UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

Yep, agreed.

Maybe she’ll run for leadership when the jellyfish gets booted/resigns

2 Likes

There was a drama a few years ago that charted the career of New Labour politicians starting with them being young idealists in the early 90s, to the Iraq War. The gist was that to get anywhere in politics you have to compromise, maybe a little bit at a time, to get the nomination, then win the election, then get the junior minister gig, then get a ministerial position, then one of the big jobs. Every time the compromise just chips away at you, and every time you tell yourself ‘it’s OK - this is just to get to the next rung on the ladder’. By the time you’re holding on the real power, the compromises are so ingrained and you’re such a shell of the person who started the journey, you’re little different to the bastard you were trying to oust in the first place.

6 Likes

Quite possibly. It’s also likely she would lose an election by 100 seats.

1 Like

Surveys repeatedly show that the public is further to the “left”, on matters such as taxation, investment and the environment, than the media and pollsters would have you believe.

1 Like

Well, people are fuckwits :slight_smile:

1 Like

Baroness Warsi has quit the Conservative Party:

It’s a pity, as she was one of the few traditional conservative voices left.

3 Likes

Yet 320 of the 350 licences to sell arms to Israel are still active.
You’ve cancelled 30 of them.

The clock is ticking on this fraud.

2 Likes

Can I just point out that the cancellations only took place because of a legal review, and has nothing to do with a political standpoint?

That is, it’s even worse than it looks.

2 Likes

And they repeatedly vote against this instinct.

1 Like

Yeah right…

On another note, they have been banging on about this for years. Did they not do their homework?

Treasury officials acknowledge that scrapping two concessions made by the previous government might not raise the £1bn they thought it would, or indeed any money at all.

The £1bn is earmarked in the Labour manifesto for extra hospital and dental appointments and school breakfast clubs.

You obviously have internet access. Go look it up.

1 Like

An opposition party does not have the resources or access to data that the government does. It wouldn’t be a surprise if Treasury modelling therefore shows something different to what earlier analysts put together for labour ahead of the elections.
The key question is though how solid are the assumptions that get built into such models?

1 Like

If it is on the internet it must be true then. Sorry I doubted it.

If I remember well, the thread poll on TIA was quite accurate when compared to how the actual voting results panned out.

By the way, you can air your views and ideas as much as you want, no-one will ‘cancel’ you, whatever that means. But on a discussion forum, they will be challenged, and that’s how it should be.

2 Likes

Oh all their pledges are fully priced. Absolutely will work once they get in. They just need to noose that illusive gold shitting unicorn.

8 years.

You fuckers can be boiled in oil too.

Absolute fucking idiots.

I strongly agree with their cause; equally, I vehemently disagree with their modus operandi.

4 Likes