UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

wow … thanks for going to the trouble to deconstruct all that , and for revealing the source.

The piece was passed to me by someone who has a serious aversion to Islamism. I showed them your rebuttal , and although they accepted the source was seriously biased , their response was still deep suspicion of just exactly where this guy stands. They are talking from their experiences here in France of seeing supposedly moderate candidates taking a far more ‘islamist’ view of things once elected.

I get where they’re coming from, but the thing is, unless there’s a serious takeover by a group espousing Islamism in the party as a whole, I’m not sure if that’s a valid criticism. If he reveals himself to be a far more Islamist (and by that I mean political Islam) leader, then I don’t see how he won’t get removed eventually, if that’s the will of the party membership.

I think the bigger threats are the potential backlash against any Muslim leader of any sort in the UK, at least for now.

I’m far more concerned about the white nationalist threat in UK politics at the moment than I am about a potential “Islamist” threat. I’m not that familiar with French politics/current affairs, but from what I’ve read, the far-right is by far the bigger problem, both in and of itself, but also the reaction it triggers in minority groups.

3 Likes

Scotland is more likely to be bought by China or invaded by Russia than taken over by Islamists.

3 Likes

Thank you for this🙏. I am angry, this govt is getting money out of people who are disabled, vulnerable people, middle income earners, who don’t have well off parents, with great pensions to bail them out.

lol … I don’t think anyone is suggesting a Tartan Caliphate just yet , but we should be alert to the possibility of policies being pursued that might encourage separatist (religious) schooling.

A leading scientist on the government’s net zero plans.

“Mind-bogglingly stupid” sums it up quite nicely, I believe.

3 Likes

I thought these schemes had been shown to be economically unviable. They tried to do it at Longannet but abandoned the scheme. Renewables made the whole powerplant surplus to requirements shortly afterwards.

2 Likes

Shockingly , the old far right (Front National) in France is now very much the mainstream party of the right (Rassemblement National). They’ve contested the last two Presidential run offs and increased their vote share significantly each time. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see them prevail next time.

We aren’t French…

…thank God.

1 Like

Maybe I’m being naïve, but I don’t think he has the political capital to pursue such policies, especially considering there would be some degree of anti-Muslim bias against him to begin with?

1 Like

Speaking of which…since when is voter fraud a problem in England? 4 convictions require photo IDs now? This is disenfranchisement by stealth

3 Likes

For coal-based power generaton, never going to be viable. The Co2 stream is too polluted. But for natural gas processing, the economics may work at some point. The CO2 stream is much purer and by definition the sulphur and similar pollutants are removed. At a certain CO2 price per tonne, it is possible to make it work.

But that is a long way away from being able to scale it to be the core of a national strategy.

2 Likes

Heaven forbid we spend our lives eating great food, drinking fine wine, shagging hot women and retiring at 62.

3 Likes

… and fresh fruit and veg in the local supermarket …
Ruttabagga rules!

It wouldn’t have to be Muslim specific. They could introduce legislation for faith schools as a whole.

Absolutely. It’s the kind of shit the republicans do in America. Designed to disenfranchise younger/Labour voters, ethnic minority voters, and poor people. It’s not even subtle. Young people’s comparable forms of ID to older people - like travel cards - are disqualified.

Here’s a stark example. An expired older person’s travel card is accepted, whereas an in date student ID is rejected.

The Tory’s rejected the Labour amendments that would have mitigated this.

This is why we have to get them out. Even if you naturally lean right. There are bigger issues at play than economic policy. These are attacks on democracy, and it will get worse if they are allowed another five years.

2 Likes

Bit rich talking about attacks on democracy mascot when you have derided, insulted and then demanded that Brexit be reversed…seems attacks on democracy only count if they align with your political beliefs, if they don’t then those kind of attacks on democracy are ok.

1 Like

You’re gaslighting aren’t you? When even the arch Brexiteer Telegraph admitted that people were fed demonstrably false information on every level and used a vote that the ruling Tories themselves acknowledged as indicative and not legally required to damage the country solely for their political gain?
The Greeks, progenitors of democracy, said that it’s for an informed electorate, not only were the electorate ill-informed, they were lied to about what the EU is and our relationship with them for years. Complete breach of the very definition of democracy

2 Likes

Just as a point of information, I have never demanded Brexit be reversed.

And Brexit itself, of course, was one of the greatest attacks on democracy that we’ve ever witnessed.

1 Like