An Comhrá na hÉireann - The Ireland Thread!

I think the problem is, the moment the funding is cut-off the government will be accused of some sectarian bias/scheme. Besides, may be people in high places like to keep this going. It’s not their lives that get ruined.

If you only knew the extent of the money that is thrown at this place, all to ‘keep the peace’, or more like keep the dup votes in Westminster. The fairly recent enquiry into the RHI scandal found that the DUP’s special advisors let a ludicrously financially out of contol sustainable energy scheme go on because they thought the money was coming out of a Westminster budget. Turned out not to be. Also turned out that many of their friends and families were taking advantage of it too, and Moy Park owners from Brazil were using it as a way to increase profits from chicken farmers here. Many more similar bottomless money pits here.

3 Likes

Has anyone seen @T.C.B ? He hasn’t been around for a while.
I hope is alright. He is greatly missed.

1 Like

:sob:

Do you suppose the Irish will heal their wound anytime soon (let’s say 10 years)???

Not sure what you mean?

1 Like

No chance, too many parents are still encouraging their kids to hate.

Just watched a film called The Journey…
Well worth a watch for anyone with the slightest interest in the past troubles

Never been into an Irish pub that didn’t have music on the menu

2 Likes

Movie or documentary???

lftikar… it is a both a book and a dance company that does dancing tours acting out the story

1 Like

Don’t care much about the music or dancing but I’ll take it when it is performed by ladies like that. :innocent:

2 Likes

:rofl:

Irish music has a tune that I can’t relate to any genre. Hypnotic comes close to describe it.

1 Like

Never heard it before!

Has its uses the forum then… :0)

:joy:

5 Likes

Even I know Sean Corcoran - and I haven’t lived in Dublin for 30 years. He’s still mates with John Murphy and Jim Brown AFAIK

It appears the time of travelling for business is about to resume, so here is a question:

What is there to do in Galway on a Sunday in May? (probably 5/22)

1 Like

If you have a car, drive out to Spiddal and see the rugged west. If you can stay in Spiddal sample some oysters and Guinness and see if there is a game of cards going in the pub.
In the city stroll down Shop Street and head towards the Claddagh. Best restaurants and pubs anywhere. Shop Street is a hive of activity, very good buskers and entertainment.

If you have a couple of days consider the Aran Islands. I prefer Inisheer to Inishmore, as there is less of the diddley aye music and appeasing to tourists.
If you choose Inisheer keep an eye out for a man in a leather tabard makinh ogham necklaces. Unique personalised presents to bring home. Get the names engraved in ogham, ancient alphabet on uniquely shaped stones. The guy gives a written explanation of the work.

There is loads to find around Galway, the only factor is the weather. It rains a lot!

Ps
Day trips to the islands are available

3 Likes

I don’t expect to have a car, flying into Dublin overnight Friday, have a couple of obligations Saturday, but was thinking of taking a Sunday morning train to Galway unless the weather is dire. Back to Dublin for a Monday afternoon meeting and home Tuesday morning. I was thinking the Aran Islands and the Cliffs of Moher some day when the schedule is more relaxed.

I don’t like short-term car rentals in countries where people drive on the wrong damn side of the road. I find with jet lag I am 90% functional, but that layer of automaticity starts doing a lot of work, and my ‘muscle memory’ is all wrong. I’d rather just walk around the city safely and get a feel for the place.

2 Likes