What is the best managerial reign we've had?

Just revisiting this thread and it’s surprising, to me at least, that Jürgen is ahead of Shanks.

I would think that most posters on this forum are aware of the club’s history and there aren’t that many young posters here for recency bias to be a factor.

:man_shrugging:

3 Likes

It’s pretty impossible to compare the two eras.

That said, Klopp has done an almost perfect job here. If he wasn’t competing at such a disadvantage he’d leave here with a trophy haul similar to Paisley.

I didn’t vote for Klopp but have no issue with anybody who did. Perfectly valid choice IMO.

7 Likes

Between Shanks and Bob I think we could separate it in two ways.

Shanks’ reign was most important, but Bob’s was best so far.

If that’s fair enough.

I don’t think that it’s surprising. After all, we’re living in Klopp’s era and not many people on these boards were around when Shankly was turning us into a proper club.

There are strong parallels between the two, in my opinion, with two notable differences being that Klopp won one trophy that Shankly couldn’t and that there’s no way that Klopp’s successor will better him in terms of trophies won like Paisley did compared to Shankly.

We’re spoilt to have (had) all of them at our club, though. One of Shankly, Paisley, Kenny, Gerard, Rafa or Klopp would have been a reward, having all of them is a blessing from Heaven, I can’t describe it any other way.

1 Like

We bemoan Bob for what he did but then laugh at Man Utd for allowing interference from Busby and Ferguson.

Both deserve respect for what they did, I won’t be knocking points off for what Bob “allegedly” did, we only have Bill’s words for it and we know he was being treated by some as the manager still when he popped down.

Bob said very little so we don’t really know what happened bar a rather angry autobiography and some players who happen to have already casted doubt on Shanks story of going down there.

Has to be Rafa for me. I know it’s not logical and not historical but he and the CL Final team of 2005 gave me one of the best nights of my life…and the only night I ever missed some hours…I just couldnt remember anything after a certain point and didn’t know how I made it home. Never found out.

5 Likes

I can see that point to be fair, it was the best night of my Liverpool supporting life.

Rafas reign is tainted by factors outside of his control but it’s forgotten just how important he was.

We have seen many clubs fade into obscurity and that was our path. Our squad was bang average, we had a relatively small budget and we had seen several clubs overtake us in multiple metrics.

That journey competing and beating clubs we had no right to was amazing. He solidified the romance associated with our club. We do special things and have special nights.

Reason Klopp is here today, or FSG taking us over is Rafa impact had. He brought back the magic.

As someone born early 80s Klopp is the best manager in my lifetime by a mile. But Rafa has my heart.

7 Likes

I loved him for trying to man up against that mancunian manager

Careful.
Not sure that’s permitted these days

1 Like

Do I have your permission to print this and make it into a wallpaper? For my house, that is.

Only if you include my avatar :joy:

Changing the question to the best managerial reign I’ve seen. For me it’s Klopp. Even though I’m a grown up, and remember the eighties.

Klopp turned this team into genuinely the best team in the world, from a position where quite a lot of people thought we were finished as a force. And I don’t think he is done yet.

To beat Klopp, you’d have to go back further to managers that I don’t remember. Paisley won an awful lot of trophies and for that he will be many people’s nod, but it shouldn’t be forgotten that Shankly laid the foundations.

I loved Houllier, and really thought he would win us a title. But Christ, the football was turgid at times. I don’t think time has been kind to Rafa. I loved him at the time, but a lot of his methods, his approach to players and his attitude now seems very dated.

1 Like

A conversation I was in a little while back that I immediately rejected but think on reflection is valid - Klopp’s tenure is actually adding gloss to Shankly’s. Over time those of us who weren’t there to experience it…to understand what he inherited and what he turned it into…to understand what the club was by the time he left…to understand the vibe he created around the club…we can look at the honours list and be surprised at how little there is, comparatively speaking.

Klopp is reminding those of us who aren’t of a certain age that while we exist to win trophies, that sometimes does not tell the whole story. If Pep were to follow Klopp I don’t think there are any number of trophies he could lead us to that would make me rate his tenure higher than I do Klopp’s

1 Like

Pep wouldn’t win those trophies, he needs a setup where he has overwhelming financial superiority, willingness to dope and corrupt off field and then owners who allow him to waste this advantage with over thought tactics in the few competitive games his team plays. None of this would fly at Liverpool and he would be sacked after a couple of very long seasons of sarcastic whinging and uncharismatic sourpussery.

Which Pep?

I presume LS meant Ljinders

I believe Limie was talking about Lijnders.

2 Likes

Obviously meant the bald cunt but not a fan of ‘our’ current pep either. Far too keen to run his mouth, IMO.

Hold on, Uncle Woy wasn’t included in that list?!?!? :flushed: :dizzy_face: :frowning: :thinking:

Seriously, for me it’s Kloppo all the way in the time of my following. The Shanks and Sir Bob era must have been extremely special though, and I’d probably elect Shanks as the best one, simply because it gave birth to a long period of success under different managers who succeeded him, but maintained the same spirit. He not only brought success to the club, but gave it a strong new identity which has perdured until today.

But in my opinion, Klopp comes very, very near to what Shanks managed to do. Just like Rafa, whom I still love, he has to fight in a biased environment. During Rafa’s time, Ferguson’s mancs were imposing their dominance, unfortunately not only on a sporting level. Nowadays, the petrostate-clubs are on their best way to destroy the sport as a whole, but Klopp, along his undoubted tactical genius, has managed so far to maintain the same spirit of joy and pleasure to give your best within his squad, and it has put us in a really good state despite all kinds of handicaps. Long may it continue, and serve as a legacy for his successors, just like what happened after Shanks’ era.

Edit: All that being said, the best moment in my lifetime as a Liverpool supporter : Istanbul 2005. Thanks for that, Rafa!

4 Likes

Taking nothing away from Shanks or Bob, Klopp tops the list for me.
But for the blatant cheating from City, he’d have 3 or 4 league titles.
He’s taken us to 4 European finals, and has basically won everything available bar the Uefa Cup.
Obviously that will be rectified in May.

He’s done all that without spending anywhere near the ludicrous amounts of definitely City, Utd & Chelsea and probably Arsenal and Spurs.

4 Likes