Who would you buy?

Can someone give a report on Rodrigo De Paul? I watch zero Udinese matches so I’ve never watched him play but he seems very highly regarded as a box to box and his advanced stats are impressive.

His name keeps popping up with links to Liverpool.

1 Like

So we aren’t going to sign him. :blush:

4 Likes
2 Likes

Not in the same bracket at this moment but there’s a part of me that just can’t help thinking that he’s exactly what Liverpool’s attack needs at this moment. He’s a cunning fox, extremely intelligent for a young striker. Doesn’t drop as deep as Firmino or Kane but is involved in attacks, he can occupy a defender as easily as he can spring the offside trap.

I also think he’s the kind of striker who can make the most out of that extra bit of space that defenders afford Firmino because they are busy doubling up on Salah or Mane (especially Salah). Not to mention his finishing ability (and this club could use a left-footed striker who can score more than 100 league goals, it’s been a while since we had one)… If the midfield is fine-tuned to rely on individual creativity rather than team pressing to consistently carve out chances for forwards, he would be my pick (as Mbappe is either going to Real Madrid or staying at PSG).

Obviously, Haaland won’t sign for Liverpool because the club can’t afford him (and who knows what his plans are - Man United perhaps?) and even if he does, he’ll get injured as soon as he signs the contract, it’s that simple!

2 Likes

A Leeds born Leeds fan whose dad played for City and Leeds? It’d be like Robbie Fowlers kid playing for United!

2 Likes

How do you fancy Bamford!!! Yeah, he isn’t exactly stellar like Mbappe or Haaland but I feel he would be a very good option.

It will be interesting if we buy anyone at all if we do miss out on Europe.

You’ve nailed it, mate! :joy:

Karius, Ojo, Wilson, Grujic, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Shaqiri, Woodburn, Minamino, Origi all need to be sold. Maybe a few more.

Oxlade-Chamberlain was a strange transfer at the time. Never been a great player. Injury prone and over priced. Needs to be sold. Just doesn’t offer much to this team but that could go for a few players right now.

1 Like

I think the first team is in need of a rebuild. There are only a few players I’d want to keep going forward:

VVD, Mo, Mane, Trent, Thiago, Robbo, Hendo, Ali, Jota, Curtis, and Fab.

Everyone else can be sold for whatever we can get. I’m open to offers for Mo and Mane, too. Hendo is on his last legs as well.

We just need to have fresh legs who are motivated to prove themselves that can resuscitate the fire that these club needs to execute Jurgen’s tactics effectively.

Compare our results with and without him in midfield.

Hendo is one of the last players who should be sold.

5 Likes

Which is why I didn’t list him on my players who needed be sold. But he’s also getting past his prime age wise and he has an extensive injury history, so it’s time to start thinking about a post-Hendo era.

1 Like

That’s easy: Camavinga. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Ok if we buy Haaland, the theme song for him is Angel Of Haaland from U2.

paid pay day GIF

4 Likes

Need to switch to 442 diamond formation till the end of the season for me. Drop Mane and Firmino till they can start contributing when they come off the bench and play their way into contention. We used to have a meritocracy here and we were proud of it but this season it hasn’t seemed to matter as much how players have played recently their status in the squad seems fixed based on prior seasons.

Salah and Jota up top. Origi and Mane back ups.
Jones, Ox, Shaqiri, Firmino, Keita are all options for tip of the diamond.
The two CMs would ideally be Gini and Thiago but one of them is probably needed deeper for now so Keita, Jones or Milner is probably going to have to play there for now.
Base of the diamond ideally we want Fabinho but he may be covering CB so may have to be Thiago or Gini.
Back 4 of whatever can be cobbled together from broken and used parts.

Limp to the end of the season and rebuild.

The GK we are fine with Alisson and Kelleher as our first 2 choices, need a less nervy 3rd choice than Adrian if possible. Someone with experience who won’t shit the bed if stuff starts going wrong and Alisson is out a while.

CB/DM I want fluid. A DM who can drop back and be part of a back 3 either fluidly in games or set up as a back 3 from the start. Won’t always play with the DM in front of 2 CBs too, sometimes have an extra player higher up the pitch. Fabinho is perfect for this and adding a cheap back up that might not play much but can play CB and DM would be good. VvD and Gomez working their way to fitness hopefully. Davies as emergency back up LCB. One real good, young, CB added to these, good enough to start.

CM double pivot of Henderson and Thiago, Milner as emergency back up. Need a strong back up adding. Keita has till end of the season to persuade us we don’t need two.

Attack can then be 3 or 4 depending if we use the DM/3rd CB. Fluid set ups that can change. If 3 forwards it can be set up with two attacking mids with a forward in front, one attacking mid with two forwards in front, a flat 3 with two versatile forwards with an attacking mid on one of the wings or a fluid front 3 of versatile forwards. In the 4 attack it could be one attacking mid behind the 3 floating forwards, 2 attacking mids supporting 2 forwards or 3 attacking mids supporting one forward (turning it into 4231).

Salah, Jones, Elliott, Jota should be the core of that group. Mane and Firmino have both individually got to turn their form around and make us keep them no matter what. We might be under a lot of pressure to sell players to recover other revenue losses this summer and they’re seeming to cry out “pick me” with their form right now to me. I’d also give Wilson one year here purely as a back up as some of these formations might make him an interesting option. He hasn’t fit the standard 433 we’ve been using till now.

Karius, Adrian, Phillips, Matip, Grujic, Wijnaldum, Ox, Shaqiri, Woodburn, Ojo, Minamino, Origi and Awoniyi all definitely to go for me. Some by their choice, some because we just can’t rely on them due to fitness and some because they simply aren’t good enough. It’s shocking a manager of Klopps ability is still being made to make do with some of these. We won’t get peak value but we won’t be shopping at peak value either.

A cheap/free, homegrown, veteran keeper for 3rd choice. A CB good enough to start (Kabak is having a prolonged audition). A back up player for CB and DM. A CM. Keita stay or a 2nd CM. Firmino stay or an attacking mid. Mane stay or a versatile, wide forward.

3 Likes

Any new player should be 25 years old or younger, preferably U23.

1 Like

Minamino deserves another chance if he plays well in Soton. Shaqiri can be used but we have to move away from 4-3-3 because he is an attacking midfielder. He will be effective in 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-1-2.

AOC only had his chance after Coutinho left. Back in 2017, he was never intended to be a starting 11 player like Henderson, Can, Wijnaldum or even Milner.

Who would you buy?

Someone who can score a fucking goal to start with.

2 Likes

Errrrr… no

1 Like

From the #8s we are being linked with who has statistically and potentially the most goals in him?