UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

Yeah the overlap between the cohort of kids who don’t have food to eat and cohort of parents with latest iPhones is going to be miniscule. Reporting the anecdotal incident can then be turned into a riff about poverty being driven by ‘lack of parental responsibility’ instead of looking at the role of govt and society. Reminds me of a complaint of the late @Klopptimist that food banks clientele were late model BMW drivers…

7 Likes

But some people prefer it that way

Or

There are leaders and followers

Or

I was from that background and I’m doing great - if I can anyone can and so they’re just lazy

And so on!

2 Likes

Interesting. Has that drop been a fall over a period or just the result of COVID?

For Wales and then the wider UK it needs a bit of a deeper dive. There’s more going on than just the after effects of COVID isolation etc.

It’s easy to plump the blame on Tory government cuts but the Welsh government is Labour and education is devolved.
It has some parallels with the health service I think.

No doubt covid has played a part, but several experts are saying it is down to the rise of social media and online gaming

1 Like

Why would that specifically affect numeracy? Literacy, I could see as it is likely that they are reading less long-form literature.

1 Like

So much wrong in this country.
Hungry children.
Homeless people.
Multiple charities looking for much needed funds.

1 Like

Johnson giving evidence in the COVID inquiry today. Looking forward to the lie count on this one.

Put them on the Bibby Stockholm?

Cruella has just been interviewed on Radio 4. The number of times she mentioned stopping the boats was embarrassing.

“One-trick pony” doesn’t even come close to summing up her very limited repertoire.

1 Like

Colour me surprised.

Not.

1 Like

Sunak flailing like a mofo during questions after his impromptu presser.

Every question so far has been , will you resign if you lose the vote ?

1 Like

And Honest Bob Jenrick has resigned as immigration minister.

Meanwhile Braverman giving her particular view on how we democratically voted to break international law.

2 Likes

In the agreement with Rwanda, they are clear that they will not agree to anything that breaks international law. I really don’t understand where the government thinks it is going with this.

We’ve also agreed we’ll take Rwandans in exchange which seems to entirely defeat the point, and they can send back anyone they don’t fancy.

Starmer absolutely tore the agreement to shreds in PMQs.

3 Likes

“Stop The Boats” is basically saying, “Ooh, look! A squirrel!”

1 Like

Fify

1 Like

:laughing:

1 Like

Just having a laugh.

In real UK politics news - The government is arguing about how best to abuse human beings for political gain.

5 Likes

December 2023.

The Government is pushing forward legislation to effective override the Supreme Court’s judgement that Rwanda is a safe country for Asylum Seekers. They are asserting Rwanda is safe while at the same time insisting that the prospect of being sent to Rwanda will be enough of a deterrent to stop people coming to the UK.

There was no ‘small boats’ problem in 2010. Since closing legal routes of entry, migration into the UK has effectively been outsourced to criminal gangs. And the backlog of 140,000 people is also a Tory creation, having stopped processing claims, instead putting people in semi-permanent hotel accommodation

But instead of fixing this the logical way, The Government have given Rwanda £150m of public money for exactly nothing in return, and according to the deal we have signed Rwanda will take 200 people a year against that backlog of 140,000 people, at a cost of £400,000 per person. And if Rwanda don’t like them they can send them back, and we’ve also got to take Rwandan nationals - presumably the one’s they are keen to get rid of - in return.

And we further find ourselves in the position where Rwanda - a country that still murders and disappears political dissidents - is able to hold the moral high ground of the elements of the Tory party represented by Suella Braverman and Robert Jenrick by warning them that if they break international law, then they will pull out of the deal.

Imagine trying to explain this to someone in 2003. They’d think it was a joke.

6 Likes

I watched this this morning and it was absolutely spellbinding , for all the wrong reasons. I actually found myself thinking that I’d never seen a less impressive PM , and then I thought of the one before , and the one before that , and the one before …

2 Likes