ADRIÁN San Miguel del Castillo: 2020/21

Grujic is tall. Give him a pair of gloves and see how he does. Chance for a new career.

2 Likes

We will keep him and he will play the next games, so time to accept this now and move on.

We will adjust the defense, the players will react 100% and do better and that’s it. No need to discuss this to death.

It is what it is now.

6 Likes

This might not be a popular opinion, but I do not for the life of me understand why the ‘best defender in the world’ who is also the captain on the night, doesn’t sort this. It’s almost like the whole team has not noticed that the really boss goalkeeper who usually stands there is a different person.

If you look at the first goal, Robertson lobs the ball back to him from near the half way line at chest height. It doesn’t excuse the mistake, but for fucks sake don’t give the lad that to deal with four minutes into the game. It’s hardly going to help, is it.

4 Likes

OK, lock the thread. Let’s all reconvene when he next makes another mistake and not discuss it. Can someone point me in the direction of a football forum?

1 Like

I agree, the team has to adjust to Adrian, support his strengths and not make his weaknesses even weaker. They have already shown last season that they can do it if everyone works together.

3 Likes

All this playing out from the back malarkey makes me laugh. There’s plenty of PL defenders who can’t do it with any great competence as we witnessed in our first 3 games so why anyone expects Adrian to be able to is anyone’s guess.
Just don’t give him the fucking ball. Simple. He’s not a bad shot-stopper to be fair but don’t ask him to do things outside his comfort zone.
That said I’d have been looking to bring a keeper in if I was Jurgen, this fella could very easily finish our season in the next 6-8 weeks. :anguished:

2 Likes

Alisson was out for about two months at the start of last season and we still won the league. I am totally relaxed and can not understand all the bitching about Adrian. But i guess some so called fans need their villans in the squad - the Lovrens, the Morenos, the Mignolets…

All y’all are kissing Klopp’ and Edwards asses all the time so why not criticize them for a change for making the decision to make Adrian #2 and not panic buying on deadline day?

1 Like

He’s a fucking professional footballer. If he can’t deal with chest level passes, he is in the wrong profession.

Hi. So-called fan here. Ready for my lesson in how to uncritically support the club.

Adrian was great, no problems at all for me. Couldn’t be happier with him as our number 2.

Thought our tactical set up and performance against Aston Villa was a-ma-zing! Love to see it, the boys were so unlucky.

Couldn’t fault any of the lads.

Everything was just wonderful.

How did I do? Hopefully enough to be considered a proper fan.

3 Likes

BS, who are you to call me a so-called fan just because I think we need a better second goalkeeper? Even when we won all those matches I was clear for me that Adrian has a bad reaction time and horrible footwork. He did not make howlers in those matches but that is about it.

Now he makes them plus and the insecurity is written all over him what reflects on the whole defense. If Becker is out for a longer time that Klopp thinks and we still play Adrian over Kelleher
the attacking of the PL titel could be in real danger.

I really hope that Klopp won’t regret banking on Adrian as the second keeper this season. We have a run of utterly tough matches coming up after everyone comes back from those stupid internationals. Adrian will play every three days during three weeks, and will need to cut out his silly errors while remaining totally concentrated throughout.

Maybe it will be easier for him with some time ahead of him to prepare for that run of games. The other day, he was thrown in at short notice, that must not have been easy. It should also be noted that bar his first error which lead to the opener, he cannot do much on the other goals: a wonder-strike from Grealish, three deflections and two one-on-ones. Allisson could potentially have saved the one-on-ones, but the others? It’s only that bad error right at the start, which set the tone for the rest of the game, which goes on his account at 100%.

So, let’s hope that a run of games will bring the best out of the lad, that he’ll be able to raise his level and will also be better protected by his team-mates. Klopp and co need to take that into account and work on it. Fingers crossed! :crossed_fingers:t2:

3 Likes

I neither know the lad nor want to be critical… But to me, after he has had a career of mediocrity at best… he appears to want and embrace this ‘red carpet of fame’ he has suddenly found himself upon after the teams recent success and celebrity status that come with it… However, there has been a tremendous amount of hard work and heartbreak given by this team to get them where they are now… He would do well to remember that all we require from him in this hour need… instead of him strutting about on his ‘Hollywood Walk of Fame’ around his penalty box… is that he remains focused to the task at hand and repay the faith the club had in him, bringing him out of the wilderness… He seriously needs to just do the job that is required and keep us in the hunt until Allison returns…!!!

