Who would you buy?

What I think we need;

GK; I think Kelleher has been great but with Adrian running out of contract in the summer and Karius almost certainly off I think we need an experienced back up too. Kelleher plus another young GK as back up for Alisson would be too risky. If recruiting “Home Grown” I’d look at maybe Fraser Forster or even get Danny Ward back. But much better to shop abroad. Maybe someone like Muslera. Any possible move here will probably wait till summer but I’d be more comfortable the sooner the better.

CB; I’ve gone over the needs here before. Good in the air, reasonable pace, comfortable/confident on the ball. I think we need to get a bit younger of possible to be a long term appointment not a short term fix. We need this player in Jan.

CM; We would likely have a core of Henderson, Thiago, Fabinho (although may cover CB still), Jones. Plus we could have Keita and/or Ox although I think we might get rid of either or both. Milner would still likely be around another season too. For now I’d keep Ox, Wilson or Shaqiri as a different option and add a young CM talent to develop with Jones whilst Henderson and Thiago age. Camavinga would be the dream.

Forward; With Salah, Mane, Firmino, Jota and Minamino I’d bring Elliott back. I don’t think there’s any point keeping Origi and if Shaq stays I think he should be used in CM. There’s not an apparent need here but I think sometime someone will leave, whether this summer or not I don’t know but I would be looking at Mbappe, Sancho or Haaland (only if Firmino is the one going) if one of the main 3 go.

1 Like

The more I reflect on our centre back situation, the more I think we need to sign a top quality player who will become first choice.

Who knows what VVD will be like when he returns, he may become injury prone himself. Matip will always be so, and Gomez is fragile both physically and mentally. It’s just not good enough.

People say that a new guy would need to settle, but a top class player would still offer more than Williams and Philips during the second half of the season on a week in week out basis.

VVD settled immediately.

It was the signing of VVD that took us to the next level and our experience of actually winning things is now locked in. This, together with other improvements since then, like our full backs having gone up a level and a world class keeper having been signed, means we can cope without him and still challenge.

But we can’t challenge with Williams and Philips playing week in week out.

I really don’t want us to be the first club to be top of the table at Xmas three consecutive years, but not win the title in two of them.

We need this second title of this era, we need to win something each season for the era to measure up against past ones and for this team to be a great team not just a short lived thing.

Imagine how dispiriting it is for everyone else in the team to be busting a gut to unlock determined defences, having to score cast iron certain goals because any margin is pounded on via VAR, and having to tolerate thuggery, only for the club to allow all this to lead to nothing because it will not address a clear and obvious issue in central defence.

We’ve a 20 man senior outfield squad, with seven midfielders, seven forwards and only six defenders, of whom four are currently injured.

We have to sign a quality defender in January.

10 Likes

Get Matt Ryan in. We’ve looked at him before, he was outstanding for Brighton last year, and would be available in January for less than £10million.

Agreed, but not because of Williams or Phillips who I think could see us through fairly well for what are our 5th/6th choice CBs, but because all our top three CBs are either injured with no guarantee that they’ll return to their best or always either injured or two games away from being injured (Matip).

No more messing. Bring in Konate or someone of equivalent quality and potential.

5 Likes

With our 3 senior CB’s out injured surely we will bring someone in next month, imagine a injury or suspension to Fab we are left with Williams and Phillips. :shushing_face:
Cmon Fsg get that cheque book out for Jurgen. We keep hearing they not going to bring one in for short term gain but if we win CL or PL it must be worth it.

1 Like

I’m seeing conflicting reports about Lindelöf possibly being done for the season. If he is I would expect United to also go to market for a central defender.

Also of related note, Tottenham likely to sign Milan Škriniar in January. Inter evidently motivated to sell and complete the deal.

They’ll probably go for Koulibaly and we’ll get someone who none of us have considered, but who turns out to be twice as good

7 Likes

I’ve considered that, and I agree. If we do end up signing a central defender it will be none of the names mentioned but will be a quality player.

I just did a quick glance around the socials and amusingly enough I’m seeing United fans thinking they’re “bringing in Upamecano now instead of waiting until Summer as originally planned.”

2 Likes

Jonny Evans.

Contract up in the summer. Can get on a cheap this January. Prem proven and a decent defender. If you can look past his previous club I reckon he can be a success.

Brenda would never let him go.

I’m watching this Leicester game now and they are saying his contract is up end of the season. So I’d reckon surely Brendan would cash in while he can. Maybe 10 million? Surely they would take that and let Fofana and the Turkish lad get that game time

Fuck no! Sorry to be so disrespectful to your suggestion but I’m not even thinking of his history. He’d be hopelessly exposed by our style of play.

7 Likes

Johnny Evans!!!

I’d sooner tell Carra to blow the dust of his boots.

5 Likes

Skrtel has 6 months left on his contract :see_no_evil:

1 Like

I guess todays news pretty much made it clear what we need to do this January. I suspect the club has already been working on it.

Shame though, I would like to see the existing squad cope with the shit storm this season is proving to be without having to dip into the market to ease a few things here and there. I’m sure it might feel a little alien to Klopp.

1 Like

Jonny Evans is pretty good to be honest. A better defender than almost all the players that I’ve seen mentioned in connection with us so far. Not ideally suited to the way we play but more so than Williams and Phillips.

Won’t happen though, if we look at someone I’d expect a younger player.

His neck is long so his jump doesn’t have to be high.

Anyone know Duje Caleta-Car apparently he’s available in January.

2 Likes

At this point, it’s pretty much essential. I am really concerned that Gomez is done (isn’t this his third serious knee injury), and Matip is already a write off.

2 Likes

He’s one of Degsy’s boys. He was on that 2018 World Cup team that lost to France in the finals. I haven’t at all followed his pro career so I don’t know how he’s played for club.

3 Likes