Alex OXLADE-CHAMBERLAIN: 2021/22

I agree. It’s tough. But ultimately, if he has not done enough to play more frequently then this is the role and he has to be able to play well in it. It is the typicaly problem for a 4th choice CB. You will likely play too infrequently to get rhythm so you have to be able to turn it on at the drop of a hat. Think Sami playing a stormer against Utd in his final season after only being told he was going to play during warm up when one of the other CBs got hurt.

1 Like

Matip is one who fits that role. Out injured 3 months and the first match he comes in, he doesn’t look out of place and kind of continues where he left off.

3 Likes

It’s all well and good saying he needs a run of games and more minutes.

He had a full pre-season and got his start against Norwich, and he was one of the worst players on the pitch. Klopp started him in a few games earlier this year when returning from injury and he was the same in those.

He played very frequently (40 odd appearances) in 19/20 and never really found form that season either. He scored a decent amount but his overall play was quite poor and he was subbed out every single game he started.

He needs to play better to earn more minutes because at the moment there are a handful of better options.

With all that being said, he wasn’t that bad when he came on last night. Some poor touches but also one good pass and a good tackle.

I think he’s a square peg for a round hole here. He doesn’t ever play well on the wing, does his best work in the middle of the pitch. I was hoping Klopp used him more in the False 9 but that hasn’t materialized either.

Maybe Klopp has specific plans for Ox. I look at Keita, IMO he had a great preseason, started the first 2 league matches and looked good, then bench for Chelsea, 1 minute v Leeds.

My hope is Ox gets a start in next match and can get it going.

I think the simplest explanation is just that we should look longer-term instead of game-to-game. I’m betting virtually our entire squad will get used in the next few games, considering how tight the spacing is. Origi getting a start against Milan was probably a good indication of that. I’d expect us to rotate again but maybe keep key players against Crystal Palace.

I reckon Jürgen’s ideal is if we can balance out the minutes among the squad. A fit and firing Liverpool team from what we have, is terrifying enough for any opposition team, no matter which of the 24 (and more) we put out.

1 Like

Should get the Norwich game.

I don’t disagree. It’s why I’ve always believed in Ox while others shit on him. I love him and want nothing more than for him to get his game back. Miles to go in this season. He just has to take his opportunity when it’s presented.

1 Like

If ever there was a guy who needed a run of 3-5 games it’s this one.

Also he is a new dad - my 2 are 5 and 3 and I wouldn’t wanna go back to those first few weeks. Fucking zero sleep

3 Likes

Once again displaying that he’s not fit to play in midfield any more.

Nobody seems to like it, but he’s better out wide than he is in the middle now. Not to say he’s great out there but at least he’s closer to the goal and the midfield doesn’t fall apart.

Even Taki was a lot more effective in the advanced midfield role when he dropped back. Ox must be 7th or 8th choice now for that role.

2 Likes

He just needs to find his rhythm. He’s the fittest he’s been for a long while now. Got an assist yesterday even though he had a mediocre game.

Think he would benefit from the likes of Fab or Hendo in midfield alongside him. Someone that allows him to do him.

2 Likes

It’s not all about fitness and rhythm, muscles and physique, he also needs to think about his game more. Last night he was forcing it too much, took a million touches, too wild, lost possession too many times. Like he was on a trial or something. Hence why we moved him from central midfield to a more offensive position and took Taki’s performance to try and gel our game more from a central role. Of course, Ox has his natural abilities and he will never be a “patient” player, he’s direct and that’s it. But he needs to realize that playing for Liverpool and specifically, playing in midfield for Liverpool, it’s not all about receiving it on the turn, taking on a few players (trying to!), blast shots from everywhere and run out of breath after 60 minutes or so. I know that’s what most fans like and warm to, but if he’s still got eyes on that midfield spot (like he said in pre-season) or even for that false 9 role or even getting minutes this season, he needs to play smarter than that. Be a bit more disciplined on and off the ball, pick your moments when to go wild (realize the danger you create to your own team when you keep losing balls), sometimes try and combine more, put a few accurate passes together, share the game with others.

4 Likes

Agree, this is what’s happening. But a bit like Mane, I think he needs to play into form. He’s the kind of player that plays of instinct more. Whether or not he can add the thinking dimension (back) into his game is to be seen.

I think this season is his last real chance at Liverpool. No improvements this year and I’d not be surprised if he’s not here next season.

I feel the same about Ox as I did about Shaq, I am desperate for it to work here for him because he offers us something that not many others can, he can score really beauties from 25 yards plus (other player le can - however they tend not to take the shot on)

Ox and previously Shaq offered this.

I’d love him to get back to where he was before that injury v Roma as he was lighting it up week in week out

4 Likes

Oxy needs games to find his rhythm but he can’t get games without rhythm.

1 Like

He was pretty poor in the first half and just about decent in the second. What was appealing is that he kept going all game. He was hungry to get involved and make things happen. Most times it led to something negative taking place and he does need to play smarter but his attitude was flawless.

If he keeps trying, he’ll get more minutes which in turn will hopefully lead to him becoming a better option for Klopp.

1 Like

Interesting that Santi Cazorla is the best player he’s trained with. Mo, have a word! :rofl:

1 Like

Santi is boss.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Ox needs to start earning his wages.

1 Like

I read a worrying statement by Graeme Kelly on Twitter who has in the last got a fair bit right about the team. Apparently his response to playing right back was he’d rather sit in the bench…

Can’t believe that at all.

Firstly, Ox should be eager to be get whatever playing time he can, given the amount of time he has missed. He needs the minutes to get back up to speed.

Secondly, our full backs do a lot of attacking. Yes, he will need to defend sometimes but, given every team we play just aims to hit us on the counter, he should know what to expect.

Thirdly, Klopp would be furious with that attitude. If any player took that approach, they’d be out on their ear as soon as we could find a buyer.