AFCON and Football in Africa

Not really been paying attention due to work and man flu. Is there any chance of Mo or Sadio coming home early or are they likely to get through the group stage?

All three will easily reach the next round.

1 Like

Key one is the last 16 and QF, they were always going make the last 16, the final and 3/4 place playoff is on the fourth round cup weekend.

It would be good to have them back for that at the latest.

Also had me wondering if JK will give each of them an additional week (or about) rest before returning to the club after they are out.

Yup, I guess it depends how he feels.

If they go out Last 16 that’s about a fortnight and then the Q finals would be 11 or so days.

Semi finals mean they play another game due to the 3/4 which would leave them 4/5 days

If any of them reaches the final on Sunday February 6th the big question would be if they will be available for Leicester on Thursday February 10th.

Fed up seeing shit like this on BBC and especially SKY. There’s clearly a patronising, colonial attitude in the clips they select for the Brits to laugh at.

There’s been some brilliant games and goals at AFCON that don’t get the same coverage

2 Likes

It’s a fair point but that goalkeeping error was fucking funny. There’s just something about goalkeepers fucking up like that which is hilarious, regardless of who they are.

Group E is still wide open. Remaining games:

Ivory Coast (4 pts.) vs. Algeria (1 pts.)
Sierra Leone (2 pts.) vs. Equatorial Guinea (3 pts.)

It was funny and my comment wasn’t personal. Just that too many of the clips on BBC, Sky, twitter etc are taking the piss, rather than celebrating the football like they would for WC or Euros.

There are massive outliers like Mo and Mane but the majority of the AFCON players probably earn less than the teams in your local park. Yet the games are better than some PL games.

Also the AFCON refereeing has been sneered at, but I daresay a Ugandan social media company could put together clips of some of this season’s PL refereeing that would give everyone a laugh!

2 Likes

Atm senegal is lucky not to be down by 2 goals. Mané invisible

Guinee is, still in second place though

1 Like

Zimbabwe in last place of the group have scored more goals than the teams above them

2 Likes

Naby lad scored a goal against Zimbabwe. Guinea still a goal down.

That was a belter in the top corner from the edge of the box

Btw he’s suspended for the next round

If they play Cameroon he can come back with the next plane …

1 Like

I think there is a change that Sadio will play Mo in the next round if Egypt finishes third in their group.

2 Likes

Ghana out as things stand because Comoros scored against them.

Maybe Arsenal are hoping that Partey will be available in the second leg :joy:

I think you’ll find it’s “work event”