An Comhrá na hÉireann - The Ireland Thread!

I think we drive on the correct side!!!

Even a trip to Galway city makes sense if on a train and time limited.
Its a vibrant, cultural city and is compact enough to see in a half day.
Plus, if on the train you can have a few pints and no worries

2 Likes

the term Celtic comes to mind, but it may be a bit more than that as well.

1 Like

:joy::joy:

Uber is your friend. Enjoy and knock back a few pints of the black for me. Also, see if you can find some vintage Jamieson… I hear it’s worth it.

We play Wolves in the last game of the league that Sunday.Since you’re only going over that morning i’d just plan on strolling around the city with a bit of local sightseeing before finding a good spot to watch it and make a day of it.

Had you got longer and a car Galway and the surrounding counties are a must see for anyone visiting Ireland .Cliff of Moher,the Burren,the Aran islands,Doolin,Westport,Cong(the quiet man) and Athenry (to say you were there ) are all great places to visit.
I love the west coast.

3 Likes

It will depend on what is going on in the league. If it is all over, I’ll probably just watch the match later in the week - but if it happens to be on in a good pub when we stop for a pint, who knows?

No Uber in Ireland. Just your standard taxi.

Any hotel recommendations for the city? Not too fussed about budget, looking for something memorable.

Getting the train down on the sunday morning makes things a little more difficult(timing wise) but you can take the 8 O Clock train from Heuston to Galway on sunday morning,getting there about 10.30.If you’re looking to do anything outside the city then the burren and the cliffs of moher are probably the quickest and easiest to do
https://www.lallytours.com/en/galway/how-to-get-from-galway-to-the-cliffs-of-moher

Directions on Getting Here | Cliffs of Moher Visitor Center

If you can afford it then a taxi may be the quickest option although guided tours would be the preferred one imo.

Aran islands
Galway to inis mor on that sunday leaves around 1 and departs back around 5(pick your times)
https://www.aranislandferries.com/booking

If you could get to Galway earlier that morning(Dublin to Galway by car is 2.5 hrs) there is a day tour of inis mor and the cliffs of moher(fron the sea i think) but it leaves Galway at 9.30.
https://www.aranislandferries.com/day-tours/galway-city/cliffs-of-moher

For accommadation anywhere close to Eyre square is good for convenience.I’ve stayed in the
Western Hotel and it was fine but quietish
the Skeffington arms which was very lively
the Imperial which was full of stags/hens
all of which are on or just off eyre square.
Alternatively you could head to the Jurys inn,my better half has stayed there, near the latin quarter only a few minutes walk and closer to more of the better(imo) bars and restaurants.

The is plenty to do and see in a day in Galway,imo the livliest City in the country.

3 Likes

Isn’t Galway and surrounding area where the John Wayne film The Quiet Man was located…
Some sightseeing to be had there then also

Cong,just north of Galway .You can do a walking tour of the village which takes about an hour.
Coach loads of Americans visit on a regular basis.

I must say I’m disappointed that advice for where to go in Galway on a Liverpool fan forum and no-one so far has suggested the insperation for one of our greatest songs - Athenry

Hello

An Comhrá na hÉireann - The Ireland Thread! - #126 by RedSevenstrong text

1 Like

Nope, never saw that, so it never happened! :wink:

Uber is in Dublin for years, I’m sure it’s in Galway also.

Sorry, I meant it’s not like the usual uber like in America, as in it’s still a taxi with the standard taxi fare and not cheaper.

This has made my day. We need more kids doing this in school!

1 Like

What a historic day for Ireland’s aviation history.

1 Like

I don’t want to spend 3 weeks on a boat to Australia or Canada and get sea sickness. When you are travelling long distances, flying is a necessary evil
Aviation engineers are trying to find ways to be environmentally friendly using green fuel.

Well, I need to see my family! Why shouldn’t i travel? Say it to those who fly in a private jet for 10 minutes to get their favourite lattes or footballers, CEOS, Oligarghs etc

If I was going on short distances, I always prefer going by train, London to Glasgow for instance

1 Like