UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

Are you sure? Trump and his MAGA maniacs are still there (if not even stronger) after four years under a Democrat President. Across Europe, the similar fanatics/fascists are only getting stronger. In Netherlands and Italy, they are actually in the government.

1 Like

She also told him he better not go to the Conservatives either. You do not want to mess with Mama.

1 Like

Yeah, but in the UK the Tory’s ARE Trump and his MAGA maniacs. Reform won’t be credible challengers to the government so right-wing voters will only have one realistic choice if they want to oust Labour.

It’s arguably better for Labour if the nutters want to continue cannibalising the Tory vote lol.

3 Likes

I hope you are right.

1 Like

Farage will be pals with all these far-right governments and he will get funding. He is no flash in the pan. He is here to stay and cause as much chaos as possible.

2 Likes

In my view, Tories are the traditional Republicans while Farage is your own little Trump.

That aside, I think Reform/Farage can push the Tories (and even Labor) further to the right. Talking about cannibalism, just see how the likes of RN, Vox, BoI has become the main force from fringe positions.

I’m not saying that worst is about to happen. I’m saying that this not the worst.

Labour incompetence

2 Likes

The Reform vote was inflated yesterday by traditional Conservative voters who could not bring themselves to vote either Lib Dem or, heaven forbid, Labour.

If the Tories had any sense, they would move back towards the centre ground and attract back the “one nation” Conservatives who either stayed at home yesterday or voted for other parties.

Instead, they’ll see the perceived “success” of Reform and lurch even further to the right, alienating swathes of their former supporters and young people everywhere.

They’re fucked.

2 Likes

Huge congratulations to @HackneyAbbott MP, who takes up the mantle as Mother of the House – the longest-standing woman MP.

Diane is a trailblazer, first elected in 1987, and we look forward to working with her in her new position. pic.twitter.com/9IMvgUOO4y

— Fawcett Society (@fawcettsociety) July 5, 2024
7 Likes

FIFY
Going by the tendency in the UK , vast number of voters are more right than center right. Labour will either have to shift to the center or go full on left in order to counteract the Tory’s move to the far right. The latter seems more likely and will only succeed in pushing more centered voters to the right.

The fact that Lib Dems basically exist as vote stealers would screw up Labour’s chances.

Nope. They’ve been brainwashed by the neoliberal agenda over the last 45 years, but that is changing now. People are realising that it’s all a big con.

In the run up to yesterday’s vote, I met people from 18 to 94 who were finally cottoning on to the fact that the Conservatives are only interested in lining their own pockets and those of their billionaire paymasters.

4 Likes

Remove the word cynical from your name. How dare you be positive about this.

2 Likes

His mum was fuming when he said that he was standing to be an MP right in the middle of his A levels. :joy: She said he was mad

He had to pay £500 to Ealing Council to register his name. Guess who to put in money to help, mum as usual, friends etc.

3 Likes

Bank of mum and dad? He’s obviously another privileged middle-class twat.

(Only joking, Maria, in case you think I was being serious)

5 Likes

I don’t think this is correct for two reasons.

first, it is sometimes growing harder to define left and right as people are moving one way on social issues but then moving the other on say welfare/economy.

Secondly, Conservative’s success in winning elections is usually because they have dominated the centre, while having relatively little competition for votes on the right. In contrast other parties are usually centre left/ left leaning and so cut into each other’s potential voting pool.

The emergence of Referendum/UKIP/Reform has changed that landscape and pulled the Conservatives to the right leaving space in the centre for Labour to take advantage of, which it has.

1 Like

It’s refundable if he gets 5%+ of the vote :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Starmer’s six cabinet appointments so farpublished at 15:58

15:58

In the last half an hour, we’ve seen several appointments to Sir Keir Starmer’s new cabinet.

Here’s who have got the top jobs so far:

Angela Rayner - deputy prime minister and secretary of state for levelling up, housing and communities

Rachel Reeves - chancellor

David Lammy - foreign secretary

Yvette Cooper - home secretary

John Healey - defence secretary

Pat McFadden- Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster

2 Likes

What is that?

I’d make him pay that back by doing chores.

3 Likes

Its an old title for the minister who runs the cabinet office.

2 Likes