UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

Some love to hark back to British Rail as a counter argument to nationalising the railway.

Other countries in Europe have successful state run railways, why can’t the UK? Where is that British competence, confidence and spirit the Brexiteers preached about in the run up to the referendum?

The East coast mainline services did just fine when taken back into public control. Better than fine, actually, they exceeded expectations.

Rail operators like LNER and TFW are more impressive outfits than their privately ran counterparts.

3 Likes

Are the UK railways mostly owned by European country’s now… France in particular :man_shrugging:

It also ignores the fact that quite often the companies investing in our infrastructure are foreign countries. In fact the only Government not allowed to derive a profit from UK business is our own.

I think some elements are centralised. It surprised me when I came to NZ that the GP surgeries could access my NHS medical records (after giving them my permission)

What!?

2 Likes

As it is with any public service / utility company that has ever been privatised.

1 Like

Just giving a company your wife has shares in a policy boost via the budget. Bog standard Toryism. No biggie.

Polls showing a drop in those in favour of independence. Currently between 39 and 46%. I wonder why. I have a feeling the big winners will be Labour and SNP will take a big hit at the next election.

If Labour could take back even half the 40 seats they list to the SNP it could be a game changer. I’ve always said that a Labour Government without significant gains in Scotland would be difficult.

Professor Devi Sridhar telling it like it is:

Good on her.

3 Likes

I’m trying to remember who made the point of the difference between a national health service and a national sickness service but preventing long term disability is a great example of the former.

Not preventing long term disability is hugely costly. For a working age person there is loss of productivity and for retired people they can go from someone who is a care-giver to someone needing care themselves.

This lack of basic statecraft seems to be a marker of the current regime. Every government from Disraeli through to Brown has tried to maintain public health. Now you have health and safety regulations being scrapped in the name of “cutting red tape”, little preventative healthcare, a pandemic disease allowed to rip through the population with little, if any, regard given to the consequences, and raw shit spewed into the rivers.

Is the UK now, quite literally, the “sick man of Europe”?

6 Likes

Also related. Let’s get the sick people working too.

That’s because every government up to this one has understood at a very basic level, that good public health also means better productivity.

The current ones don’t really get this.

3 Likes

Says a lot that if @RedWhippet is correct about Disraeli then we’ve regressed beyond even Victorian times…

It’s very much the end result of the Conservatives’ Victorian “send them up the chimneys” mentality.

1 Like

I have wondered if it’s a genuine “blind spot” or something more sinister?

There were public health acts before Disraeli but he brought in a public health act with dealt with sewage and housing, a sale of goods act that dealt with adulterated food and a factory act which brought in some basic health and safety provisions and restricted child labour.

Naturally he was opposed by t’mill owners and the like but the statistics show a steady increase in life expectancy following that (World Wars excepted)

2 Likes

Weak PMQs from Starmer. Rishi had his brief nailed and an answer for everything. Thought calling him a softy was a little childish. Certainly that’s what I’d have come back with. “I’d say we were back in the playground again but I think due to the Government’s lack of action on pay they’re all closed today. pause Again”

Not the best performance from Starmer, but then I’m not sure that many people really pay much attention to PMQs.

I’m not sure I’d say Sunak had his brief nailed. He just did the usual ignore the question and do a prep repeated attack line.

The ‘Sir Softie’ jibe was risible though.

Shouldn’t be voting then.