What's happening?

that seems more appropriate.

we’ve been hard into building mode at our rec properly. was going swimmingly until about 50% of Canada’s wireless went offline early this morning. ATM’s and Interac payment systems have gone down, and half my fleet is without comms. Been a fuck of a day. Thankfully I picked up a 1.75L of bourbon last time I went down as I feel I’ll need it after today.

What a fucking year.

Friday night is the time to celebrate all the wonders of the world. For example Four Tet at Glasto -

Just been to my dad’s 50th. My nan was there, she has dementia and I haven’t her seen in a long time. She was outside for the first time in years.

She didn’t recognise me. She shook my hand and said “nice to meet you”. She then turned to her sister and said “he’s a nice looking fella”.

I’ll take that as a win. She’s gone from being house/hospital bound for the previous 4 years to jiving late into the night tonight. She won’t remember it tomorrow but at least she had another night where she had fun.

12 Likes

Huge congratulations to you all!! Great news!

My first is an Aussie born in the UK. My second is a Brit born in the UK. Between the first being born and getting his birth certificate, he was effectively stateless. Kinda weird to think about.

1 Like

Talking about stateless and also brexit, we were driving back at the end of last year and we were stopped at British border control.

To set the scene:

1. I am a UK citizen of Indian extraction
  2. Wife is German and had settled status in the UK
  3. The kids were born in the UK but have German passports

What followed:

1. The lady took our passports and said, “I’m taking your passports, what do you say”. I felt like saying, “well, you have the guns”, but I kept quiet.
  2. She went on to say, “your children don’t have settled status”. I said, “But they were born in the UK and I’m a British citizen”.
  3. Her reply, “Just because a donkey is born in a stable does not make it a horse”. I was flabagasted!
  4. We were told to go to a building to the side until they went though further checks…
  5. An hour later, another lady came back and said, you have to get settled status for your children before the next time you travel, “then you can play happy German family if you like”…

Mental note:

• Leave the UK as soon as possible
3 Likes

reminds me of a henning wehn story.

2 Likes

I loved that. Was it the Czech Republic (maybe Czechoslovakia at the time?) he entered without a passport?

1 Like

yeah! he wasn’t sure upon whether it had changed its name by then or not.

I also like the story of him ending up in morocco and being searched for by interpol :joy:

Him and mortimer bring me endless joy.

2 Likes

Claudia Winkleman is an absolute bandit on WILTY. I’d definitely like to see an episode with her, Bob Mortimer, Greg Davies, and Miles Jupp.

1 Like

Yeah the UKBA staff are unnecessarily rude and mean-spirited. But I guess that’s what it takes to do some of the shit they get up to on a regular basis.

1 Like

Impacted my home internet connection for 28+ hours. I had to use my cell phone service as a hotspot, and ran the very limited data plan for emergency connections to the office. What a farce. I’m glad that we decided to split the landline and cell phone service away from the internet and TV provider (I logged 5 service calls with them within the past 30 days. Garbage!).

What’s a landline? Is it where you mark the boundary against which you store your horse and buggy? :rofl:

1 Like

I just realised that I am a terrible person for derailing threads, probably the worst on here, or is there anyone more guilty of this misdemeanor?

1 Like

Everyone does that.

1 Like

That’s very reassuring Ifti. Have you ever considered becoming a therapist?

2 Likes

I went to Oxford Street today for therapy. I was that close to taking a diversion to Westminister.
I think I want to be a part time anti-government protester. My friend said, we should be more like the French :grimacing: :nerd_face: :see_no_evil:

1 Like

There’s a lot to unpack in that post tbh

20 minutes ago, I heard two really loud bangs, like an big explosion or car collision or something near my house on the road.
I looked outside my window and I couldn’t see a far enough. I have called Emergency number and I was in the queue for 7-8 minutes, that has never happened before. I asked the Police and Amnbulance to check further down my road.

I would go outside and check, but I am in me slippers and PJs and its eerily dark.

Edit:
I just seen 2 ambulances go by and a police car drive past my house.

I hope whoever is out there is alright.

3 Likes

Hope you are others in your neighbourhood are OK.

2 Likes

My god, what is wrong with some people? Give them an ounce of power and lose all humanity. There must be a mandate for border control to hire dickheads.

1 Like