US Teams, MLS, and CONCACAF

US thrash Mexico last night in their first game without Berhalter to qualify for their National League final.

This morning the US announce they will be hiring Berhalter back on a 3 year contract :see_no_evil:

“Berhalter, 49, has the highest winning percentage of any person to lead the men’s national team with 37 victories, 12 draws, and 11 defeats during his first stint in charge. His American side also won the Concacaf Nations League in 2020 and the Gold Cup in 2021.”

Not to mention getting through to the round of 16 in the recent WC. This after we failed to even qualify for 2018.

The Florida grocery store market is dominated by a local company called Publix. It’s ok as far as supermarkets go, but Floridians have a really unhealthy obsession with it.

Last night Messi was spotted doing his shopping there and this will have done more to endear him to Miami fans than any goals he could score

2 Likes

The photographer taking the possibly staged photograph (second one) probably did

1 Like

No there’s a few clips on Twitter of Messi taking the car keys from his wife and leaving the store after being recognized and standing for a couple selfies.

I think it’s very much the case he’s trying out a more normal existence in US trying to be a bit more anonymous but people still know who he is.

I am sure it is just coincidence, but Canada has been crap since then.

Miami is dead last in the league. Will be interesting to see how far Messi and Busquets can drag them up the table.

Most wont remember him, but at the end of the Fergie era they had a kid on their books called Nick Powell who was identified as their next great player. According to Fergie it was going to him and Jones leading Utd into the next generation. His career ended up not really going anywhere and there was a good piece in the Athletic last week with him detailing his perspective of where it went wrong.

The absolute best bit was him recounting how he was struggling trying to recover from back surgery going into Moyes’ first season and after making a shit pass in training was pulled aside by Neville and torn into being told “you have to better than that to be a Utd player.” The derision with which Powell recounted the story, as if Neville thought he was identifying some hard earned key knowledge of the game…“dont kick the ball into touch when trying to pass a team mate. Got it. Really glad you informed me of that” had me laughing out loud, but mainly because I could picture the exchange really clearly in my head and imagine Neville thinking he’d done something really important.

1 Like

It’s the MLS…they’ll be sitting clear at the top by the end of the month.

Will they even bother to play?

1 Like

Right on. No matches until August 19? I have no idea why.

Sort of an All-Star break, that all star game must be this weekend?

It is, but hell. I don’t remember MLS taking a month off. Might it be because of the Women’s World Cup? That still would make little sense as those matches are on so early in the a.m…and no male MLS players are involved to my knowledge…though I am a bit stodgy and behind the times.

League Cup, where MLS teams play Liga MX sides

1 Like

Yeah its because of this - 2023 Leagues Cup - Wikipedia

1 Like

Yeah was a good tournament last year

1 Like

1 Like

MLS all star game just started lovely goal by Jesus.