What would you do to reform European football?

Make the goals bigger

4 Likes

Some good suggestions Kopstar - I especially like number 5. Really if football needs Moar Cash then that (followed by wages) is where it should be focused - agent fees are a cancer on the game and we that money going to grassroots instead would make a big difference.

1 Like

Payments by clubs to agents should be illegal. The financial arrangement with an agent should be between a player and the agent and nobody else.

3 Likes

Of course, in this hypothetical situation JP Morgan would want that money back eventually and a lot fucking more besides.

4 Likes

They already are supposed to be prohibited but for tax reasons clubs often agree to handle the % payable to the agent. Shouldn’t really happen (an in-house lawyer at a premier league club was surprised when I pointed this out).

3 Likes

Of course, they’re in it for profit, as anyone would be. The idea that there are benevolent billionaire investors out there who just want to prop the game up “for the love of the game” is extremely naive and idealistic.

2 Likes

Yep, so who is ultimately going to be be paying back JP Morgan?

2 Likes

I think a big part of what I want to see for all European clubs is the 50+1 model that is in place in Germany… I think that is the starter for 10 for everything.

2 Likes

I would 100% support this system. We have too many greedy tossers in the EPL who do not care for the fans.

2 Likes

I would love it.

But unless it’s enforced across at least the major European Leagues, the enforcing club/league will be at a disadvantage.

How would you set the price of the shares? Unless it’s affordable for a large swath of fans, it will end up in the hands of businessmen. Offering shares to season-ticket holders could be an option.

How would you stop a club from doing the Bayern? It’s utterly important. All 18/20 clubs don’t have to be equally competitive, but unless there’s enough semblance of competitiveness, it will hinder growth.

1 Like

The punters, naturally. And the world will continue to turn as it always has, and always will.

1 Like

It would be wonderful, but let’s face it: it won’t happen. One, because the English fans themselves don’t seem too interested into it (which is a bit of a head-scratcher for me, but whatever…). Two, because it would have to be regulated by the state. But can you see an English government putting up such a law? Of course not, and even less so as long as the Conservatives are in power. They’ll do whatever they can to protect the billionaire club owners.

Unless there is a radical swing of political opinions in the country, it won’t happen. Even Germany, who have that system in place, are struggling to keep it dafe against diverse powerful attempts to undermine it.

It’s not really about billionaire owners, it’s about any owners of property. There is a long history in this country of the state being extremely wary about interfering in private property rights - for very good reason.

What they could do, however, is introduce other measures which would go towards transparency, requiring owners to take greater responsibility for their local communities, legislate for club boards to have fan representatives etc.

I don’t see any UK government actually directing owners to give up control of their property (leaving aside other practical issues as to how that would even be paid for).

You know, not every (good) thing has to start from the top.

Take Newcastle for example. Their supporters are pretty pissed about the way the club is run and it’s a very big fan-base. Off-course their owner may or may not concede but have the supporters considered (seriously enough) to buy into the club’s hierarchy/management.

Or some even smaller clubs?

On the contrary, a lot of the clubs are now owned by foreigners.

Yeah that’s what I meant first and foremost. Although we know that billionaires are protected by their respective states in many different ways.

1 Like

OK I don’t know about the laws in UK but do you have any laws that permit the government to takeover a sick or a key company? Can’t the government nationalize a sick club and then sell it to the supporters?

I haven’t read this thread yet, but it’s been reported here in Oz that we will likely qualify for the 21/22 CL given the reforms this week due to our UEFA coefficient.

If this is the case, it would seem to provide greater certainty of qualification sought by the club, if not the increased riches/glamour ties.

https://sport.optus.com.au/articles/os24191/champions-league-changes-super-league-reaction-anlysis?fbclid=IwAR0nFMoLf24Emb3xguJQrrbnNwJ1mkrI0cg5xvnIn9Icjq3wBSJHZFnWq-I

Those changes only take effect from the 24/25 season.

1 Like

Ah right thanks.

Fuck off the idea that CL losers drop to EL. The thought of Utd winning it only reinforces my view.

1 Like