UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

He put other people first.

Should have been shot at birth.

1 Like

Hefty demands especially when you think your party of choice couldn’t manage it in 14 years, or maybe that was their plan all along?

:0)

5 Likes

The fact they didn’t turn it round overnight (fact) is their fault. Labour will have every opportunity, with a massive majority, to fix it all instantly. You’ve no idea all the things I want to see KS do in the early morning of the day after the election. Can’t wait.

1 Like

Do you really think so? I haven’t bought a newspaper for at least 10 years. Who actually reads them these days?

1 Like

People access their “news” online.

That makes things even worse.

3 Likes

People complaining about them?

I have literally never come across a single person who has ever watched GB News, but I have seen numerous clips from left leaning folks telling me what a dreadful bunch of lying rotters they are.

3 Likes

As a matter of interest, does anybody on here buy a newspaper? I’ll buy the times when I’m going on a train for the crossword but not for the news.

1 Like

Haven’t read a newspaper in years.

What we can expect from Starmer largely depends on the majority he has to work with, but if, as polls suggest, we are looking at a 250-300 then it is only fair that expectations are high.

I don’t expect an economic miracle, as I think the Tory’s are leaving behind a skip fire. But a massive majority is a country begging for change. Starmer is a naturally cautious man, but that would be no time for caution.

Hell no, for me he needs to drive a massive political transformation.

1 Like

Hopefully he starts by destroying Cheaty and its owners.

3 Likes

I unfortunately have.

6 Likes

The father in law gets Le Monde and a local delivered daily. When I’m in the UK I will get the Guardian and The Sunday Times.

3 Likes

I just read that some Tories are actually talking about replacing Sunak before the election. lol

7 Likes

In the UK, I would occasionally pick up a Metro and spend most of the time doing the Sudoku puzzle.

Generally, I would get the actual news online, so if I was actually buying reading material it would be a magazine.

1 Like

But what about the House of Lords? The Conservatives have a sizeable majority there and there is a limit to how many new peers a government can create that could delay progress on any big changes that have not been part of the manifesto.

I never thought that would be a possibility, but I did start to wonder last week if it could actually happen given how poorly Sunak had done in his campaign and particularly after the D-Day debacle. Either way, we could see more people speak out pre-empting an expected change of leader after the election.

Can MPs switch allegiance still, or are they tied to their parties now the date for submitting candidates has passed?

I pay for the FT (online subscription) but read free articles from other papers regularly (so I don’t see Times or Telegraph stuff because it is usually paywalled.

5 Likes

It’s not just the ‘perceived mindset of tory voters’ - a lot of voters on the left also have similar opinions about immigration. Controlling immigration was after all one of the key arguments for Brexit, and support for Brexit pretty much split Labour (although it’s interesting when critics of KS from the left speak out against him on immigration, they don’t mention this particular point).

Also, the comments have to be seen in light of the proposals set out in the wider Labour manifesto, what they argue is the failure of the Conservative government over the last 14 years and the conservatives themselves say about their plans going forwards.

For example, Labour’s plan is to invest in clearing asylum cases and removing those who are genuine cases quicker. Investing in stronger border controls and anti-trafficking teams while working more closely with other countries. Investing in more aid to countries that need it to minimise the need for people to flee to countries like the UK.

In terms of people coming here to work, Labour are proposing changes to prevent employers recruiting from abroad if they are not paying fair wages or have some other employment law breach. It also goes hand in hand with a requirement for employers to have a plan as to how it will in the long term upskill and train people already in the UK to fill vacancies, rather than recruit directly from abroad. If there aren’t enough people available locally then recruiting from abroad is easier to justify to voters (and a key differential is that Labour are calling for more investment into the economy and public services which will need more people to help fill those jobs whereas the Conservatives are always calling for cuts).

Finally, they’re talking about NET migration, so if they can encourage people to stay in the UK rather than leave to work abroad (for example by Investing in NHS and making working conditions better) then NET migration can fall, even if inward migration increases. Although, I expect this last point to be relatively minor compared to the others.

5 Likes