UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

The first part of this I don’t have a problem with provided that they instead bring some other demonstrated expertise or at least experienced competence. We don’t necessarily want a parliament full of technocrats. The later part is often due to a failing of this alternative experience, especially if married to a born to rule etonian type attitude. And it’s not just a UK thing (albeit it’s very bad over there). I encounter similar attitudes amongst (some) GPS old boys in Aus. Again it’s usually only those without useful expertise - something about the sweat and difficulty of real excellence seems to (mostly) inoculate the rest.

1 Like

It’s odd that the reporting is focusing on supposed personal animus towards Gray from Case, when I believe it has been reported in a few places how Case has politicised the civil service? If so, isn’t it more obvious that it’s a political action designed to benefit the Conservatives?

3 Likes

U turn if you want to.

1 Like

Disappointing that.

1 Like

For whom? Labour voters? Those who think SK has integrity? Tax payers or gender studies students who will still have to pay for wasting 3 years of their life? Read in media studies, sociology, psychology etc etc etc.

Get a degree for a job that requires one, doctor, teacher etc. But a degree in knitting and goat farming?

Do such degrees exist? They actually sound like they have more practical application than Classics or Art History.

Agree completely.

But:

Ironically I used to build test equipment for number 11.

It’s surprising the amount of knowledge that’s involved in such disciplines, actually, although debatably those two may be more technically oriented. But so are certain sciences really, and we don’t really talk about that either?

What should the differentiation be between a university degree and a different, technical, qualification?

1 Like

It’s usually related to the level of knowledge and expertise required. It’s perfectly possible for someone to have done a PhD in Goat Farming or whatever. At the ordinary degree level you are probably talking about general agricultural science.

It’s a balance of broad knowledge over deep knowledge.

5 Likes

While at Uni I lodged with a mate who was doing a Geography degree. Now you’d think that was a potentially massive field to get into.

Not so much it seems, 2hrs per week lectures. Bizarre set up. Still I guess it opened up many potential fields but you needed to go beyond the basic degree.

But a u turn on free uni places is disappointing. That’s the only reason I was able to go. If I was in education now I’ve no idea what direction to go.

3 Likes

I suspect that was absolutely unintentional and so utterly brilliant.

1 Like

I think its a decision thats been taken only because of the need to prioritise other spending. There is probably something that can still be done to make the current set up more affordable to students.

You don’t think a degree is needed to be a clinical or educational psychologist?

1 Like

Nah, all bollocks. Sort yourself out and work harder, stop blaming everybody else.

And I know Ed Psycs, occupational hazard. Fruit cakes the lot of them.

Subsidise the brilliant ones. We shouldn’t all have to pay towards Brian Thicket getting a Bachelors in Archaeology.

:grin:

Steve Brule Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Hope so. I wouldn’t disagree on some kind of review on degrees and funding but I also think that the more opportunities you can offer school leavers, or anyone for that matter can only be a good thing.

I’d also say that the same also applies to other qualifications. More Sparky’s, plumbers, chippies etc.

2 Likes

Not that easy I’d say. Plenty of opportunity within easy reach of Warrington. Not as much where I am in North Wales, not without some level of education. The “best” options always tend to be linked to colleges.

Not if you’d be better at plastering than geology. Given the employment opportunities for both. Think about this, aside from teaching or being a pro academic, what’s the purpose of a degree in history? Or Geography? English maybe if you want to be an author or in publishing generally.

Maths, Science, Medicine, Education and Law. Almost everything else is pretentious bollocks.