Who would you buy?

We’ll recall big Nat, give him another new contract, still demand £20m when he’s about 35 and wonder why there are no takers.

1 Like

Nights Talladega GIF

To be fair, given the rate of football inflation, that would be pennies by then.

2 Likes

At the moment, we have 4 senior CBs available, which is technically enough (especially if Klopp expects Quansah to play some league and EL knockout matches and not just cup ties). Okay, Gomez has to provide full-back cover as well, but this burden shall be partly alleviated by return from injury by both Bradley and Robbo (the latter hopefully next month).

In a perfect world though, our scouting department already identified potential Matip replacement at CB and would just seek to do the business half a season earlier than expected initially. That would not happen for the first time anyway (remember the signing of Diaz?).

I would prefer the second option, but the first in-club option (possibly accompanied by recall of Nat Philips from loan) seems more likely given how our club is run.

Screaming Anthony Anderson GIF by HULU

It’s absolutely clear we need to go get a CB in January. Hopefully a target will be available, even if it means over paying. Just get it done. We are absolutely in the mix for the league title and it would be a shame if a lack of depth in that area is the reason we fall short. Quansah has exceeded expectations , but can’t be relied upon just yet.

2 Likes

If Quansah can play RCB too I would give him the chance.

He’s right footed, so no reason why he can’t. He only played LCB so far, which is a compliment to him. Might be even better at RCB!

2 Likes

Konate is very good 3rd choice CB but doesn’t have the potential to reach Matip level.

Gomez is past his best as CB + far from injury free + we need him as FB cover.

Quansah is very young and still inexperienced.

With Matip out I highly doubt total quality in that area is good enough and even if it would be that won’t be enough in quantity.

There is no improvised solution for this. A new CB has to be presented - ideally under the Christmas tree and not by the end of January.

2 Likes

Agree with most you say, but disagree that Konate can’t reach Matip levels. He absolutely can.

4 Likes

Never was. Never will be.

Very shaky. Not very good on the ball. Lacks football intelligence.

He has a bit of Lovren and a lots of Sakho in him.

Matip outshined Virgil in many games throughout his time here. Never seen Konate do that.

Very good third choice but nowhere near to the quality we need for our second best CB.

Then you haven’t been paying attention. Konaté has frequently been better than Virgil when they have played together; it’s only the injuries that have prevented him from progressing into the best central defender in the game.

5 Likes

Quansah usually plays at RCB for the U21s, so no worries on which side he can play.

I do think we will look for a CB in January, I doubt Gomez is really viewed as a CB anymore. He has played well at FB, especially RB, but CB has been a struggle for him.

Todibo link is probably bullshit, as most links are, but it would be interesting to me if that was part of a new strategy for us - to target players who have underperformed at big clubs before. Gravenberch is currently the exception, not the rule, but if we target someone like Todibo then it may hint that we are seeking value in players others have dismissed.

3 Likes

Gvardiol was the one. I was hopeful he’d stay at Leipzig for another year after mentioning that he grew up being a Liverpool fan.

We had to invest in midfield last summer and it was always clear 2024 defensive players will come in.

Now he is in Peps nowhereland.

He’s been pretty much anonymous for City so far but he’s only 21, sure he’ll come good. He hasn’t been the game changing defender he was advertised as, yet, though.

2 Likes

I’d say it’s somewhere in between. Konate can get to Matip’s level and already did at times (he won his place in Paris, after Matip had the advantage for more of that season). But to be the or one of the world’s best… I don’t think his ceiling is that high, no.

1 Like

Looking forward to see what kind of CBs we will be linked with.

Priorities

1. Dutch player
  2. Portugese player
  3. Player from Portuguese league
  4. Japanese CB from Stuttgart

:sweat_smile:

We will be linked to every CB going now.

I’m with Sweeting I expect we will go into the market.

1 Like

I think we have to go into the market. Konate tends to pick up niggling injuries and if we lose Virgil, we’re fucked.

2 Likes

Both Konate and Gomez do.

Probably a blessing it happened now.