An Old Fart's Dream

the date was Apr 26, 2019. I was quite involved on TIA working out the logistics of finding a ticket and meeting up with some of the great local folks that were part of that community. Most of which have migrated here in some way. I had a specific date range I was going to be in the UK for so really only had opportunity for one match, and somehow lucked out through an old teammate who still had some connections in the UK for that match. I ended up getting a front-row seat in the kop. for £50. But I gave him £100 and a bottle of fine Canadian whiskey as a thanks. very nice fellow, even dropped the ticket off at our AirBNB host for me since he was going to be out of town.

My wife gave me carte blanche on that day to do whatever I wanted. we spent the morning together (our son was with us), had lunch and did the Beatles tour together then I hopped in a taxi to meet a few lads for pre-match pints at HotelTIA. Saw Jamie Webster play, sung some songs and took lots of pictures outside the grounds. very few inside, none during the match. Just soaked up the atmosphere of a 5-0 drubbing of Huddersfield and the return of AOC from his injury.

Wish I’d had the legs to carry on drinking into the night with the local lads, but the jet lag and HEAVY schedule of the prior 5 days of the trip finally caught up to me

Worth every penny. I’d do it again in a heartbeat.

Love to @RedJedi and @Klopptimist for making that day so special. that was #1 on the bucket list.

6 Likes

There are a lot of options for hospitality. Was the £300 for one of the expensive ones?

Was the cheapest that I saw, not certain as I didn’t check every option

The prices of hospitality are eye watering expensive. They have been for years.

Before I left the UK, I took a different approach. I registered as a fan of other clubs. If it’s a mid week game, those clubs far away Brighton, Southampton, Norwich etc often struggle to use their allocation. Especially if it’s the League cup.

You can get an official ticket cheap. The downside is you need to pretend to be a neutral, plus you typically need to wait for it to go through the priority layers first.

Not ideal, but it’s the budget option.

1 Like

point of note, I met a fella on the ride home who gave me his number. said he was a season ticket holder, and would rent a room which included a matchday ticket. I still have his number, so @Bekloppt if you’re interested I can send you his name and contact number and you can investigate further. send me a PM if so.

1 Like

@Bekloppt Been a Liverpool supporter for 30 years now and went to Anfield on a regular basis. When I (semi)retired between 10 and 5 years ago I went more frequently sometimes 2 to 3 times a year. It would cost me between 300 and 400 euro’s flight, hotel and tickets and that were fine.

The two years before COVID when we starting to win things, together with the signing of van Dijk prices went to the roof. That same trip would cost me between 1.000 and 1.200 euros’s so I said fuck it, I’ll watch it in O’Casey’s my local in the Hague and I’ll return when we start losing again. :slight_smile:

Hope you have a great time!

3 Likes

The packages usually get cheaper nearer the day of the game. It depends whether you want to take the risk of waiting and not getting in at all. Buy now and you know you’re definitely in and you can start shopping round for flights/hotels etc. Save a bit of money that way.

I don’t have a problem with the hospitality prices. Let the club charge what they like. It’s intended for people coming for a once in a lifetime treat. A bucket list thing. Not regular match-goers.

Oh and btw touts defintely are cunts.

4 Likes

Ah, I didn’t know that. Cheers for letting me know!

1 Like

I definitely fall into that category!

Just do the hospitality…. Seriously if you are having to fly and get hotels to come here, it’s your first time or the sort of thing you only get to do every 5-10 years then spend the £300. It’s not like you’re going to regret it is it!

1 Like

Thanks again everyone. I’ve taken your advice and am going for hospitality at the Arsenal game in November. They seem like the ideal opponents. Will try to make a game of it and we usually prevail. Unlikely to be a dull 0-0. I’m sure Sky will change the time, but that’s ok.
The only problem is Covid…

6 Likes

Google P1 Travel Liverpool

2 Likes

Did it for my 50th - was a great experience. We did hospitality in the main stand. Pricey, but worth it to not have to stress or worry about tickets being good.

Think it was 150-200 a ticket then

You must be in your 70s now then :wink:

Hi @Bekloppt ,
I just renewed my membership. I could try and get a ticket for you if you like, as i am not using it for tickets. Since, i am a carer for my mum and i cannot travel out of London.

1 Like

Be careful @Maria

I have a season ticket and before it was easy to give you mate your card to get in.

Now that tickets have gone digital you can only transfer your digital ticket to another memeber. T and Cs say that you also have to have id.

1 Like

@Maria and @Bekloppt you can link your membership so Maria can transfer the ticket to him or something. You just need to set up a supporter ID I think so you have a membership number then Maria should be able to add you to her friends and family.

1 Like

But only before Aug 11th.

Oh sorry didn’t know.

So you have 3 days to get that and the members sales are particularly notorious for being difficult to get tickets

1 Like