Alex OXLADE-CHAMBERLAIN: 2021/22

Congratulations Ox, with all the shit that’s going on in the world, it’s nice to have some good news.

4 Likes

Was a short cameo yesterday but I recollect twice he lost the back but didn’t track back to recover. It could be instructions, but I doubt that given he replaced Jota who was tirelessly running up and down the field.

His qualities are driving through the middle and taking those shots from outside the box, but he tries to do them both in almost every chance he gets, which could make him less impactful. Could be as he wants to impress in the little appearances he’s getting, but would be good if he after taking on a couple of players pass to better positioned ones.

1 Like

Personally not impressed with his cameo yesterday as well. He’s trying too hard I think and my perception is he wants to dribble past whoever is in front of him till space opens up and he can shoot. He did couple of things well, but someone of his quality and experience is expected to bring more into his game now.

Still think he’ll come good though. Probably needs a run of games.

3 Likes

Ox is out of sorts at the moment. The few minutes he gets is spent in finding his rhythm, specially the way we play. I think it would be better to start him. That way he may struggle initially, but will find the rhythm afterwards and would be effective for us.

I agree, it’s like he wants to showcase what he can do but completly ignores the state of the game… If you are coming on with 10mins to go and a 1 goal lead, don’t loose fucking posession cheaply. He should have watched what Milner did which was a beautiful Italian masterclass in shithousery timewasting.

I’m sure Klopp would be far more impressed with Ox if he read the game situation better and adapted to the need at the time.

He should’ve been moved on in the summer along with Minamino.

Just don’t think he is good enough to be honest, glimpses here and there, not consistent enough for me.

1 Like

Are you talking about last night or his tenure at Liverpool?

Ox isn’t the most consistent player and one of the reasons being, he hasn’t played consistently; mostly due to his fitness record.

1 Like

Agreed, I think when he gets a good run of games uninterrupted by injury it’ll be better. It tends to go forgotten that he was actually quite an important player in our league-winning season.

1 Like

CL winning season, wasn’t it?

He played quite a few minutes when we won the league too…

1 Like

I think I was thinking of our run to the final in 17/18.

1 Like

I think he was arguably more prominent in that run, but he was rather influential when he played in 2019-20.

This leads me to another point, for a season where we won the league after so long, I think we as a fanbase have surprisingly forgotten much of what actually went on that season, especially with regards to how particular players contributed, especially the players who tend to go under the radar, such as Keïta and Oxlade-Chamberlain, who combined for a total of 2303 minutes (813 for Keïta) that season, or an average of 12+ full games each. Milner did get 926 minutes, so Ox actually played more…

1 Like

That’s it exactly, he needs a run of games, not 5 minutes here and there. People have got short memories and seem to have forgotten the horrendous injury he sustained.

2 Likes

I would even say that’s basically true of all the less-favoured players we have in our team. Our squad depth just happens to be good enough that they’re kept out but when they get a chance, they can really do a job.

1 Like

@Kopstar @redalways AOC seasons in numbers

Season Games Mins Goals Assists
2017-18 42 2,048 5 8
2018-19 2 19 0 0
2019-20 43 2,225 8 2
2020-21 17 286 1 1
3 Likes

Really not too shabby at all. Did AOC get injured again in 19/20 then? Why the lack of game time last year??

He was injured in the later stages of 19-20 and only returned around the later stages of 20-21.

1 Like

He finished out 19-20 fine, but got hurt a bit in pre-season and just never really got going last season.

2 Likes

I love Ox and IMO he deserves more minutes. He needs consistent, extended run to get his game going. Being a sub for 5 and 10 minutes isn’t great for him.

5 Likes