UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

Wow…turning away former military personnel attempting to use veterans identification.

2 Likes

By brother is not allowed to use his Royal Mail ID to vote, even though it is actually required for delivering the postal votes in the first place.

4 Likes

If you think your ID has been wrongly rejected, the Electoral Commission says you should notify the presiding officer at the polling station. If this does not resolve the issue, you can raise your concerns with your council’s returning officer.

So they have in place, people at each polling station to check and clarify if you think your id has been wrongly rejected, but I wonder how well publicised this will be for people?

Beyond that, it seems clear from the coverage that the definition of wrongly rejected is a function of which IDs are acceptable. So the veteran or the Royal Mail IDs are not being wrongly rejected, they are just being rejected.

1 Like

I was told you need an ID with a photo on it?

You’ll need one of the following types of photo ID to vote:

• a UK or Northern Ireland photocard driving licence (full or provisional)
  • a driving licence issued by an EU country, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, the Isle of Man or any of the Channel Islands
  • a UK passport
  • a passport issued by an EU country, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or a Commonwealth country
  • a PASS card (National Proof of Age Standards Scheme)
  • a Blue Badge
  • a biometric residence permit (BRP)
  • a Defence Identity Card (MOD form 90)

Seems that was wrongly rejected. Although can’t see anything on the Gov.UK about Royal Mail id, although seeing as that got sold off years ago and is now a private business, not sure that it would be government id

The Royal Mail IDs aren’t on the official list of voter IDs. They are only required when RM staff are handling the voting papers. There is literally no logic in it.

I noticed this on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/AdamDiver2/status/1785942693350088770

This chap has the government’s much advertised veteran’s ID card which gives similar accreditation to a Ministry of Defence Form 90 (e.g. you can get into the NAAFI) but is being regarded as a different form of ID.

It must be said that shitting all over ex-service personnel is a basic function of UK Government. I’ve never quite understood why they get dumped on so badly. I know quite a few ex-army guys in Germany who have a pathological hatred of the Tory party who are also, intriguingly, trained to kill.

2 Likes

That’s also the argument used in the US whenever efforts are made to stop poor people and minorities voting. You can say tough shit, we warned you, but it still has a massive effect, and the intention is ultimately dishonourable.

Rees-Mogg stood on a fucking stage, thinking he was among friends, and admitted that this was a gerrymandering effort.

Interesting stat. There have been more Tory MP convicted of sexual assault in the last decade than members of the public convicted of electoral fraud.

3 Likes

Not quite it has to be from an approved list.

That list is

• Conservative Party Membership Card

List ends.

Don’t worry because Labour will remove the requirement to prove you are who you say you are before you can vote. After all, no other country in Europe makes you do that.

1 Like

In other European countries there are more established ID systems to base a challenge requirement on. We don’t have that.

With only (if my memory is reliable) nine convictions for voter fraud over the last decade, most relating to postal voting (which you do not require ID), I would like to know what problem ID checks are attempting to solve - other than the problem of people not voting for the Tories.

2 Likes

I think i read from fact check or somewhere similar that at the last election people turned away on ID grounds usually came back with ID that met the criteria.

2 Likes

In the UK, so citizens do not have like a generic ID common to people throughout like a common national ID?

Nope. Carrying a card in your wallet/purse is an infringement on people’s freedom, apparently.

2 Likes

The previous Labour government had tried to introduce them but made a hash of the policy.

The Count Binface logo on the ballot paper is deadset hilarious.

UK democracy’s strongest feature is its sense of humour.

Now to settle in for the night and watch the Tories burn…

2 Likes

Tory skullduggery aimed at making it difficult for younger people to legitimately vote?

Not in this case, although the fact that OAP travel cards are accepted but student ones aren’t is what you describe.

Opposition to ID cards is just the usual brain dead drivel from rightwing nut jobs.

1 Like

So whats the fuss about to register to vote?

I think a bigger factor when the Blair government tried to introduce it was the fact that they wanted ordinary people to pay directly for it, and a lack of trust of government which went back to the poll tax.

1 Like