UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

I’ve got a German ID card and it’s very useful for all kinds of things.
Saves carrying my passport around.

3 Likes

Same here. However, having witnessed it first hand, German data protection is far more strict.

3 Likes

I oftentimes wonder if the “people” I respond to are actually people.

It is a strange thought, in this day and age is the output of two bots responding to each other any less insight full than two actual people?

The guy who led us in a pandemic

1 Like

I’m left wing and was opposed to ID cards when Labour tried to introduce them.

The main reasons being that at the time Labour, via their preferred private sector contractors, had an awful record of major IT programmes, and there was inadequate safeguarding of personal data. Also the costs were imposed upon the citizen.

1 Like

Walked into the polling station, asked if they could recommend any good scaffolders, presented my driver’s lic and passport to prove a point and voted without any issue whatsoever. If you can’t raise yourself to ownership of suitable ID after years of requirement, you shouldn’t be voting.

Don’t you have to pay for a passport? The cost of a German ID card is not much, in fact I’ve forgotten what it was.
As for data, all it needs is your name dob and address. It doesn’t need to include your favourite soft drink or football team. It’s no more onerous than a driving license or passport.

1 Like

I am surprised the government makes you pay for essentially a card that every British citizen can and should carry to eliminate any of alternate ID issues. The first one should always be free especially it helps public services to be more efficient when knowing who they are serving like voting in this case. But on the flipside maybe in the western world, there are always people who will reject these because the ‘government will screw up their information or use it to spy and track them’.

This is one of the reasons it doesnt get a lit of traction, we already have forms of ID we use that a lot of people dont see the need of a specific card - particularly if they are going to have to pay for it (which they will one way or another).

37€. I think it’s about 22€ for under 25s.

Germany still has separate driving licences and Krankenkasse (health insurance) cards. The UK system wanted to combine everything: NHS, NI, Driving licence etc. On the face of it, that is a good idea, but you have to make sure that you have adequate data protection in place and that there is no possibility of that data being misused, which is something UK Gov has a poor track record on.

1 Like

Capita? I gave evidence to police and parliament over the ILA fiasco. The police found it an eye opener. The parliamentary enquiry came out with the usual “lessons must be learnt” and presumably just made notes on how not to get caught next time.

2 Likes

2 Likes

26.9% swing in Blackpool?

So day to day, how do you guys identify yourself? For example, registering for university, what is the ID you use to identify yourself? Something like social security in the US? Or buying a house, how to prove the house belong to a certain person if there is no official common ID? Just a title deed?

Conservatives have had a disastrous night.

Redbridge constituentency is now Labour.

I hope an election is called soon.

1 Like

It’s time, Rishi.

You and the Tories can fuck off forever.

In the UK, personal identification can be done with a passport or driving license. Proof of address is usually “a recent utility bill”. I’m not sure if that has changed recently, but yes, the national ID scheme was run by the gas board.

2 Likes

Tories down 122.
Labour only got 52 of them.

We’re going from being fucked to being fucked.

1 Like

Ok but passports and driving licence are optional documents, you have it only if you need or qualify for it. What if a person has neither? And like buying a new house, I go to a developer and say I want to buy your house and he asks ok who shall I register it too? Can I just show an utility bill? If so I can practically assume anyone’s identity? Surely there must a system where I know who is who for sure?

1 Like

I remember being in a meeting at work, where a discussion on a recent abandonment drill was being discussed.
It was highlighted that many people turned up at the wrong lifeboat station, making it more difficult to confirm a full muster count.
The immediate suggestion from HSE was that people need to be mentored better to remind them of their correct muster point.

When you arrive on any installation, you are given THREE numbers to remember.
Primary lifeboat number.
Secondary lifeboat number.
Alternative liferaft number.

People remember things that are important to them, and 100% guaranteed that those who “forgot” their lifeboat number, didn’t forget what fucking time meals get served.

Same applies to voting ID.
If it’s important enough to you, you’ll get registered.

3 Likes