AFCON and Football in Africa

Ghana are out.

Mo just missed a glorious chance.

Updated.
Egypt 1-0 Sudan.

Expecting Egypt to play Ivory Coast on Wednesday and crash out.

2 Likes

Bad tackle with studs showing on Mo, thank goodness Mo escape from getting hurt from that.

1 Like

:clap:t6:

Round of 16 (incomplete)

Burkina Faso vs. Gabon
Nigeria vs. E/F third-placed

Senegal vs. Cape Verde
Winner F vs. Runner-up E

Guinea vs. Runner-up F
Cameroon vs. C/E third-place

Winner E vs. Egypt
Morocco vs. Malawi

1 Like

If Algeria (who was considered one of the main favourites before the tournament) does not win against Ivory Coast today, they are out of the tournament, so they have to go for the win. And if the Ivory Coast does not win, the winner of the other group game between Sierra Leone and Equitorial Guinea is the winner of the group and plays Egypt in the first knockout round. So while the Ivory Coast (who leads the group now) might be a slight favourite to face Egypt, the group still remains pretty open and it is theoretically possible for any of those teams to win the group and consequently face Egypt in the knockout phase.

1 Like

As with everything in SA, there’s a racial divide. Rugby is seen as more of a white sport and football is supported by the black community.

1 Like

So I recon cricket is a white sport?

Well, even the whites are divided between British and Boers.
There is a story that when Jan Smuts, the Boer president of SA was told that the English had been beaten at cricket he replied “Our English or their English?”

Cricket has been traditionally a white sport, but SA have now realised that there is a huge untapped potential in the black community and some good black players are emerging.

1 Like

Looks like mahrez is going back to england early.

Misses a pen while 3-0 down

Mo faces Ivory Coast in the first knockout round and it seems Egypt is not the favourite to make it past the in-form Elephants. Although I wish Mo all the best here, I think he might just be the first of our Africans to be back at Kirkby.

On the other hand, Sadio’s Senegal are probably the favourites to make it to the final or at least semi-final, which means he stays there right until the end of the tournament.

Naby’s main challenge (if Guinea win the Round of 16 without Naby, who is suspended for the match) will surely be the Quarter-final against an in-form home team.

Anyway, the best-case scenario for our boys (some would consider it the worst-case because all three of them would then stay down there until February 6) would result in all three of them getting a medal around the neck, because they cannot meet each other before the semi-final (Mo and Naby) or the final (Sadio). I hope at least one of them lifts the trophy. My heart roots for Mo, but my head would rather put money on Sadio.

My heart, head and every cell in my body hope they all lose and get back uninjured to Liverpool asap.

3 Likes

I want one of our lads to win it. But if they come home early I’m not complaining.

2 Likes

Burkina Faso vs. Gabon
Nigeria vs. Tunisia

Senegal vs. Cape Verde
Mali vs. Equatorial Guinea

Guinea vs. Gambia
Cameroon vs. Comoros

Ivory Coast vs. Egypt
Morocco vs. Malawi

Algeria and Ghana finishing bottom of their groups is just shocking.

3 Likes

I think we’ll be seeing Mo again fairly soon, can’t see Egypt getting through that tie.

1 Like

To build on that; Quarter finals take place Jan 29th and 30th

QF1: Guinea/Gambia vs. Cameroon/Comoros

QF2: Burkina Faso/Gabon vs. Nigeria/Tunisia

QF3; Ivory Coast/Egypt vs. Morocco/Malawi

QF4: Senegal/Cape Verde vs. Mali/Eq. Guinea

Therefore, all three of our lads can make it to the semis (2nd/3rd Feb), at which stage Naby would come up against Mo, guaranteeing one of our lads is in the final, and one is [not] coming home at that point.

SF1 - Winner QF2 vs. Winner QF4
SF2 - Winner QF3 vs. Winner QF1

If they loose the semi there is a third place play off on the same day as the final

2 Likes

Bollocks - who even cares about finishing 3rd after all that.

Oh well

No idea how good Gambia is, but do you think Guinea will be able to beat Cameroon? So Nabby possibly to be back after the Q/F stage.

Ivory Coast vs Egypt a contender for 2 teams most would have predicted to be in the semis before the tournement, hard to call, but if Egypt lose, then Mo back before Feb is good for us.

Mane our only player that looks to have a genuine chance of getting to the later stages.