UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

Are people feeling any better off, or noticing prices falling? Sunak can go on about inflation falling significantly, and while it’s good that it’s down, it’s not going to translate into electoral success.

1 Like

I’m guessing you don’t live here? Or if you do you don’t do your own shopping? The cost of things in the shops, electricity, petrol, etc etc etc have gone through the roof post COVID, Ukraine. The inflation rate dropping mean the cost of things increasing slows, doesn’t mean they go down. Surprised I have to explain this.

1 Like

I do live here. What’s with the patronising reply?

Do you honestly believe the public will listen to Sunak going on about inflation being at 2.3%, and feel any different, or change their voting intentions because of it? That’s what I’m getting at. It’s not going to make any difference at the ballot box.

Screw this, I’m outta here.

You said, and I quote “everyday folks won’t feel any different”

I wasn’t patronising beyond explaining that everyday folks have been crippled by massive inflation. How in the 7 hells can they not feel any different if that rampant increase decreases? I might be missing something. Do please explain what I have wrong.

Ultimately, what do most people care about? Well, those with the homeostatic fortitude to vote at any rate. The money in their pocket. The Conservative party are not winning the next election on their track record on the NHS, Police, Schools etc etc but showing the electorate that they’ve managed a crisis and put us on a bright path is literally as good as it’s getting for them.

One of the narratives from the local elections was that people had stopped listening to the Conservatives. However, until this week it looked like there might have been 2 or 3 cuts to interest rates this year, which could along with the fall in inflation have helped reinforce their message that things had turned around for the better (and that under labour it would be worse).

As of this week the view appears to be that we will see only one small cut to Interest Rates this year (and there is a divergence of opinion on how the medium term inflation rate will fare).

1 Like

Prices dont and will not come down much, if at all. Damage is done.

1 Like

Never said they would. Inflation decreasing slows prices rising. Am I missing something here or are people reading things they think I’m typing rather than what I actually am?

Seems I’m the man when it comes to political news:) Seemingly things can only get wetter :rofl:

1 Like

Over to you Kier, pass the popcorn :slight_smile:

IMG_8110

6 Likes

Election time is when you get the chance to jump out of the frying pan into the fire.
Nothing to be enthused about.

Energy prices are coming down.

2 Likes

Officially called for July 4th

Two conclusions

1. The tit is dry. There is nothing left for these bastards to suck out of the economy.

2. Today’s very mild upturn to the inflation situation is as good as it’s getting, and winter is going to be grim.

Let’s get these cunts out.

2 Likes

Put him on ignore. Honestly, I should have done it years ago.

3 Likes

Yes, i think you are. Wages have not risen at the same pace as prices. Tomorrow people will still be as skint as they were yesterday.

Lower inflation is welcome for sure but it doesnt give more people money overnight. It can signal a reduction in interest rates which could help some people on existing mortgages or house buyers.

1 Like

https://x.com/scottygb/status/1793315621662290087?s=46&t=Tk6buFVfyHeITdfFRWCVMg

A soggy Sunak can barely be heard over ‘things can only get better’ anthem. Beautiful and hilarious

9 Likes

True, food, fuel, insurance, water, and so on wont. Many that were snagged at findinw mortgages during Truss’s disaster will be locked in for a while yet.

But we can rejoice at lower interest rates for our credit cards and loans.

Season 21 Episode 6 GIF by Law & Order

1 Like

Well, at least 4th July is an easy date to remember, given that our American cousins celebrate giving the Tory PM, Frederick North, a kicking.

3 Likes