Who would you buy?

The question for me is not who is 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th choice CB. Because we have plenty of choices to rotate there. Konate, Quansah, Gomez and if we keep VDB and even outliers like Rhys, Philips and Koumetio. I say it’s a question because at this point, not even Konate looks assured of a first team place besides VVD. In fact Matip is as good as any of them if not better for most parts when he was fit but I think that boat has sailed. So to me logically, the right move is to go out and buy a CB leader. I say leader because none of the CB options we have outside of VVD looks like a leader type who organises the defence. You need a 24-26 year old now who is already very good, leads, can play alongside VVD now and eventually takes over VVD. This will give Konate a kick for competition and Quansah who is much younger to develop and compete. These will be 4 CB in the coming season and then the 5th or 6th choice will depend on what happens with the options we have

1 Like

I like both, but isn’t Isak injury prone?

Purely for discussion, I have no preference for the below player or think that Manures will sell to us

Sancho. If you are Liverpool and look at the Sancho now, doing pretty reasonably well again for Dortmund and enjoying football, would you take a punt on him (ignore the manures).

I always wonder like where is the line to draw that a player has gone too far down to have any ups. For example Coutinho was definitely not doing much at Inter then we signed him and worked out for us for a short period and managed to gain an obscene profit. We tried with Shaqiri, did not really fully worked out. So is there any great examples of players like this working out or it’s exceptions rather than norm?

This is your opinion, not “how the club would see it” as you state.

Let’s see what happens in the summer.

Sancho would be very expensive to sign and his attitude is questionable, so i would pass.

There are probably similarly talented players available but for a lower fee somewhere in the market

2 Likes

Konate is definitely ahead of Gomez at CB.

But even Konate himself isn’t quite where we’d all like him to be.

Still not playing enough games and still needs to cut out some brainfarts.

That’s where we need more competition (not to be in a situation where Konate plays whenever he’s fit, regardless of form), because Virgil is still playing high level at LCB (not eternal, but still).

3 Likes

No way that Newcastle sell us Isak.

1 Like

Ignoring the fact that he’s a manure , I’d still give a pass to Sancho.

Some people aren’t good for the premier league while they may be very effective in other leagues. Nothing to do with the quality of the leagues. Sancho might just be someone who’s more tailored to the German league.

I wouldn’t know to be honest with u. He just looks like a natural finisher and a number 9 to me and would be great in front of Dom and MacAllister

It was someone else that suggested him

Sancho hasn’t even been that great in the Bundesliga this season, I suppose that CL performance has slightly skewed the perception.

1 Like

Took some time to get going. And yes , wasn’t great. Inconsistent as well too…

But there’s a player there , just not sure he’s someone who’s a PL player.

I think they’re in some trouble w.r.t FFP and a firm offer might make it difficult for them to refuse.

Seen a lot across the forums and social media about:

Olise
Kudus
Bakayoko
Summerville

These would be in contention for the wide attacker role we’ve been rumoured to be targeting, although there could potentially be a departure or two in Salah and Diaz.

Personally, I think Bakayoko has the raw attributes we’d want, but only seen him in a handful of games. Arguably, I’d say Summerville does as well, but the fanbase would probably be largely underwhelmed by them as signings.

Olise has speed, but he’s not rapid, which I think we’re really missing in this side. Also concerned about the two hamstring injuries he’s had, one leaving him out for 4 months.

Salah and Mane at their peaks left defenders trembling, while Firmino’s movement opened up all the spaces for them to penetrate. Arsenal have speed out wide in Saka, while Trossard is quick, and Martinelli off the bench is rapid too.

Know quite a few fans around my neck of the woods, and although I ask about Summerville, a few of them insist on Archie Gray , someone we’ve been linked with for a while too. Not sure we have the space for him though.

1 Like

I’d take all three.

Olise and Kudus right away to be starters.

Bakayoko as a rotation option.

1 Like

I like Olise very, very much, he and Eze caught everyone’s eye. Injuries might be a big issue for them going forward, though, that would be my main concern should Liverpool pursue any of them. Same goes for Kudus - though I don’t know much about his overall game, I always focused on watching him play with the ball at his feet (he’s like Drogba at times, a true battering ram that makes people bounce off it).

Schlotterbeck.

Matip will leave, Konate gets injured. Quansah is going to be massive and VVD is probably scaling down over next two seasons.

Everyone in Europe will be after him now.

They are in the CL final and probably don’t even know how.

Schlotterbeck was shit for most part of the season and not even a starter.

I would love it if we signed Mbumo and Olise