Al-Sandcastle - the sportswashing barcodes

Joelinton out for six weeks. With all the injuries they have, Man City are going to destroy them.

On a separate note:

https://twitter.com/ChrisDHWaugh/status/1745745325673906356

And also:

https://twitter.com/ChrisDHWaugh/status/1745744997096264026

After reading this, all I keep hearing is the sound of the wind whooshing while the sad violins weep endlessly and echo in the night.

1 Like

Yeah, Solankeā€™s made pretty good progress in the last few years. You can see now why certain clubs took him and wanted to work with him. Although I canā€™t see why would Newcastle need Solanke, they have Isak. Unless he proves to be injury prone.

1 Like

What goes around, comes around. He gets away with injuring opponents every game.

1 Like

Looks like theyā€™re already struggling off the pitch, as well as on it.

Couldnā€™t happen to a nicer bunch.

4 Likes

The logic of this rumour is incredibly tortured.

Despite the conventional wisdom that they havenā€™t spend much money since the takeover they have backed themselves into an FFP corner. There are discrepancies in the reporting in whether they just need to sell to buy or whether they need to generate funds to stay in compliance and Isak seems to be the player generating the attention. So this story appears to connect the dots that they would sell Isak to raise the revenue they need and then immediately spend similar or even more money to buy an older player with a lower ceiling

1 Like

This might be one of the benefits of the case against Man City.

It is now much harder to cheat, so even if a nation state buys a club, like the Saudis and Newcastle, the march to the top of the pile isnā€™t a foregone conclusion, since they have to play by the rules. (On that last point, Iā€™m sure there have been, and will be transgressions, but because of Man City it probably wonā€™t be as blatant or brazen).

Which circles back to Man City. All eyes are on that case. Will there be suitable punishment? The whole world knows they are cheats, and the Prem has undermined its own competition by allowing it so far.

1 Like

Is it just me or does Eddie sounds a bit salty :salt:

1 Like

I dont think this is true. City were ā€˜smartā€™ in how they ā€˜gamedā€™ the system, with a long term approach allowing them to ratchet up ā€˜official spendingā€™ and ā€˜official incomeā€™ figures. Perhaps that is partly because of the fortuitous situation the club was in when they took it over but clubs like Newcastle fall into the trap of trying to do too much too soonā€¦

Salty for sure.

He has all this illicit money to spend, but he canā€™t spend it. And his ā€˜amazingā€™ achievement of getting Newcastle to the CL (to fall at the first hurdle) and now up there in the Prem (between CL and mid table) is being met with a shrug from the wider football world.

He wants to be respected and feted, known as some sort of fresh faced Eddie, bringing the buzz to Tyneside. But no one gives a crap, and the whole thing is being met by a collective shrug of the shoulders by the wider football community.

In that regard it is similar to what is eating away at Pep Guardiola.

Salty Eddie.

Is right.

2 Likes

The part that really had me laughing ā€˜Iā€™m not sure anyone wants to help us out.ā€™ Which club, even from a different league, ever helped another club?

2 Likes

I agree with the point that Man City have had a long term and systematic approach - obviously undergirded by cheating, to feign their real income status, to then spend against it, as though they were a going concern at that level.

I also remember (unless the memory is tricking me) that they splashed the cash early on, much more recklessly than now.

There is a definite sense that the way they went about their business is now harder to match, as there is more scrutiny. I think Newcastle will still find a way to cheat and pad the books - such as the sponsorship deals already in place. But doing it as brazenly might be more tricky.

Thatā€™s why I think all eyes are on the Man City case, because if they get away with it, Newcastle, and others, will be emboldened to do what they like.

2 Likes

fuck Amanda Staveley.

2 Likes

I assume he means some of the Saudi clubs arenā€™t going offer their talent up for free after all.

1 Like

Perhaps getting the excuses in first to justify signings from the Saudi clubs.

1 Like

no thanks. sheā€™s damaged goods.

10th in the league. Villa Park next. A loss there and Conference League is probably the best they can achieve this season.

Also not beating Fulham in the FA Cup might really put Eddies Job under threat.

2 Likes

Are these incidents happening more frequently or are they just getting more coverage?

Used to see to happen to us, Manchester or London clubs seems to have gone further a field.

1 Like