UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

Hand-to-hand combat only, fight to the death.

They’re. Not. All. The. Same.

I love the convergence of sleaze in this story. It’s a simple, perfect illustration of why all Tories are cunts.

4 Likes

Not saying that, but face to face there are a range of cues that often dont translate remotely (gestures, body language, eye contact etc).

From a handshake, to the shoes someone wears can make an impression.

Often you will know when someone is lying or you dont trust them, because your gut tells you. If you were to try pinpoint why you know, its very difficult to explain. Same with sensing danger. Sometimes you know before the danger is evident.

Approx 55% of our communication is nonverbal, and a lot of that is missed on a zoom call.

2 Likes

Travel broadens the mind.

I have travelled extensively and am very grateful for the experience. It has been eye opening and enriching.
I certainly wouldn’t want to condemn others to a life spent within one suburb. Of course, we need to find cleaner, less destructive forms of transport, but we shouldn’t give up on it.

2 Likes

I think people have been assuming that Boris Johnson’s appointments to the Lords have merely been nepotism or the like. It looks like they are actually stooges.

The Uranium thing is interesting. I saw am article ages ago saying that new nuclear plants make no economic, security or environmental sense. It’s interesting if they are being pushed by foul means rather than fair.

1 Like

FIFY.

Interesting. Do you have a link?

I saw sonething the other week where using spent fuel as an energy source had massive potential. It almost felt like one of those possible technological leaps that was ignored because the market said so.

2 Likes

I think it was in an Economist article. I’ll see if I can find it unpaywalled.

It’s curious what has happened in Germany since they decommissioned the last of their nuclear plants. I thought it was a stupid idea, but it appears to be increasing the move away from coal.

1 Like

Only if you use a polluting form of transport.
Walking, cycling, sailing etc don’t damage the planet any more than any other human activity.

Cycling produces particles from tyres. And building bikes and boats uses up resources.

And, by simply going to other places, people have a negative effect on the environment. Erosion, rubbish, human waste, etc.

Just delete all humans, really.

Correct.

Ok, stay at home and kill yourself then :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I couldn’t find the original article, but this appears to be the same research.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2542435123002817

Oh come on. It’s a question of magnitudes of damage. Nothing is without impact, but the world isn’t going to end because of people riding bikes.

It’s like the handwringing that happens whenever there is a death or injury because of reckless cycling. We’re totally mute about the thousands of people killed every year as a result of driving.

1 Like

Natural global forest decay accounts for 10.9 Gigatonnes of carbon emissions per year (vs just over 8 Gigatonnes from burning fossil fuels).

We really should just cut down all the world’s forests and sequester the carbon in housing timber, and greatly reduce the world’s emissions in the process. :woman_shrugging:

It might if footage of @cynicaloldgit on a bike ever made it out into the public domain.

1 Like

That’s not going to happen. I never learnt to ride one.

1 Like

Believing we have a responsibility to eliminate 100% of our carbon emissions today:

3 Likes

Who said that?

All I’m saying is that people should be aware of the effects of travel, much of which is unnecessary.