ADRIÁN San Miguel del Castillo: 2020/21

I agree with this and I think Klopp does too. His comments after the game were very honest - that the mistake for the first goal was Adrian’s, but the response after that - a situation that we have found ourselves in before - wasn’t good enough.

However on the shooting from distance, teams might be reluctant to try it but I think - and this is just an eye assessment - our defenders actively encourage shooting from outside the box, confident that Alisson is dealing with it.

They can’t do that with Adrian. He’s actually not a bad stopper, but he’s nowhere near Alisson.

But this is all a bit obvious isn’t it. The conclusion we’re reaching seeming to be that we’re a much better and more stable side when we can play the worlds best goalkeeper.

From what I saw that is very misleading. We looked very determined after that and played some good footy.Even in the 2nd half we came out very determined our heads only started dropping after the 5th. So no I don’t think that 1st goal affected us adversely. It certainly didn’t have an influence on our abysmal midfield defensive display.

1 Like

How can it have no effect yet our midfield and defensive display (usually a smoothly operating and impressive unit limiting even good attacking sides to maybe 1 or 2 good goal chances per game) be abysmal?

The mentality monsters can’t handle conceding one goal?

6 Likes

Not with a fragility monster in goal.

6 Likes

Hard to fully concentrate on what’s in front of you if you need to concentrate on what’s behind you unless you’re professor Quirrell.

2 Likes

WHAT? :confused:

… or a professional. :astonished:

1 Like

You’ve mentioned the woman thing a couple of times now ‘scott’. Hadn’t realised you’d actually had the op - could tell from your profile pic and general demeanour that you were probably not cisgender. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Shhh… Thats almost too catchy - don’t want opponents/media using that one until after Allison is back.

1 Like

I’m a professional I can’t fucking type whilst looking the other way from my computer over my shoulder. Do you really thinking having a team mate not doing their job right has no impact on a player in close proximity to them?

REALLY?!!! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Yeah really. In a highly structured playing system like our defence do you think one member making a complete botch it job of his role will distract/effect the performance of the other members of the unit Yes or No? If you believe no we will have to agree to disagree.

It’s hugely convenient for all concerned that the lad who we’ve decided is a useless cunt was also responsible for Trent, Gomez, Van Dijk, and Fabinho all having absolute shockers as well. Makes it so much more simpler when you can pile the blame on one pair of shoulders rather than have to think about more complicated systemic issues.

3 Likes

For the record, I’m not blaming Adrian for losing to Villa. His fuck up for the first goal certainly didn’t help matters but my ire is not directed at him for the fact we lost the game. Really, my ire isn’t directed at HIM at all. He can’t help the fact he isn’t good enough although he does earn more than I will likely ever earn in my lifetime despite not being very good at the job he’s being paid to do.

Adrian is not good enough. The fact that the rest of the team were fucking awful didn’t exactly help the situation. He’s shit, we really shouldn’t be allowing the opposition so many opportunities for him to show it.

2 Likes

Nobody is blaming Adrian 100% but to think those others would perform the same way with Alisson behind them as they did with Adrian is Jose Mourniho style “put 11 stars on the pitch and expect them all to do their own quality thing” style thinking not Klopp “creating a unit great we than the sum of its parts” style thinking. One player impacts those around them. Just looking at the goals scored and if Adrian could have done more misses the biggest impact he had on that game. At least in my opinion.

There are many ways that lack of faith in your keep can have effects on a team. We have spent years experiencing it with a keeper who just refuses to come for crosses. After what happened, if it played on our mind we might expect our back 4 to get caught on the ball a few times due to a reluctance to play it back to the keeper. So this is the sort of argument that appears reasonable and might make people nod their head in agreement immediately after reading it, but it doesnt hold up to the remotest bit of scrutiny.

What is the connection between a keeper fucking up in the 4th minute and a midfield spending the entire game watching runners go by them and not responding? What about our unusual issue with getting knocked off the ball or failing to win the seconds? How does relate to Trent too often getting caught not at home? Surely if he had the shits about his keeper dropping clangers he’d be overly conservative and the complaints about his performance would be he failed to help out going forward.

The errors that were endemic in our performance were either completely unrelated to having little faith in our keeper, or actually the opposite of what you’d expect. And if anyone wants to claim that it was general navel gazing mopey reaction to feeling bad about not having Ali there to bail us out, then I dont know what team you’ve been watching for the past 3 years.

6 Likes

That’s only true if the system is absolute and unchanging and sacrosanct. Of course dropping a worse keeper into that position is going to rattle things. Same with any position.

But we’ve seen how this team has adjusted to playing with Adrian in the past. I don’t know why we just carried on playing exactly as if we still had the Brazilian.

I don’t want to excuse Adrian for that mistake by the way. But I also think the rest of the team, led by Van Dijk, making no adjustments for the simple fact that he isn’t Alisson is the greater crime.

And that starts with Robbo playing a chest high pass to him after four minutes, with a Villa player closing him down. You’d still want your keeper to deal with it, but why play that ball? Andy had other options. Let the lad settle in.

4 Likes

That’s not at all what you said in your OP.