle East warmongering

3 Likes

Couldnā€™t agree more with this. Mo Mowlam was an incredible woman.

5 Likes

Tony Blair was, and continues to be, a fucking horrible cunt.

2 Likes

Still well thought of here. Though my kids only know her as a play parkā€¦the best one in Belfast, beside Stormont.
i.e. ā€œcan we go to the mo mowlam today daddy?ā€

4 Likes

I havenā€™t read his article but i suspect many of those criticising Starmer for it havenā€™t either and are largely just resorting to their own prejudices, perhaps based on the headlines alone.

He wasnā€™t from what I have seen of the article and that written about it actually praising Thatcher. The article was basically to say that a government that has a clear aim and public support can deliver effective change - this current government has neither of those things and will just amble from one crisis into another, and this will continue if they are re-elected.

He contrasted this with three examples of previous governments - two labour and one conservative because he was writing an article in a conservative supporting paper it had to include at least one. Beyond Thatcher, who else could he realistically pick?

He also set out his case why Labour would be the better option.

4 Likes

Exactly this, I read it last night.

As an aside, a teacher called JOB yesterday to tell the story of a kid who asked to take home the potato cuttings from art class because there is no food in the house.

I completely understand why Starmer doesnā€™t resonate, he doesnā€™t resonate with me either, but these cunts need to go, and if ā€˜praisingā€™ that ghoul gets us there, I can swallow it.

5 Likes

This bit being very important. I get the impression that the current shower has literally no idea of how to make policy other than to try to scam money out of the public purse. That probably accounts for why they seem to want to micromanage everything.

1 Like

Fuck me that is upsetting even through the medium of fourth/fifth hand via an internet thread half the world away; must be absolutely heartbreaking for the teacher(s) who experience it directly (before we even consider what it means for the children themselves).

3 Likes

Mateā€¦it kept me awake last night.

These fucking pricks that exist only to funnel money upwardsā€¦

1 Like

The unhappy reaction to your post is for the first paragraph. Thatā€™s awful.

Only this morning I was looking at a BBC article on how standards in writing, reading, maths and science have fallen off a cliff in Wales.

Big part of that is pandemic but when you look closer thereā€™s a decline in science I think it was across the UK for the last 12 years.

That really doesnā€™t bode well.

my sister has her masterā€™s degree in education, she worked with at-risk youth in the school district for 15+ years. it pretty much broke her, so many kids were at the mercy of their neglectful parents who would piss away their monthly income on drugs and alcohol and not put food on the table or clothes on their backs. End of summer, I would gather up the clothes that I couple spare for the upcoming winter and send them with her to school so these kids has jeans/sweaters and a pack of wool socks.

4 Likes

ā€˜Fortunatelyā€™ deprivation used to be far less frequent than it is now. There are people with meaningful, full-time employment who canā€™t put food on the table.

I have no doubt there have always been shit parents. Now there are good parents who just cannot survive thrown into the mix.

To be blunt, I donā€™t care why theyā€™re deprivedā€¦all I give a shit about is the fact that no child in a country this rich should ever be hungry.

10 Likes

Got to admit, while Iā€™m on a decent wage, some may say excellent, I feel like Iā€™m being hammered financially from every direction right now.

Lord knows how some people manage. Itā€™s just tragic, and decades in the making. Iā€™d even argue some aspects deliberate too.

1 Like

what killed her the most was the parents walking around with $1000 iphones and their kid doesnā€™t have socks on. She quit that position a few years ago. itā€™s becoming far too prevalent

All of them ?

1 Like

I donā€™t know bud, Iā€™ll ask my sister. These are just what sheā€™s told me over the years. I donā€™t make this shit up.

Maybe not however you could well be perverting the story!

My ex and her daughter are both social workers, itā€™s tough. Particularly for her daughter who works with kids.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not, and I really donā€™t care if you believe me. People ask why I am so jaded against society these days, and I truthfully tell them Iā€™ve seen enough shit to believe in the worst of society.

My neighbor is a retired EMT, did the Vancouver downtown east side area for 20yrs because heā€™s got the personality to deal withā€¦the poorest postal code in the country.

Thereā€™s a report in Aus this morning about the standard of literacy and numeracy being the lowest in 20 years despite aus ranking as one of the highest worldwide

1 Like