US Teams, MLS, and CONCACAF

He really soccered that into the onion bag…upper 90.

Does Trump watch football? He must get a boner every time the US gets a free kick and the Mexicans have to build a wall.

1 Like

Too busy with his golf achievements last night.

1 Like

Second leg tonight was 1-1 first leg.

Someone’s going lose it tonight.

If it goes to penalty shoot outs, is that the equivalent of “soaking”?

How can no one have asked what the weather conditions are like, is it dry, damp, moist, wet?

1 Like

Prime MLS action

2 Likes

I saw the news last night that Kei Kamara became MLS’ all time top scorer. My first reaction was “who?”

2 Likes

The reaction to the loss last night is predictably pathetic.

Lots of prefacing of saying “Im not blaming the ref” while then going on to blame the ref. Lots of support from the players for Berhalter, something that was allegedly key in the USSF going back to rehire him after Reynagate. But why do such underperforming players get a say in this? Oh you’re “comfortable” with Greg? Yeah, no shit. Maybe that’s why you threw away a result against Panama after having done the hard work to nudge yourself in front while down to 10. You should not be comfortable. And you especially shouldn’t think that is a positive after just being embarrassed in your warm up to a generation defining world cup opportunity 2 years from now.

2 Likes

A stunning piece on the awfulness of Fox’s coverage.

Them winning the PL rights in the early 00s (?) and putting a focus on it was integral to the growth of the game here and the quality and breadth of coverage we now have. That allowed us to overlook how terrible it was, because terrible was better than no coverage. But today, when contrasted with genuinely good coverage other networks now have, their calamity coverage of the WCs and Euros is really brought back into its proper focus. I cannot wait until the WC and Euro rights come up again and someone else gets it (ESPN?).

2 Likes

The MLS all star game skills challenge is an embarrassment. It’s not basketball. Stop trying to shoe horn the game into an NBA style event.

1 Like

They’ve all got one I guess it comes from the home run aspect of things.

One for the Tik Tok lot

I think they’re all looking increasingly dated. NFL at least is just a bit of light-hearted games before the Super Bowl but MLB and NBA don;t capture the public imagination anymore. Home Run Derby is the ‘best’ of the events now and that’s pretty tedious. Even my baseball obsessed son was watching it for the first time this year and turned to me and said “Daddy this is boring they’re just hitting it”.

1 Like

Pellegrino Matarazzo set to become national coach.

1 Like

That seems like an odd choice. On the one hand you can understand it as with Marsh ruling himself out I dont think there are any other Americans currently managing at the level he is. But on every level it seems an odd choice.

As credibly as he did last year his record is paper thin. Even assuming that what he did last year at Hoffenheim is repeatable there there is little about his career that makes you confident he could replicate it in a different environment. And certainly not the completely different one of international football. And especially not when considering he has no working knowledge of the MLS.

How is he viewed in Germany?

Not an elite coach but well respected enough to return to the Bundesliga in the future.

Pochettino agrees to become new USMNT manager. Think this is a great hire for US Soccer, and a good gig for Poch. If he does ANYTHING with these guys, could resurrect his career.

1 Like