Alex OXLADE-CHAMBERLAIN: 2021/22

I recollect him not wanting to play fullback and that was a reason not to join Chelsea?

1 Like

Yeah he hated it at Arsenalā€¦

Tbf, while itā€™s a demanding position to play for us, itā€™s also one of the most rewarding. Our fullbacks are more on the ball than pretty much any other player. He has the attributes to do it and heā€™d have more time on the ball with the pitch in front of him. If the chance came his way heā€™d be silly to throw a strop about it; it was at LB that Milner finally convinced fans of his worth to the team and he just grew in stature from there.

2 Likes

If that is true about his refusal to play at right backā€¦
Is that not the same as shitting on his employers of LFC, and more importantly, all the fans that have stood by him and his appalling formā€¦
Sometimes you have to think others and the team before yourselfā€¦ Its not as though he could play any worse at full back than in the roles he has taken up is itā€¦!
Anyhow, hope that statement from Kelly is nothing more than a rumourā€¦ Donā€™t really want to think badly of the Ox after the injuries he has had

He said it at Arsenal but they didnā€™t play RB like we play RB. Iā€™d be surprised if he expressed a similar view currently.

1 Like

He played wing back (sometimes even LWB) at Arsenal. And Conte wanted him at Chelsea to probably do the same. Iā€™d take these Twitter accounts with a nice pinch of salt.

I donā€™t disagree with any point, just repeating what someone who has had links with the first team before said.

Could be why heā€™s had fuck all minutes since Norwich.

I actually think heā€™d do well as a right back for us.

3 Likes

The tweet

1 Like

Seems incredible that any pro footballer would say something like that.
He should be happy to play in goal rather than sit on the bench.

1 Like

100% if true heā€™s nuts Iā€™d say itā€™s his last chance of having a role hereā€¦ especially with the emergence of Elliot and Jones.

At the minute I can only see Ox leaving on a free transfer in 18 months.
Really hope in the meantime, regardless of position, he starts putting in some improved performances when given an opportunity starting at Preston.

1 Like

isnā€™t that one reason why he left Arsenal??

That said, given that fact that injures and a couple of youngsters have pushed him down the pecking order it seems weird to be shunning an opportunity it push yourself back up the line. Even worse when you think of how our full backs are asked to play. Robbo and TAA are a million miles from what they would be under someone like Pulis, Alardyce and Hodgson.

Why would Gomez even ā€œmind having a goā€. He did a job there for us a number of times (better or worse, thatā€™s a different topic). He didnā€™t get a lot of minutes so far so if heā€™s needed anywhere in defence, he really shouldnā€™t mind one bit.

1 Like

If I am reading this right, this quote from Graeme Kelly is from when he was at Arsenal and I wouldnā€™t think heā€™d said it whilst with us. His senior teammates would be on to him and the reaction from Klopp would be that he wouldnā€™t be near any squad.

No way Ox says that.

The way we play with full backs that might not be a bad transition for him

Yeah, donā€™t buy that at all. Our full backs are more like wingers, and Ox circumstances are very different to those he had at Arsenal.

2 Likes

Canā€™t believe there are still people out there who believe anything that Graeme Kelly says.

1 Like

Who the f*ck is that guy anyway?

1 Like

I would imagine actually that it was the managerā€™s decision not to put him there. I think one of the biggest criticism many have of Ox is that heā€™s not very consistent, particularly during a match, so you really donā€™t want to risk having your right-back zone out for a bitā€¦

Just a season-ticket holder who fancies himself as an ITK. Been dining out for the last 3 years on correctly revealing that the Fekir transfer had fallen through on medical grounds before any of the media got hold of it. Since then heā€™s got absolutely nothing right as far as I know.