Alexis Mac Allister (CM) Brighton & Hove Albion

I think Naby Is a much more rounded player, in terms of featuring many of the attributes that both Mac Allister and Caicedo possess. That’s the reason we paid an incredible sum for him. Though before we realised he’s made of glass.

What I know is that we are desperate for both a more creative midfielder like Mac Allister and someone who can fight for a more defensive role with Fab and Bajcetic.

It might not be looking outside the box too much but I would take both Caicedo and Mac Allister if there was any chance Brighton would offload their two most important players in the same window (very unlikely).

Would love to see him in red but so much talk about it makes me suspicious.

1 Like

Yep, our actual transfers tend to break 20mins after they sign.

It didn’t happen with Thiago, Virg and many others though. It just depends whether a journalist gets wind of it. Whether that’s accidentally finding out or an agent/a club doing it for their own purposes. Sometimes everyone is on the same page and want to get the deal through quietly and sometimes thats not the case or is not possible.

1 Like

Virg was a transfer conducted by United on our behalf I’m convinced.

Anyone who hasn’t watched him in ten full games isn’t eligible to post in this thread.

And games for Argentina don’t count, because international football is crap.

4 Likes

He has a good shot from outside the box. Can consistently take the ball from the defence while being pressurised and start off an attack.

The scouting reports I’ve seen seem to suggest he needs a workhorse next to him to be fully effective, which imo we don’t really have at the moment besides an ageing Hendo. It makes the links to Mount, who is that kind of player, a bit easier to understand.

I could actually see them working as a pairing, although I’d want us to also strengthen at DM.

But will we replace an entire starting midfield this summer? Not sure.

2 Likes

I think those reports are a lazy extension of the “if you’re good on the ball you must not work hard” trope. I think it doesnt just sell him short, but it sells Caicedo short by positioning him as Alexis’ water carrier. If you take the most hopeful interpretation of the Mount link of how he could fit into our midfield, Alexis is already that player. Energetic, good on the ball, good passer and able to break forward with runs off the ball.

I think he is as close to a plug and play transfer as you get.

2 Likes

So no one is eligible to post :thinking:

2 Likes

Mac Allister is far more active defender than Mount.

6 Likes

I like the player.

He seems to have made big steps in a short space of time, from Brighton under two managers, between two positions and then at international level.

Started coming in the team as more of a #10 in the beginning, but has then been more the other double pivot alongside Caicedo.

I remember Lijnders praising him when he was talking about Argentina’s World Cup. His understanding what needs to be done in different phases of the game, in relation to Messi. For Argentina in last years, it was often the case that Messi needed both protection off the ball, but players who could combine with him.

First thing that catches my eye is his general calmness and very natural touches on the ball. Able to make certain things look very easy, which is difficult. I have a feeling that deep down, he knows he belongs at the top level and is just doing his thing patiently. Noticed a few days ago that his English is very solid, no problems at all.

Seems to be someone who handles the ball very well, very natural in small spaces. Able to shield it, turn, shrug off opponents with his body, beat people with some very subtle moves. Look to pass forward. But then he also has that burst in him, when there’s an opportunity to smell and arrive in the box. He reminds me of Gundogan in some moves. Some very convincing penalties as well.

The club this summer is going so far in a direction which I like, at least stylistically. I wanted two dynamic players, but one more who you could call “working-qualities” and the other more “playmaking-qualities”. It’s evident that we need fresh legs, but it’s also evident that we need quality as well. I do have to say that I absolutely don’t see why we would also need Mount, if we get Mac.

Whatever happens with Thiago this summer, we still need those qualities in our team. It goes together, we cannot just run all day, but then lose balls and chase it back all the time. The better you keep the ball, the more effective you can win it back and in higher areas. The better you chase and win back, you defend better and have even more of the ball.

Obviously the price will be very interesting. I’ve read in Joyce’s “breaking” piece a few days ago that it’s still unsure if there’s really a clause or not. Maybe, if the deal is possible so early in the summer, it could be also time related. Brighton were probably well prepared for this, doing what they can to prolong with him, knowing that post-WC, there could be a chance to make big money on him.

Also, we’ll see how he is in transitions, especially defensive or better to say, how can he defend bigger spaces and opponent’s counter attacks. But generally, that’s much more of a Liverpool transfer. Players who often don’t have big club experience. Stylistical fit I think is right. But then the finance part and if he can really do it at a top club, help the team go back to competing and winning titles, that will remain.

8 Likes

It’s easier for a CM to adapt to different positions in the middle … Whether it’s a defensive or an attacking role than it is for someone who’s more like Mount to adapt.

I like Mount fwiw , not sure he’s worth the price tag though.

Something about Mount / Gravenberch / McAllister as the touted signings screams wrong.

Caicedo instead of Gravenberch would make it a better window.

Haven’t seen enough of Ugarte (except the YouTube shows) but if more knowledgeable people insist he’s fit for Liverpool , who am I to gainsay ?

If we sign Mac Allister,

that would be Diaz, Nunez, Alisson, Fabinho and Mac Allister all flying back and fore from South America for international matches,

hope this doesnt affect their performance or that of the teams in EPL games.

1 Like

And Ugarte :wink:

1 Like

https://twitter.com/AndyNaylorBHAFC/status/1655157224044478465

Brighton’s main man for transfer rumours, apparently.

1 Like

Although I didn’t watch a second of it because reasons, everyone was also raving about him for Argentina, which sort of negates the idea of him just being part of a good Brighton system.

Why the hell would Brighton “not be expecting” any contact? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Are we supposed to have called them up to confirm we’re not interested?

1 Like

You might say that for both of them, I think. For me, MacAllister has a lot of grit but his technical ability stands out, while it’s reversed for Caicedo because he’s a bundle of energy. Whatever Brighton’s scouts are doing in South America deserves them a pay rise.

On a side note, I’m itching to see what Klopp and his folks think about Fabinho’s future role and perhaps his replacement/successor who could be bought this summer. Say, MacAllister signs and probably takes Jones’ place in the starting XI, with Trent playing his new hybrid role - does Klopp go for a destroyer or a controller type to replace Fabinho?

3 Likes

How much would the club have to pay for him? I don’t know him well, so can’t pass judgment on the player. But Brighton are obviously doing something right, and he’s part of their strong midfield. Still a bit surprised that Caicedo isn’t our target, but here you go…

1 Like