UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

Poundland Trump.

2 Likes

He seems to be getting far too much social media coverage, radio and tv time. Every time I turn on the telly, his twatty face is there.
He is just a poundland Enoch Powell.

Thank God for the Euros 2024.

2 Likes

His party has no seats. He has failed to be elected seven times. And yet he’s everywhere. He only exists due to the rightwing media; without them, he’s just another inconsequential pub bore.

The sad thing is that even the leftwing media give him front page coverage. It’s absolutely disgusting.

5 Likes

And surprisingly clever given the person in question.

What’s clever about having the fortune to be born the son of a stockbroker, using family connections to get on in life, and toadying up to rich people?

I must have missed the “clever” part. :thinking:

5 Likes

Is he still sponsored by one of the Barclays I wonder? During the run up to that referendum he was housed in some stupid expensive flat in a London street that appears on the Monopoly board from memory.

Please don’t tell me you’ve fallen for it. He’s a car salesman that can only sell one make and model of car. There’s a reason why he doesn’t appear with certain journalists. They rip him a new one. Those interviews and shows he does appear on dont challenge him on anything.

2 Likes

It will soon be Game Over , and this is the best they’ve got ?

“The early favourites for leader include former secretaries of state Priti Patel, Suella Braverman, Robert Jenrick, Kemi Badenoch, Penny Mordaunt and Grant Shapps.” :open_mouth:

5 Likes

Current betting odds:

No wonder they’re fucked, if that’s the best they can do. Unless the party changes its rules, Badenoch, Braverman, Patel and Notso are all facing an uphill task; the Tory membership aren’t likely to elect a person of colour.

1 Like

What’s the confusion?

He must have forgotten how Sunak v Truss went.

2 Likes

Maybe they just prefer a complete imbecile over someone that can construct a functional sentence.

6 Likes

There seem to have always be an “alternative” candidate back in the day. It was usually/often in the form of a person dressed in comedy fashion who represented the monster raving loony party. There was always a smirk or a giggle from the audience and news crew when his (because it was almost always a he) party’s name and the number of votes were read out. This was oftentimes seen as a barometer of quite wide issues, from the broad appeal of the parties to thorny local issues.

That was the protest vote. It was made in some what of a, dare I say it, British way - humorous, non-threatening and nuanced. Now we have the likes of reform or defend Britain or some such, who offer a fools paradise and people use it to protest. I say “use” because I don’t for one minute contemplate that people actually believe.

It is sad.

If nothing else we have lost our sense of humour.

2 Likes

Sadly, they do.

1 Like

Rishi Sunak was elected by the Tory membership.

Nope.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I’m not sure I’m hopeful that, that is not the case - otherwise we’re in the land of Ralph Wigghams…

Marina getting in on the Rishi the bullied-little-brown-battler meme:

I didn’t meet Sunak at school but I went to a school like his, in a similar era, and I suddenly realised I’d believe him if he said: “I didn’t go without anything, and I was in the most privileged educational system, but I probably had the least money and the least social cachet within that system…

…gives the impression of having been included late amongst the exclusiveness [he] so admires. There is nothing wrong with gusto, but when easy familiarity is what you are trying to convey, gush is to be avoided.” This is a version of what I see… Far from being convincingly grand, he’s a man not really pulling off the act.

2 Likes

Can’t stand this woman…

Liz Truss charged taxpayers for Amazon Prime subscription

Former PM Liz Truss charged taxpayers for an annual subscription to Amazon Prime for her office, it can be revealed.
The subscription, which costs ÂŁ95, gives the ex-PM free shipping from the retail giant - and access to their huge catalogue of TV shows, movies and books.

The Kindle edition of Ms Truss’ book, Ten Years to Save The West is currently reduced from £20 to £4.29. - :0)

It’s not the first time Ms Truss has put a Prime subscription on expenses - but when this newspaper revealed she’d done so in 2022, her team insisted it had not been intentional. The Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (IPSA), which handles MPs’ expense claims, has previously confirmed Prime subscriptions can be within the rules.

But they said: “The MP will need to justify that the subscription is primarily used for parliamentary purposes at the time they submit the claim”.

Also among the thousands of items available for free one-day delivery is a £3.99 ready-to-wear mask of Ms Truss’ face, and a life-size cardboard cutout of her, on sale for £35.99. :0)

Last week the Lib Dems called for Ms Truss to be stripped of her ÂŁ115,000 allowance. Under their plans, Prime Ministers would need to serve for more than a year to qualify for the annual fund, which all ex-PMs can claim.

4 Likes