UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

I need to go back into it but there is a sum in the video straight off the bat by shutting the Rwanda policy down.

I feel thats part of it for sure. Its the most incredible, and clearly deliberate misuse of public money ive heard of so far. It is clearly designed to rob the uk tax payer but to what end?

This goes way deeper imo and its quite disgusting were my mind goes with this.

1 Like

The modern asylum policies mostly date back to the aftermath of the second world war. That reflects partly on the huge numbers of people that were displaced, but also on the millions that died because they were denied asylum when it could have saved them.

In terms of integration, most countries have programmes by which refugees will receive language and social training, and help with adapting skills, finding jobs and aid with accommodation.

For the most part, there is far more economic migration than there are asylum cases. The problem is that when there are refugee crises, they tend to be located all at the same time and in the same place.

For recent examples, Syrian refugees were initially arriving in Turkey, Lebanon and Jordan. Some of these then dispersed further towards Europe and were accumulating in Mediterranean states, e.g Italy.

Most asylum seekers are not initially looking for a permanent home, although this can become the case depending on what the situation is on the home that they have fleed.

2 Likes

Trevor Phillips. He is a presenter for Sky news. Usually well regarded. Has previously represented Labour in the London Assembly. I think.

1 Like

Sweden was for years often highlighted as a role model, but not sure if it still is now right wing parties have more sway.

Until 2010 the UK had a good system in place that was being invested in. That was dismantled by the Conservatives when they came in and not given the proper attention - pretty much like everything else.

1 Like

Iā€™m not so sure that it is a grift by those running hotels.

There might be some hotels who aim for this business, but i think itā€™s more a reaction to there being a local need for it - as the local authorityā€™s available supply of housing dried up.

The grift is more on the political side in misrepresenting the need and costs of refugees to further power the right wing.

I think you underestimate the willingness of that shower to have their fingers in the till.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know the differences in different policies and also the number of refugees accepted but I was in Malaysia a few years ago during the Syrian crisis and I met 2 Syrians who were working in retail just months after arriving in Malaysia as we refugees. And that is fantastic because I could see hope in their eyes as I talked to them about their homeland and their families and that is why a plan for them and executed is so important.

1 Like

Hopefully Labour reverses that and have an executable plan or else it will just divert resources for citizens without solving the refugee long term sustainability.

Fixed

1 Like

They do similar things in Germany. They accepted around a million Syrian refugees around 2016-17 and had schemes to help with language and training (many were skilled but needed training in local practice). There were a couple of refugees on the German as a foreign language course that I was on. I did get the feeling that they were positive about their future although the hostels that they were living in were far from ideal.

Iā€™m not sure the UK is quite as organised but we did have placement schemes in Scotland when I was working in government there. I remember that we had an Iranian plumber at our house who was on a scheme like that.

4 Likes

There is that but my skeptical side thinks theres more to this. Why have a Rwanda scheme? why knowingly allow criminal elements into the uk? Why deliberately exploit people without any care or concern?

My mind drifts to sone pretty sinister places with this.

2 Likes

Performative cruelty? Rwanda is forever associated with a genocide, so it sounds like a horrible place to send someone.

3 Likes

Exactly but they could have easily just sat on stopping the asylum applications but instead decided to create this whole money pit scheme.

As i said, my head really goes to some dark places with this.

2 Likes

Dark places indeed.

I think itā€™s pretty obvious that the Tories strategy was to allow the asylum/migration system to fail while ramping up anti immigrant rhetoric - thus creating both the target for public scapegoating and the problem they could claim to be the only ones willing to take performatively cruel measures to address.

3 Likes

I think that they were primarily on the fiddle.

2 Likes

Welcome? Depends on your point of view. If you believe that other people are responsible for your actions then yes. If you believe that you should pay for the lifestyle you choose then not so much.

1 Like

White elephant. Build the full thing.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve always needed to get to London 15 minutes quicker than I currently can from the NW. Well worth Ā£150Bn which it wuld probably cost if finished in full.

1 Like

They should bin HS2 and invest it all on infrastructure in the north. Not only is it much needed, but it would have the added bonus of keeping all these wretched northerners away from London.

4 Likes

Another madcap Tory project getting binned:

2 Likes