Your "second" or favourite non-LFC club

My local club, Detroit City, has a similar kind of punk/counter-culture/leftist supporter base – and in 2018 St. Pauli came to town for our annual friendly against a foreign club. :+1:

DCFC play in the third tier and going to their matches in person has gotten me over most of my snobbery about “good football” – although we definitely try and play! But lower league is a lot of fun.

6 Likes

Dortmund
Sheffield United
Lincoln City
Union Berlin
St Pauli
I used to like Celtic, but tbh all that sectarian stuff is deeply unpleasant and their league is so boring that it’s impossible to care.
In general, the underdogs

3 Likes

Season ticket holder at Leyton Orient.
My dad and uncles team from 50s so me, them and my boy go over there.
Get to club house early to watch early Liverpool KOs and bomb home if they ko 5.30
Before COVID of course!

5 Likes

I don’t really have one. Liverpool is my only love in sports in general. Used to get excited as a kid over Croatia’s national team games, but that has dropped in last years.

Growing up in Croatia as a kid just starting to go to training, it was Hajduk Split (biggest rivalry here is between Hajduk Split and Dinamo Zagreb, Dinamo have simply dominated domestic affairs on and off the pitch in the last 15 years or so) and going to watch my ex-local team Sibenik (they just got promoted back to the first league), just as an opportunity to watch some live football on a regular basis.

But Liverpool were there from the very start, they were always my main focus, can’t even call those mentioned one of my other favourite clubs.

6 Likes

I have often many teams that I fancy, but it varies from season to season quite often, I just love to watch a lot of games, and then some teams charm you.
In the Premier League I suppose that I admire Wolverhampton, I think they are punching way above their weight and it makes me admire them.

Some of you may have read my first ever TIA post, when I asked if I could join and etc. Well, I won’t rip open that again, just noting that I had fun supporting the totally wrong team as a very young kid before I completely fell out with football at around 17-18. Then I didn’t watch football for years actually, before I started to watch a lot the Norwegian league. It was often fun, but these days those games bore me (until recently with Bodø- Glimt). I think after I became an adult the first truly wow moment I had was watching Jurgen Klopp’s Borossia Dortmund in the Champions League. I have fancied Dortmund more than a bit since. But yeah, it was Klopp that made me a Liverpool fan, got to admit that. But it is very fascinating for me just how much of a fan I have become. The last two years I have missed maybe 3-5 official Liverpool games, no more. It has become a bit of an obsession, I have completely fallen in love with everything Liverpool FC.

Anyway, in terms of Norwegian football, I adore the current leaders in the league. Bodø-Glimt (I spent a year in the army in Bodø in 2004, even watched them and I know a few people up north) Why do I adore them ? Well, for one, they are the only northern Norwegian team currently in the top division, not good enough reasons to adore them for sure. Nah, it has to do with them never having won the league before and playing absolutely awesome offensive football. They are just so, so good this seasons, keeps winning 6-1, 5-0 etc., and their run like hell in attack and bombs their opponents. Really charming team. Also, if they now manage to beat their Lithuanian (we all in Norway think they will, their form is sublime) opponent in the Europa League Play Qualifier, they will meet AC Milan in the last Play Off! That is going to be awesome (and difficult for them), but if they retain their form, there may be a yellow surprise for Milan in a few weeks (yeah, Bodø-Glimt’s shirts are yellow).

So yeah, I like football. Watch a lot of different football. Now I watch primarily Liverpool these days, but I do try to watch most Premier League games if I have the time, since I love to know exactly how good the various teams in the league are.

But Bodø Glimt vs Ac Milan, you heard it here first ! That’s a game you all should watch if they get there, they really do play nice offensive football Bodø. On a lesser level obviously to the premier League, but there are always a lot of goals.

6 Likes

I don’t really follow any other club with any specificity. I really love the youth project at Dortmund and have been a big fan of their development of talent over the last decade. Same with Ajax. Of the Top 6, Spurs have always been the least objectionable in my eyes. I do like the style of play that Bielsa has brought to Leeds.

Otherwise, I generally find myself rooting for anyone taking on the elite of Europe - with the exception of those taking on my Reds. :wink:

2 Likes

I should add, I always enjoyed watching Chelsea in 90s as well. Tore Andre flo, Zola, Poyet, all the lols of Dennis wise, Jody Morris, and frank leboeuf.

Loved Gudjansson (sp?) as a player.

Mixed together, exotic and comical.

2 Likes

Tampines Rovers

1 Like

I thought you were Danish, for some reason. I have a few friends from Sandefjord, so that’s my de facto Norwegian club.

To add to this, I’ve been living in Copenhagen for 7 years. I have a Brøndby season card. I certainly can’t claim any kind of love for Brøndby (a mild affection at best), but I certainly can claim a strong dislike for FCK.

4 Likes

In order…Chelski/Dirty Leeds (Just junior age 70s following). then softspots for Blackburn (Familar) and Forest (where I live) …tinsy wincy for Spurs…Blood feuds with the usually motley crew, generally I like any teams who hate the Enemy. I can live with that.

2 Likes

Borussia Dortmund.

1 Like

West Tigers in the NRL. However originally they were the Balmain Tigers. Their captain of the last ten years was also a die hard LFC fan. Robbie Farah.

2 Likes

Going through this thread, I was amazed to find the diverse locations we come from. Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia, Bulgaria…:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. I assumed most of us are from Liverpool and UK and some from USA.

Anyway, I was wondering if we can share a bit about where are we from or where we we live and perhaps the odd snippets about our place.

3 Likes

Palermo FC, local club now in 3rd division after going bankrupt a couple years ago.

5 Likes

Hometown club (FC Cologne) - usually not necessarily entertaining to watch on the pitch, but certainly always entertaining off the pitch.
Soft spot for Werder, St Pauli and Celtic

7 Likes

like a few others, arsenal is the only other big english club i don’t loathe. had a soft spot for newcastle, especially after rafa got there, but then they cried a river over our fans being in their home end a couple years ago (late winner from div from shaq service iirc) and i’m just a miserable bastard like that

philadelphia union is in my backyard (stadium is within walking distance of my union hall, local #413) and they’ve made strides over the last couple years

lyon always has good young talent and aulas is a proper cunt imo, don’t mind them either

despise barca & madrid but every other spanish team is just as vile–sevilla is even worse on the pitch

admire leipzig’s football too even if they’re extremely plastic

1 Like

Yes Lyon play football as well but the people from there … worst drivers in France. There’s also the problem of St Etienne their rivals who have really passionate suppoters and play football. Just impossible to separate the 2 so have to dislike both. :crazy_face: But yes 2 clubs with footballing tradition, just not as attractive and poetic as Nantes.

2 Likes

Southampton because I have a mate who’s a season ticket holder there. I like to keep up with them as it helps with the bantz. I was also a big Poch fanboy when he managed them.

Also Arsenal again because I know two season ticket holders really well. They have quite a knowledgeable fanbase and you would be surprised at how much admiration there is for Klopp and this Liverpool team. Not everyone hates us despite what some people might like you to think.

3 Likes

Let’s have one here then. :partying_face:

I’ve started one, just for you.

1 Like