Who would you buy?

Yes I know which is why I said offer Mbappe more not PSG…Can Madrid really afford those wages?

Yes. they can. They were going to spend that money last year but PSG refused to budge.

They have a number of their highest earners out of contract this summer and they just signed a couple of deals recently that gave them a significant cash injection over the next 5 years, but I can’t remember who with. La Liga signed a new tv deal in December that is 40% more than the last one. A big chunk of that is probably Madrid bound.

Edit: remembered where I saw it - @Zoran 's post in the La Liga thread. It was only one deal but for a longer time frame

Precisely, even if we could, we should not.

Or maybe give Mo Salah a little bit of respect and pay him what he wants?
More fucking nonsense about selling our best player and buying something shiny instead.

3 Likes

Pretty sure even if we put a better financial package (which is hard to imagine), he chooses Real over us.

1 Like

Mbappe is also right footed and plays on the left and we’ve just bought a lad who does exactly that.

Most of my adult life we’ve been vulnerable to having our best players picked off. Owen, Torres, Sterling, Suarez all players that we lost when we didn’t want to. Now we’ve got the best player in the world and people would happily sell him off. It’s madness.

8 Likes

I’m not the owners sadly, it’s been dwelling too long now it’s becoming evident it won’t happen and I’d hate to see him leave on a free.

We’re going to have to replace him 1 way or the other, who better than 1 of the best players in the world? If Madrid decide to go after Haaland instead we should be all over it.

I dont see why people worry about this, particularly if the player is happy to run down the contract. If he goes on a free we still would have had a couple more seasons with him and he gets a pay day to compensate him for not getting a payrise he was happy with.

Because if we sell him this summer we’ll get 100+million and be able to buy a 5-8 year younger replacement and still have plenty left over.
I don’t want that scenario. The best thing would be a new contract.

3 Likes

From who?

The only two clubs who could afford that that we’d entertain dealing with are Real Madrid and PSG. If Mbappe leaves then PSG could look to make a big splash but Real probably feel like they’ve got their Galactico for this summer. If he stays at PSG then maybe Madrid feel the need to do something big but that could easily be Haaland instead.

I’m not so sure the market that would warrant us selling him is actually there right now and if it is, it’s probably limited to one club depending on what happens with Mbappe.

Then there’s the question (I’ve forgotten what this was now)

1 Like

Tell Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

For Mo, the only moves that seem remotely realistic on an actual transfer are to PSG to replace Mbappe, or Barca because they missed out on Haaland, feel insecure about Real signing Mbappe, and find a new illegal way to scrounge up the money to make it work.

3 Likes

Im not as knowledgeable as a lot of you, in terms of knowing players in foreign leagues apart from the obvious. If I look at our team/squad and go by the back up options, we are covered at GK, LB, CB and in the attacking 3 areas - although I would happily have an Mbappe/Haaland.
RB - I like Neco Williams and believe he will develop into a quality player. But, his sale value is to good, and so I see Bradley being TAA’s understudy. However, is he good enough at the moment. I guess we will utilise Gomez in this area and priorities the CM area.
So from players I have watched it would be one or both from Bellingham and Bissouma. I think Bissouma would be a Fabinho back up/Wijnaldum replacement and believe he can be used further forward if needed.
Bellingham is a very talented player and appears to have the game knowledge to play various roles, he would in my opinion be used in a Henderson/Milner type role.
So as the CM role is the obvious next area of upgrade, I would go;

Bellingham
Bissouma
Mcginn - just think he is a Klopp player.
Kessie - I believe he is out of contract, so would be good value. Also, he has a great skillset that Klopp and his team would maximise.

I understand that there are players like Gravenberch, Camavinga who would also be good additions.

I would also like Lamptey from Brighton but I think he has earned the right to be a starter and he wont get that with us.

1 Like

Our squad is somewhat bloated at the moment. Adrian, Milner, and Origi are almost certain to leave at the end of the season. Neco and Nat are likely to be sold.

Aside from Fabinho we will have six (Henderson, Keita, Thiago, Ox, Curtis, and Elliott) players for two midfield spots. Further upfront we will have six (Salah, Mane, Firmino, Jota, Diaz, and Takumi) players for three spots. We need to trim the squad to make space for new arrival.

Forget it, his agant is Raiola.

1 Like

Klopp announced that the club are in discussions with Milner over a new deal…so he may not be leaving. No details on what sort of deal though.

I actually think we need more numbers in midfield, not less. I’m expecting us to move for a young midfielder and have Henderson phase himself into backing up Fabinho in the 6.

4 Likes

Same but only because Ox and Keita aren’t what they are supposed to be.

I’m not sure I like Henderson being the six back up. Think he should be fading into a squad option as a defensive option for the RCM but all opinions I guess.

I’d like to replace Keita with a player comfortable on the ball enough to play the LCM as a defensive option but solid enough defensively so that he can play the 6 and us not miss Fabinho so much. Morton around as emergency cover and Thiago as main LCM starter with Jones as the more offensive back up choice and I’d consider the 6/DM and 8/LCM covered.

On RCM we’d then have Elliott (for me phasing into the starting role) and Henderson as the more defensive option and Ox (who can also cover further forward) as the more offensive option.

With Ox having his contract coming to an end I wouldn’t be against him moving on and then Minamino or Fabio Carvalho (if we get him over the line) could replace him in that role. Or we could bring someone new in, I’m quite interested in bringing in Xavi Simons personally.

Think that would be enough providing we keep Fabinho, Henderson, Thiago, Jones, Elliott and Morton as the foundation of the midfield.

Personal choices would be Camavinga if theres any truth to Real being happy to move him on, along with Xavi Simons.

It does look like Klopp wants Milner to stay for another 12 months. Possibly either reduced wages or a pay as you play basis, I think. He might not want to stay though.

1 Like

I think Jurgen likes the thought of the academy players watching and learning from the older hands in the squad.
It is something that is difficult to replicate if they are not there and difficult to put a price on stuff like that

4 Likes

I think if Milner comes in as a player coach. There is a chance to shift some of his wages from the wagebill and onto the coaches salaries which aren’t controlled by FFP norms etc

3 Likes