UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

Mumsnet?

All jokes aside, this is why confirmation bias is such a dangerous drug, and it’s a good reminder to all of us that we should always be careful about what we believe.

2 Likes

Ms Spofforth has since said she is shocked that she is being accused of spreading false information, alleging that she was given the details from a person in Southport.

Do you notice how she uses the weasel words, “if this is true”.

She’s made it up, presumably for nefarious purposes. I’d suggest that she either divulges her sources or is charged.

8 Likes

Agreed

3 Likes

1 Like

This guy was getting sentenced today to 20months for the damage he caused to the Library during the looting/riots. I have included some of the defence that was put forward by his council - not sure if they were taking the proverbial, or his barrister was as dumb as this lad - read for yourself below :0)

Mum shouts ‘love ya’ as sons jailed for looting Spellow Library

Adam and Ellis Wharton have become the sixth and seven men to be locked up over violent scenes across Merseyside

Quote: Liverpool Echo 08/08/2024
His counsel John Rowan said: "Adam Wharton wants it known that he is deeply ashamed and disgusted with himself for his role in the serious incident that took place. There can be no excuse or justification for his decision to take the opportunity to enter the streets of North Liverpool and become involved in the burglary of a library - more important than a library, a community hub that was disgracefully damaged by fire that night.

"There is no evidence he was involved in any of the violence that took place. The only violence involving Mr Wharton came when he appeared before the lower courts and was assaulted himself by another prisoner. He holds no far-right views and was not involved to advance a political or racial motive. He became involved to steal.

“He told me he wishes he had just stayed at home and regrets bitterly his decision to become involved in the chaos that evening. The defendant himself actually lives off County Road, as does his brother. In the cold light of day, he regrets his role in the mindless behaviour that has caused damage to his own community. He lives but a stone’s throw away.

:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

He wanted to steal books? I’d love to know which ones. Did he head to the biography section first? Or was he more interested in teen fiction? Maybe he wanted to get some new recipes from the cookery books, or some knitting patterns from arts & crafts.

6 Likes

We remember this guy, yes… Got his arse bitten -
Got 26months today by the judge to go with it :0)

7 Likes

I say charge her either way.

She knew exactly what she was doing. Time for people to learn, words (even if posted online) can have consequences

8 Likes

Hopefully the RSPA get in on the act and charge him with cruelty towards animals for making that poor dog bite his fat arse

2 Likes

" A bloke who bit off more than he could chew when he confronted police during riots and was duly dealt with by a K9 officer has been thrown in jail".

"Sheers, a former McDonald’s worker, could be heard yelling at cops “I pay your wages”, and seen waving his bottom at police in a motion one could only describe as sloppy twerking".

“As the yob who led a smattering of others facing off with police, refused to be pulled back by a beanie hat-clad pal, a police dog seized the opportunity to teach him a lesson”.

“Comic viewing ensued as the canine’s handler approached Sheers. The dog leapt up and bit hold of his elasticated waistband, delivering a harmless but entertaining takedown of the protester”.

“And now, to add insult to injury, Sheers has been jailed for two years…and a bit, after a trial at Teesside Crown Court”.

“X users, of course, had plenty to say. “There’s a dog with a bite worse than its bark!” one man joked”.

“A second person added: "Certainly not paying your wages anymore!

A third said: “Hope the dog’s ok.”

:joy: :joy: :joy:

6 Likes
1 Like

Oh dear. That is something that will take a lot of mental bleaching to get out of my mind

3 Likes

And if he has said that, then he rightly deserves to be arrested.

Had a Tory mp said something similar about immigrants people would be up in arms, so what’s good for the goose is good for the gander

3 Likes

Had it been a Tory he would have apologised if you were offended, declared the matter closed, and suggested we all crack on.

Labour officials fuck up all the time, but they tend to not get away with it.

3 Likes

Update:

Woman arrested over false social media posts about Southport suspect

Police said violence across the county had been “fuelled by malicious and inaccurate communications online”

A woman has been arrested on suspicion of stirring up racial hatred in relation to a social media post containing false information about the identity of the Southport suspect. The 55-year-old woman, who lives near Chester, was arrested by Cheshire Police earlier today, August 8.

She remains in police custody on suspicion of publishing written material to stir up racial hatred (S19 of the Public Order Act 1986) and false communications (S179 Online Safety Act 2023), and is assisting officers with their enquiries.

2 Likes

It hasn’t been pleasant reading the news from afar, with all the protests and riots catching on around the country.

But then a couple of things in this make me proud to be British.

Seeing thousands of people coming out in counter protests, to say no to racism, fascism, and the extreme right wing agenda, gave me hope. They protected mosques and put themselves between scumbags who should know better, and their victims. Well played.

The second thing that makes me proud is to see how quickly justice is being enacted.

There are lots of reasons for what has happened. It will fill many postgraduate theses in years to come. But I am glad for the reminder that most people are decent, and they want no part of the nasty business we’ve seen. Well played.

4 Likes

https://images.app.goo.gl/E1zH7Ya22r1ZdJQ37

“It hasn’t been pleasant reading the news from afar,”

People are same every where.

1 Like