1 Like

Adrian isn’t good enough but he was a bit unlucky with 3 deflections - does Alisson save those? probably not.
OK he fucked up the 1st, the 2nd was a great finish but awful defending from Gomez.
Adrian was exposed a lot in that game. They had about 4 one on ones in the 2nd half.

The whole defence is a shambles at the moment. We got lucky v Arsenal when Lacazette went through one on one and Alisson saved it- on another day that goes in and we drop 2 points.

My old football manager used to say the ball has got past 10 other players before it reaches the keeper so look at how ball got through to keeper before we start moaning about the keeper.

That said Adrian doesn’t help himself with fuck ups like goal one. My mates a west ham season ticket holder and says Adrian will pull off a worldie one minute and boot the ball in his own net the next.

3 Likes

If only he’d leathered that first ball upfield, we’d be basking in the glow of a 4-0 victory…

:woozy_face:

2 Likes

Unfortunately for Adrian his mistake rather set the tone. Is he responsible for the high line, for Trent leaving Gomez exposed, for Keita, Wijnaldum and Fabinho failing to press effectively or track runners from midfield? No. Can he help the three deflections or the finish for the 2nd goal? No. Alisson’s probably not saving those either.

But that first goal. So early on, with such an avoidable error. I appreciate that the pass from Robertson wasn’t helpful but he’d dealt with that. He merely needed to play it to Gomez who was only 10-15 yards away. That wasn’t a hard pass to make yet he misplaced it by some distance. That was awful.

How we responded after that compounded his initial error so that the scoreline quickly ran away from us. We had that crucial penalty decision at 2-1 go the wrong way for us but other than that there can be little complaints about the way the game went from then on.

We ought to have reacted to what was happening and we didn’t. That’s not Adrian’s fault. That’s the players and the coaching staff. None of what happened after Adrian’s early error changes the fact that he’s not good enough, even to be second choice. And what’s more, opposition teams know it. It’s why Villa are having pot shots from 25 yards out. Adrian’s frailties encourage them. How often do you see opponents taking so many pot shots from outside of the box when Alisson’s in goal? I’d be interested to see if there are any stats that support my feeling that teams are far more likely to shoot from distance against Adrian than they are against Alisson.

Ok, I’ve checked this season’s games - accept it’s a small sample so will look at a few from last season if I get time.

The opponent shot from outside of the box as many times in total (6) in the games against Chelsea, Leeds and Arsenal as in the single game against Aston Villa. Chelsea, Leeds and Arsenal scored from 1 of their 6 shots from outside of the box (Phillips for Leeds) compared with 3 goals scored by Leeds (Grealish, Barkley and McGinn). (WhoScored)

I’m not saying that Alisson would have saved those goals - I’m simply making the point that perhaps with Alisson in goal Aston Villa don’t even attempt to shoot from there.

5 Likes

Or if Twatkinson had given that blatant penalty… we would have gone on to win 4-1.

2 Likes

Now you really are clutching at straws… The dream team of Atkinson and Moss on VAR…

In opposing players heads we have gone from UNbeatable to beatable due to frailties of Adrian…

That is what is going to make life hard in these coming weeks… Step-up Achterburg and earn your corn… get him prepped and ready!!!

See the problem is the defensive unit is a machine of moving parts. One part or even two having a sub par performance can be dealt with but if one of the parts is completely failing it’ll drag down every other part. That extra couple of looks around, concentrating on what’s going on with your team mates is distracting you from what you should be doing as an easy example. People not being in the right areas for the right passing lanes because they’re trying not to expose a team mate or they’re nervously trying to not be exposed/bypassed if a runner goes a certain way as another. The fact that Adrian may not have directly been able to do much about specific shots misses that Adrian might have been the distraction that meant other players weren’t able to do something in the build up. We had this with Lovren and Skrtel for years, even when they didn’t personally do anything wrong that lead to chances or goals theyd be doing random shit that meant their team mates would have to be trying to do something they shouldn’t have been trying. It just introduces a chaos element to an otherwise structured environment that runs smoothly and like clockwork. Maybe more should have been done from the bench to bring it under control but Klopp and the staff aren’t on the field and can’t do it for the players. They all ended up having bad days except maybe Robertson but does anyone really believe they would have been anywhere near as bad if Alisson was taking cool, calm, command behind them instead?

Whatever you’re smoking i’ll take half an ounce,please.

1 Like