UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

1 Like

I’m assuming that most of those sales are from comedians who want to take the piss out of her.

And every journalist who has written about her of late

1 Like

Although they probably get free copies. At least the ones favourable to her will. OK, they’ve all had to queue up at Waterstones cackling like pantomime villains.

Just dawned on me that Kwarteng probably bought one to check if there were any juicy details in there. Plus a few from Tufton st in case they were thrown under the bus

My own experience in this tiny island Singapore is that a hybrid of privatisation and nationalisation works the best but more importantly, the will to ensure public transport remains fair and affordable but yet profitable for the operator. In Singapore, our MRT or equivalent of the tube, by and large remains affordable for us who use it and for low income people to get further subsidies. The listed company which was privatised from a national body, has to counsel with a government council if any fares are to increase so the government control the fares. And that works because the private company is no longer dependent on fares to be profitable. While fares make up more than 50% of their revenue, they only make up 10% of profits. Profits are now largely from rental of advertising and retail space. Some of our stations look like a mini mall. But that was key to ensure the private operators are accountable to shareholders and yet no immediate pressure to increase price. Any public transport system that sustains itself mainly on fares are not going to work well for both public passenger and their shareholders. And I agree it’s the will of the government to find something that works with the foundation that fares must be kept affordable

EDIT: Not too long ago, there was an article about him and how there was a conflict of interest between his second job and his party membership: Bereaved families angered by Tory MP’s second job at troubled NHS trust | NHS | The Guardian

2 Likes

“ I can well remember when I first qualified as a doctor and began working in the NHS in 2006. At the time, patient care had been radically improved and transformed by Tony Blair and Gordon Brown’s Labour governments, following many years of Conservative neglect and under-investment”

So he joined the Tories? :bell: :end:

1 Like

Jenrick is a fucking cunt.

I hope he gets hit by a bus on his way home from the BBC this morning.

I hope Laura is in front of that bus, too.

FMD…she is a useless hack.

To Nancy Pelosi, ‘Joe Biden is frail.’

‘I disagree.’

‘Maybe you’ll change your mind and provide me with the soundbite I want if I bring it up three more times.’

Just out of curiosity: why do you need a political party to be inspiring? Wouldn’t it be enough to vote in people who take their task seriously, try to take on the current mess, and aren’t corrupt to the bone? That would already be a large progress compared to what you currently have, no?

I for one don’t think that a political party needs to be inspiring. That’s rather something for artists and musicians.

1 Like

Inspiring - Giving someone positive feelings.
They don’t.

So what will you do? Vote for the uninspiring people of which you know that they are corrupt to the bone and totally incompetent, or for other people who don’t inspire you, but have at least a clean slate, as they haven’t been in power since ages?

I know what I’d do, but then again, I’m looking in from the outside, so won’t pretend to know better than those who live in the UK.

I’ll do what I did in the last election.
Vote for Lib Dems, to stop the SNP from winning my local seat.

2 Likes

There are so many people who haven’t grasped that our voting system is not only binary - it’s going be Tory or Labour - but entirely rigged towards the Tories to the extent that a vote for anyone other than Labour (in most constituencies) is a de facto vote for the Tories.

It’s really sad that what voting basically comes down to is voting for whoever is best placed to stop the party you hate the most. But it’s even sadder that scores of people end up splitting the left wing vote across 3-4 parties and the Tories end up walking into power on a minority of the vote share.

Well it’s their vote to do with it what they will.

Of course. I just find it sad that there are lots of left wing people who hate the Tories and everything they stand for, who end up voting in such a way that allows the Tories in on a minority of the vote.

It’s not their fault in a way. It’s our shit voting system. It’s the state of our democracy that absolute power can be handed to a party who maybe 25% of the country have consented to governing them. It’s a dreadful situation.

1 Like

Absolutely, just it seems the problems this country has at the moment , no single party/ individual can offer a realistic vision…just seems to be sound bites from all, but no real substance in policies being offered.

That coupled with people getting hammered by the energy crises and all that in between, really is depressing on many levels.

1 Like

Any thoughts on Reform splitting the right wing vote this time?