Who would you buy?

Good example? Even if you see Bales point of view favourably in his dispute with Real I’m not sure anyone could argue they’d be wanting Elliott to follow his example. Elliott has a much better role model in Salah to follow top knot or not.

4 Likes

I think it was tongue-in-cheek.

6 Likes

Yes, definitely tongue in cheek… just a silly comment about top knots.

Bale? He has lost his way. Was excellent years ago toward the end of his time at Spurs. Looked every inch world class. Went to Real Madrid, second fiddle to Ronaldo, did well enough early doors, but for the money they paid he never got anywhere near to putting up the sort of numbers that Ronaldo and Messi did. But he was good. But then injuries started to see him miss more football. And he has a ridiculous contract, which in effect is a ‘golden handcuffs’ for him.

The powers that be at Real Madrid leaned on him as they wanted him to move on. He would have gone to China but Real Madrid reneged on the terms, so he stayed put.

These days he strikes me as a man who has well and truly fallen out of love with the game, but will happily collect his money. I don’t blame him, as it is his right to do so, but he doesn’t exactly come out of the ongoing saga with much credit either.

Bale for us?

It would be a no for me. Too risky. As a footballer he can cover the front three, if he is fit and firing. Big if. But then beyond that, even if his bloated wages were subsidized we would still likely make him our highest paid player, or in that bracket, with the portion we would pay, and in a squad that works hard for one another, that might create disharmony.

He’s a Man Utd signing if ever I saw one.

They need another Alexis Sanchez.

5 Likes

We gotta get an out and out goal scoring striker. I don’t know what’s wrong with Bobby the last 12 months but his finishing is seriously atrocious.

1 Like

His finishing isn’t great, but I think that is made worse by the runs and passes he makes for Mo and Sadio in which he gives up the positions or scoring opportunities that he would find it easier to score from. Most forwards’ games are built around the opposite.

I have been wondering if Klopp would try to get an old fashioned target man option for the bench .

2 Likes

I think the difficulty with that is how key Bobby is to the rest of our play. When he’s on-form but not scoring you don’t want to bring him off as he’s creating chances for others while contributing a ton elsewhere.

But when he’s off-form in that regard, you want to bring on someone who provides the stuff Bobby usually does, which is going to be someone more like Keita or Ox than a no9.

It’s better really to just think of Mo and Mane as our strikers, whatever the formation looks like on the team sheet.

4 Likes

Totally agree. I dont expect the same goals from him as I would a regular forward, but something more in line with a midfielder with a good goalscoring record.

Also worth adding that even though we don’t get many penalties, he rarely takes them when we do. That’s probably rare amongst 9’s and reduces his likely haul.

4 Likes

He can go to Leeds. Top knot bellendery seems mandatory there.

3 Likes

Liked assuming you mean Bale and not Elliott!

1 Like

Yeah, Bales hair will fit right in at Leeds. Elliot will grow out of it. We’ve all had our shit teenage haircuts. Some of those Leeds players are grown men ffs.

3 Likes

We have two of the best goal-scoring forwards in the world. Strange comment.

1 Like

2, and only 2. What we going to do when they’re injured? And it will happen that one or both are down injured. Can’t rely on Bobby to fill the drop in goals.

Bobby is in a little bit of a funk right now… but I believe if the other 2 are out and we need him to score, he will.

He gives up a lot of decent opportunities to give his teammates even better ones. Pretty confident that Minamino will be able to chip in as well… as will Keita. And we have Brewster (at least for now).

Ideal situation is to have a speedy young forward who can backup Mane or Salah but I’m confident we can cope.

1 Like

We are no longer set up when one or even two players go missing, makes us completely devoid of ideas. The Madrid final was an example where we suddenly looked lacking in attack once Salah was out.

There will be impact, but the same can be said for any team “What if their two top two goalscorers are out?”

And we will be fine, we change the set up and go again, that’s the advantage of having a manager who is tactically astute and flexible. And we did give against barca when we had Salah and Bobby, both missing.

You mean like against Barca?

We have foward options who can get goals if Mo and Sadio are not available. Perhaps not as consistently, but it is there.

We can also switch formation, to increase the likelihood of goals from midfield, and we’ve improved our threat from set pieces too.

4 Likes

Against Lincoln would be a good time to experiment - Brewster flanked by Minamino & Elliott possibly with the debut of Thiago.

It is not too uncommon to see DMs play as CBs so I’d also like to see Grujic tried there at least once or twice before we pull the trigger and sell him.

Besides the fact that Grujic isn’t needed in our midfield, he is a pretty good player. And I would hate to lose him for less than 20m even if he isn’t good enough for our midfield.

1 Like

Need a CB. Maybe a punt on Rudiger, He seems to be on his way out and he would be available at an affordable price

Like a punt to the head? Or maybe into touch?

4 Likes

That’s like saying I’m thirsty so I’m just going to pick up a random can of coke that I just saw a crackhead finish rimming. After all, it’s cheap.

3 Likes

Lol. But a decent enough CB with PL experience. We could do worse

1 Like