An Comhrá na hÉireann - The Ireland Thread!

Fair enough.

But just to forewarn you, that banning all flights does mean you will be stuck with me, @SBYM and @JU97ICE forever.

Just clarifying that you are ok with this arrangement? :wink:

Two out of three ain’t bad. :wink:

As you point out COG, planes aren’t the problem: All modes of transport are. 1 person in a combustion car emits more carbon per km than a person sitting on a plane. Putting 4 more people in that car and the carbon emissions per person equation looks a bit better. Cruise ships are almost twice as bad as a plane per km.

But then for me, a flight back home to Aus is about 16,000km, and if you are climate conscious, then it is difficult to justify that. That’s about 5.6T of carbon emissions for a return journey. And there is no way of making that journey without emitting a shit-tonne of carbon, or alternatively you have a yacht and a spare 6 weeks.

I think I read that such a journey is equivalent to a first world person’s annual carbon footprint. Perhaps some people justify by carbon offsetting but I am not totally convinced by that.

It’s at times like this that you realise meeting and falling in love with someone from literally the other side of the world has its disadvantages.

2 Likes

To get back to Ireland, and the celebration of being Irish.
To all the Irish amongst us, and those who love the country…
100 years since the death of Michael Collins.
Nations are built on the shoulders of such men.

7 Likes

Quite astonishing that he was only 31. I follow an account on Instagram that is dedicated to him and was interested to see some people today calling him a traitor for “giving away” the north. Obviously the divisions that resulted in his death still exist to some extent…so not necessarily a hero to all Irish people?

Not a hero to all Irish people, as Civil War politics dominated our landscape for far too long. I remember a dyed in the wool Fianna Fail supporter describing him as a traitor, but unable to quantify why. He was just continuing a narrative that his predecessors had spouted at the time.

Accounts of the time question the validity of the Neil Jordan biopic, but I suppose history is often poorly written, or is biased in certain ways.

But as you said, for a young man he left an eternal mark on our country.

2 Likes

my kid had done 40 flights before he turned 7. 17 were free (before he was two)

My mam used to say the same thing about Dev and my mam was always right

1 Like

I didn’t find the documentary the other night all that enlightening.The outcome was as we were always told,that he was shot in an ambush but no one knows who pulled the trigger or if De Velera had any real knowledge the ambush was taking place.

However,he has his own spot in Glasnevin for a reason

The documentary told us nothing new.
I hathought the FF/FG axis would mean the veils of secrets would be somewhat lifted, but no.

For whatever reason i wasn’t aware that all government records pertaining to the civil war were destroyed in 1932.Any idea if this was done by the outgoing or the incoming government.Could evidence have been purposefully destroyed with that decision.

Not sure
I imagine the outgoing would have more access?

Planning a 4 day trip to Ireland to Limerick. We need things to do. Disabled access is essential for whatever we end doing. Also would have to be fairly cheap if possible, any suggestions\ideas would be great.

Go elsewhere.

1 Like

@DublinRed I know you’re from Dublin but I do need proper advice. :joy:

Limerick is the only city in Ireland I’ve not been to.Skirted close to it many times on the way to Kerry and Clare but never ventured in.

To be fair it’s come a long way since the regeneration.

Limerick city has a terrible name, probably the last county I would tell anyone to visit, Kerry, Wicklow or Donegal are the best.

Limerick city is not that bad. It used to have a bad name but now it’s no different to any other city in Ireland.

Look up The Hunt Museum. It might be of interest to you. It’s in the city.
Lough Gur is a nice scenic spot. 20 minute drive out from the city.
Cresent shopping centre has everything if you want to do some shopping. 5 minute drive from city centre.
My favourite spot is the Ballyhoura mountain bike trails. 52 kms of trails. Up there with the best in europe, its an adrenaline rush going down hill at full speed☺. That activity wouldnt suit you though.

1 Like

Went to Ireland had a fantastic time went to Kilarney, Limerick, Dingle, and Lahinch and the Ring of Kerry. Well worth it.

5 Likes