UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

Agreed; I’ll be holding my nose while I vote Labour for the first time in my life, purely to get the Tories out.

4 Likes

It’s just cos-play. For him the biggest part of being PM is ‘projectinf an image’. You know behind closed doors he is the worst kind of social climbing snob.

3 Likes

Be like finally flushing a huge turd, only for another one to surface after the flush.

2 Likes

Not having an umbrella in the UK should be a crime!

Pretty much summed up the state of British politics…I can imagine Putin and his cronies having a good laugh. Shambles.

In Wales we are traditionally gifted one at birth, but after extensive government funded research we found that they are very poor in horizontal rain and bouncy rain.

We therefore now opt for superior drying systems. However, a downside of this is that the true indigenous peoples of Eryri (Snowdonia for the colonialists), Cambrian and Black mountain ranges are on average 6" shorter than the average Briton.

We have many such traditions.

6 Likes

Saying “Whose coat is that jacket” is one of them

3 Likes

Only snowflakes use umbrellas.
Its only water :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Reminds me of a comment from my (Scottish) son on first seeing Germans scuttling for cover when it started raining, “What’s their problem? It’s warm and it’s coming down vertically.”

7 Likes

6 Likes

It’s somewhat related, after all the governing party is the one that told us it was fixing the roof while the sun was shining :rofl:

3 Likes

I thought the Lib Dems were the main challengers in your area?

1 Like

From an outsider point of view, just looking at information available in public and as a layman, with such an overwhelming loss in the regional elections just weeks ago, surely just slowing inflation is not going to reverse any sentiments felt by the people. It looks like a huge miracle for the conservatives to be retained as government.

2 Likes

Indeed. I particularly like the tradition of celebrating marriage with the gift of a wooden spoon.

Anyway off to research the impact of the new constituency boundaries on my voting intentions.

2 Likes

They have been traditionally, but speaking to local friends recently the clear thinking is that it’s best to vote Labour as every seat that the Lib Dems win increases the odds of a hung parliament, and nobody wants another one of those.

4 Likes

It won’t, and (as was discussed on the US thread) perception of inflation is what matters. What is happening to rents and mortgages, fuel and transport, basic foods.

There are a lot of things coming up which will hurt the Tories badly, including English holiday makers being inconvenienced by the latest batch of post-Brexit checks, weakening job market, small boats (which is likely to get worse during the summer), worsening health provision (summer is the quietest time for emergency health provision). It’s perception rather than facts that matter in an election.

1 Like

This is a good article, that goes into a bit of detail about how the election has landed with the Tory Party. People are not happy.

There are lots of rumours circulating about the election. I saw some speculation that there were moves for a leadership challenge over summer. The infected blood scandal is going to cost the taxpayer £10bn. Thames Water is about to collapse. It’s going to be another grim Autumn with bills rising and belts tightening.

This feels very much like a damage control exercise. But it also feels like a symptom of a reactive party that has lost control. They are flapping about from one day to the next, and there is no plan. The question that is being asked in conservative associations around the country is if Sunak is going in July, why not do it in May? It would have mitigated losses to local authorities, and they would have had more local activists to campaign. They’ve just lost six hundred councillors - who does he think is going to carry the message locally just two months later?

3 Likes

Oh, and another one to add to the pile. Sunak has today said/confessed/admitted that no flights to Rwanda will leave before the election.

4 Likes

Pretty much saying, “Vote for me for an act of performative cruelty.”

2 Likes

How much has destruction of the UKs asylum system cost the tax payer I wonder?

That figure goes way way beyond this Rwanda bollocks. The hotel costs etc etc. all to be included

3 Likes